More photos of the warehouse, showing it's current state....
The building in place on the layout. On the left is an (odd looking?) extension finished with corrugated plastic and a lot of Peco track pins representing bolts. I didn't want even more brick and needed something big to hide the end of the cassette area. Most of the buildings are not yet weathered and therefore look much too new. I will weather them when they are all in place - this way I hope to get a consistent look (and to reveal detail like bolt heads that the flat paint has tended to hide).
Closer view of the LH end. The platform surface is dark grey card - it badly needs repair patches, seams, areas of different shades of grey etc - a job for later. The track along the platform is perilously close to the baseboard edge and I will be fitting a wooden fence along the front to prevent any accidents befalling (sorry!) the stock.
The RH end showing the brick extension filling the gap between the main building and the (unfinished) road bridge. This extension is shaped to fit against the bridge and is, I hope, typical of how buildings were often shoe-horned into tight spaces.
The back end of the bridge is cut away to allow access to the cassette area. This cut will be screened by a retaining wall just behind the headshunt, which you can see emerging beyond the staff access stairs. The wall on the far side of the bridge will have advertisement hoardings above it to further block the view - a job for later.
Close up of one of the five downpipes with cast white-metal hoppers and 2mm plastic rod "pipes". I formed the bottom curve by heating gently over a candle flame and setting the shape on a drawing of the required angle. The pipe clamps are to a compromise design which doesn't bear really close examination! Nice quoins, but again photography shows up where a little more work is required!
Fittings made for the downpipe clamps. That backplate looks very crude in this close up! The plastic rod (1.2mm) was again heated over a flame and then curved round a bit of spare downpipe. I drilled two holes in the building and pushed the "U" shaped rod through the backplate and into the holes, trapping the downpipe in place. I found it easier to guide the clips into the holes with the legs cut to different lengths. Often the springiness of the rod was enough to hold the clamp securely. If not pulling the clamp away slightly and applying a touch of CA did the trick.
This is a big building! It needs to be to make an effective screen.
The doors are all individually planked from 0.8mm plywood. The (non-moving) sliding doors are stuck on top of the walls with thin packing under them - which unfortunately doesn't show in this photo - so they look as though they will move. I would have liked to model some of the doors open, but the industrial siding cassette area is just behind the wall. The "people" doors are glued to small pieces of foamboard attached to the back of the wall so that they are inside the reveals. The hinged double doors and their frame are also fixed from the back. The hinges are cut from cereal box card. The boltheads on these hinges, the door knobs on the people doors and the bolts on the canopy are all Peco track pins. I got through a lot of those.
Flash photography is too good at showing up all those little places that the paint brush missed....yet another job for later.
Edited by chaz, 10 July 2017 - 07:17 .