chaz

It could have been a meteor kit. We were asked if our GER van was theirs by a few people. So it could be one of theirs.

Marc

Maybe, but I have had the van a long time. I bought the kit at Telford something like twenty years ago and knowing how kits get passed from one range to another it's quite likely to turn up on a different list, or to vanish without trace....

Chaz

<<<  A plea for help  >>>

Dock Green is booked to appear at the Peterborough show on December 8th/9th.

At the moment it looks as though I am going to be an operator short. If you would like to spend a weekend operating Dock Green please let me know.

No experience of operating 7mm models is required but you will need to be prepared to work to a sequence and to "fit in" with the way we do things. A familiarisation and training session can be provided on the Saturday morning before the public enter and I would stand alongside you for your first stint on the rota.

Can I suggest that if you are interested you send me a PM and we can swap email addresses.

<<<  Your chance to join the team for some serious fun  >>>

Too late I'm afraid - someone else got in ahead of you.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

The last three photos from the Aylesbury show.

post-9071-0-44503800-1529308483.jpg

A view from the railway bridge - we must be in a train crossing the yard. I like these types of views, from the side or the back, but they do give rise to problems with backgrounds. I could spend a long time at the computer messing about with Photoshop :nono: but I would rather do some modelling :sungum: .  

Two more views...

post-9071-0-13517800-1529308759.jpg

Wha....!

post-9071-0-46608500-1529308815.jpg

Err....

(Steve - one of the team - took the chance of the quiet half-hour at the end of Sunday afternoon to try out his model. It could have been worse, it could have been a pannier tank...)

• Like 17

The last three photos from the Aylesbury show.

attachicon.gifP1070937-2.jpg

A view from the railway bridge - we must be in a train crossing the yard. I like these types of views, from the side or the back, but they do give rise to problems with backgrounds. I could spend a long time at the computer messing about with Photoshop :nono: but I would rather do some modelling :sungum: .  

Two more views...

attachicon.gifP1070946-2.jpg

Wha....!

attachicon.gifP1070950-2.jpg

Err....

(Steve - one of the team - took the chance of the quiet half-hour at the end of Sunday afternoon to try out his model. It could have been worse, it could have been a pannier tank...)

Oy !   :jester:

Moving on swiftly, I certainly feel the photographs do your layout justice and would agree that modelling takes first place above messing photoshopping your images .

Grahame

The loco does look good, did they ever venture into North London much in real life?

Steve.

I don't know about "much" but I have seen photos of Q1s on ER metals in London. Cross-London traffic was always going to put a "foreign" loco into unfamiliar territory at one end of the route. However Steve's Q1 model is unlikely to become a regular feature on Dock Green.  :nono:

Chaz

PS - I have just found a photo in Brooksbank's "Triumph and Beyond" (P103). 33023 is pictured passing Harringay Up Goods signal box in 1960.

Edited by chaz

Whilst it is arguably aesthetically challenged, that Q1 rather compliments the industrial nature of the layout I think!

Yes I agree. Incidentally it's a particularly British attitude to require a locomotive to look good - most of the world look at them as functional machines - such adjectives as "elegant" or "beautiful" would be considered inappropriate. Efficiency and economy would be given priority - rightly so.

However any inter-regional traffic would be likely to fetch up at Ferme Park yards. "Foreign" locos would be unlikely to go any further and a trip working to Dock Green would almost certainly involve a Hornsey loco'. 

We only invoke Rule One when it suits us, don't we?

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

"Foreign" locos would be unlikely to go any further and a trip working to Dock Green would almost certainly involve a Hornsey loco'. 

Presumably foreign locos came with an equally foreign crew who had to be on hand to work the loco back again: Did they generally arrange a return trip the same day?

Edited by Hal Nail

Presumably foreign locos came with an equally foreign crew who had to be on hand to work the loco back again: Did they generally arrange a return trip the same day?

I don't know but I am guessing - yes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Dock Green's next outing is coming up.

We will be at the show in Brighton on the 17/18th November.

The venue is the Patcham Library & Community Centre, Ladies Mile Road, Brighton BN1 8TA.

See you there? Any RMwebbers who do go, do say hello.

Chaz

• Like 4

I will of course take the usual batch of snaps at the Brighton show and will post the best of them here.

Here's a link to the club website. It's a modest show but if you are in the area worth a look - Dock Green is always worth more than a passing glance (so I am told).

http://www.brightonmrc.com/exhibition.htm

Chaz

• Like 1

Curses, Moriarty, foiled again.

Have a great show, Chas. I will see Dock Green in the flesh one day...

Best

Simon

We haven't done Kent yet - if you got me an invitation we could come to you....

Yes, I think so. June, I think. Usually the same weekend as my mother’s birthday, so being a good.boy, I’ll be 300 miles north...

Canterbury have a show in January, Ashford is February, Faversham in September, Folkestone in October, Thanet in November.

There may be others!

Best

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed the Brighton show. Apart from Dock Green there were a variety of layouts from a round-roundy with several circulating trains (very popular with the numerous children attending) to a pre-grouping LBSCR scene. A station with fully interlocked signalling, operated in accordance with the rules of the time. 

I will post a few photos of Dock Green taken at the show soon (still recovering!).

Chaz

OK, the Brighton show.

First two photos are of the only new "scenic" feature - Frank.

post-9071-0-67258100-1542708261.jpg

There he is sitting on the fire escape, reading the paper. he must have a friend inside who will push the bar down to open the door and let him in when he knocks.

post-9071-0-76342700-1542708362.jpg

Does he do this every day? They must be old news strewn around him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to a sorry tale - last week having got the J6 back from the builder, who was correcting a fault, I reinstalled the DCC chip. I put up my 5 foot long test track and checked the loco to make sure that it would work - no problem, it did. I was pushed for time so I decided to do the ESU motor tune-up on Dock Green before the show started. WOOPS - something went very wrong - the loco would not respond to the handset and just ran forward with its whistle sounding all the time and ignored any button presses. DCC users will know of the CV8 reset - this also had no effect.

I could not use the loco but I did grab a few snaps with the DCC power off.

post-9071-0-43160600-1542708890.jpg

I have added a bit more weathering since the last photos I posted of the loco using weathering powders. 

post-9071-0-94839700-1542709053.jpg

Looks nice but doesn't go!

More photos later.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 11

Frustrating but when you said you put it on the 5 foot track, I thought you were going to say it took off like a greyhound and headed off into the abyss. So could be worse?!

It definitely does look nice though!

Frustrating indeed. The ESU Loksound decoder will go back to South West Digital for testing and (maybe) replacement. I certainly won't get it back in time for the next show so I have ordered a Lenz (non-sound) decoder which will give me a working, but silent, model.

Chaz

A few more photos taken at Brighton. First two more of the J6, featuring the tender.

post-9071-0-19829400-1542909658.jpg

post-9071-0-71091400-1542909688.jpg

And a couple of close-ups of wagons.

post-9071-0-78027200-1542909714.jpg

post-9071-0-51597000-1542909774.jpg

That last photo features the anachronistic ex-GNR horse-box and an unfitted SR van known as "limping Lulu". I suspect one of its axles is bent.

More later.

Chaz

• Like 8

Dock Green's final outing this year is at Peterborough on December 8/9th. I have no firm invitations for next year yet so if you want to see my layout....

Here's a link to the show website.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/shows/show/the-national-festival-of-railway-modelling

If you go, come and say hello. We don't bite!

Chaz