4911 replies to this topic

#4901 chaz

chaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,604 posts
  • LocationEastleigh Hampshire

Posted 16 June 2018 - 16:42

It could have been a meteor kit. We were asked if our GER van was theirs by a few people. So it could be one of theirs.
Marc

Maybe, but I have had the van a long time. I bought the kit at Telford something like twenty years ago and knowing how kits get passed from one range to another it's quite likely to turn up on a different list, or to vanish without trace....

Chaz

• Informative/Useful x 1
  • Like x 1

#4902 chaz

chaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 17:05

<<<  A plea for help  >>>

Dock Green is booked to appear at the Peterborough show on December 8th/9th.

At the moment it looks as though I am going to be an operator short. If you would like to spend a weekend operating Dock Green please let me know.

No experience of operating 7mm models is required but you will need to be prepared to work to a sequence and to "fit in" with the way we do things. A familiarisation and training session can be provided on the Saturday morning before the public enter and I would stand alongside you for your first stint on the rota.

Can I suggest that if you are interested you send me a PM and we can swap email addresses.

<<<  Your chance to join the team for some serious fun  >>>

Too late I'm afraid - someone else got in ahead of you.

Chaz

Edited by chaz, 17 June 2018 - 20:07 .

#4903 chaz

chaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:02

The last three photos from the Aylesbury show.

P1070937-2.jpg

A view from the railway bridge - we must be in a train crossing the yard. I like these types of views, from the side or the back, but they do give rise to problems with backgrounds. I could spend a long time at the computer messing about with Photoshop :nono: but I would rather do some modelling :sungum: .  

Two more views...

P1070946-2.jpg

Wha....!

P1070950-2.jpg

Err....

(Steve - one of the team - took the chance of the quiet half-hour at the end of Sunday afternoon to try out his model. It could have been worse, it could have been a pannier tank...)

• Like x 13
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 2
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1

#4904 keefr2

keefr2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSwansea, S.Wales

Posted 18 June 2018 - 20:57

Wonderful, my all time favourite steam loco!! (yes, really!)

Keith

#4905 bgman

bgman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationDevon knows ! Now where did I put that cake tin ?

Posted 18 June 2018 - 21:05

The last three photos from the Aylesbury show.

attachicon.gifP1070937-2.jpg

A view from the railway bridge - we must be in a train crossing the yard. I like these types of views, from the side or the back, but they do give rise to problems with backgrounds. I could spend a long time at the computer messing about with Photoshop :nono: but I would rather do some modelling :sungum: .  

Two more views...

attachicon.gifP1070946-2.jpg

Wha....!

attachicon.gifP1070950-2.jpg

Err....

(Steve - one of the team - took the chance of the quiet half-hour at the end of Sunday afternoon to try out his model. It could have been worse, it could have been a pannier tank...)

Oy !   :jester:

Moving on swiftly, I certainly feel the photographs do your layout justice and would agree that modelling takes first place above messing photoshopping your images .

Grahame

• Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4906 sb67

sb67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • LocationRomford, Essex.

Posted 18 June 2018 - 21:20

The loco does look good, did they ever venture into North London much in real life?
Steve.

#4907 chaz

chaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:30

The loco does look good, did they ever venture into North London much in real life?
Steve.

I don't know about "much" but I have seen photos of Q1s on ER metals in London. Cross-London traffic was always going to put a "foreign" loco into unfamiliar territory at one end of the route. However Steve's Q1 model is unlikely to become a regular feature on Dock Green.  :nono:

Chaz

PS - I have just found a photo in Brooksbank's "Triumph and Beyond" (P103). 33023 is pictured passing Harringay Up Goods signal box in 1960.

Edited by chaz, 19 June 2018 - 08:01 .

• Thanks x 1
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#4908 Hal Nail

Hal Nail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:27

Whilst it is arguably aesthetically challenged, that Q1 rather compliments the industrial nature of the layout I think!
  • Agree x 3

#4909 chaz

chaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:58

Whilst it is arguably aesthetically challenged, that Q1 rather compliments the industrial nature of the layout I think!

Yes I agree. Incidentally it's a particularly British attitude to require a locomotive to look good - most of the world look at them as functional machines - such adjectives as "elegant" or "beautiful" would be considered inappropriate. Efficiency and economy would be given priority - rightly so.

However any inter-regional traffic would be likely to fetch up at Ferme Park yards. "Foreign" locos would be unlikely to go any further and a trip working to Dock Green would almost certainly involve a Hornsey loco'. 

We only invoke Rule One when it suits us, don't we?

Chaz

Edited by chaz, 20 June 2018 - 13:03 .

• Like x 4

#4910 Hal Nail

Hal Nail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 18:46

"Foreign" locos would be unlikely to go any further and a trip working to Dock Green would almost certainly involve a Hornsey loco'. 

Presumably foreign locos came with an equally foreign crew who had to be on hand to work the loco back again: Did they generally arrange a return trip the same day?

Edited by Hal Nail, 20 June 2018 - 19:03 .

#4911 chaz

chaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:40

Presumably foreign locos came with an equally foreign crew who had to be on hand to work the loco back again: Did they generally arrange a return trip the same day?

I don't know but I am guessing - yes.

#4912 The Bigbee Line

The Bigbee Line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationWatton

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:08

I don't know but I am guessing - yes.

A bit late with a reply.... the crew could go back “pass” and the loco then marooned until a crew with the knowledge could get it back.

Edited by The Bigbee Line, 12 August 2018 - 22:37 .

• Thanks x 1
  • Informative/Useful x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 7mm, layout, 1950s, ER, London, O gauge, LNER