Dapol Class 56 - Photo Review

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Just called Hattons - they tell me the blue class 56 is still 'on order'. Not quite sure what that means, but my experience is that they are usually very fast at getting new stock photographed and on the website and sent out to customers, so this all seems a little out of the ordinary?

I agree...the railfreight grey one appeared sharpish so I was surprised the blue one didn't follow suit...could have taken one of each and doubled up on postage whilst I was at it :D

Most strange indeed of Hattons...

Here's the email response I received from Hattons this morning about the blue 56:

"Dear Mr. Tyler,

Thank you for your email.

As yet, we have not received any advice from Dapol as to when this loco is likely to come into stock. However, I would imagine that, if other shops have now begun receiving their stock, it is likely to be with us very shortly. Please be assured that if you make a pre order for this model, you will be guaranteed the product once it is available.

I hope this helps to reassure you that our stocks of the ND203C will be coming in soon, but if you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Regards,

Alexandra Jennings

Retail Assistant"

So, if I am reading that correctly Dapol have not informed Hattons when Hattons will be receiving its stock of blue 56s. This seems odd to me.

Matt

I'd not read too much into it Matt, and I won't explain the situation further.

Needless to say its a strange tale with a happy ending.

I'd imagine knowing the full story that Hatton's will start shipping tomorrow.

Cheers

Dave

Funny - I actually hadn't read anything into it all until you described it as a "situation." Whatever happend is not my concern. I am just very glad it has a happy ending.

However, Dave, can you please clarify "Hatton's will start shipping tomorrow"? Does that mean you think "Dapol will ship to Hatton's tomorrow," or that you think "Hatton's will ship to its customers tomorrow." I haven't pre-ordered but am now concerned I should.

Many thanks,

Matt

Thanks Dave. Yes, you were very clear. However, it confused me, for if Hattons was going to start shipping tomorrow, then that implied that Hatton's either already had the locos in stock today ready to go tomorrow, or it knew today that it was getting the locos from Dapol tomorrow - and yet Hattons told me today that it did not know when it would be receiving the locos from Dapol!

As you said, it is a strange tale.

Thank you again,

Matt

Hi Pete,

I know we shipped a considerable quantity to Hatton's by courier on Thursday in time for them to get hemFriday and dispatch to customers.

It seems that either they didn't get them (by courier service unlikely) or they have received them and are oversold already, hence no stock, or havnt updated their website etc yet.

The other explanation is that we havnt sent them yet, but as Hatton's wanted so many I cannot fathom why we would keep the gathering dust at HQ?

Cheers

Perplexed of Liverpool (aka Dave) :-/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Dave

I have been checking the Hattons website on a daily basis - Part of me wants it be in stock...and the other part of me thinks it might not be a bad thing if they aren't yet (after all, I have a railfreight grey one ready to collect from my folks in the UK)

But I will keep checking from Monday...then make a decision... :blink:

Not sure if it has been asked before, but will the 56 make a future appearance in BR Blue Large logo livery?

TIA, Pete

Got my BR Blue version this morning - a bit naughty of me perhaps, but I gave up waiting for Hattons and bought elsewhere, as there seemed to be no clear message from them as to when they would have them in stock and when they would be despatching them - most unlike Hattons though.

All I can say is its a beauty - it really does have that elusive 'wow' factor and I dont think those waiting for theirs will be at all disappointed. The cab roof issue is really not that noticeable at all 'in the flesh' and doesnt detract from the overall high quality and overall 'right' look of the model, while the bodyside grille mesh is so fine that you cant see that its incorrect while the loco is moving. Will try and post a few pictures tomorrow.

All in all I am very impressed and very happy - thank you Dapol and roll on the class 27, the large logo 56, the 50 and whatever other goodies are in the pipeline!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yep Hattons say one blue one on its way !

Re Large logo , 56036 lowest and first in LL, 56047/48/49, second livery carried 56078 as Doncaster enterprise in EWS days went LL 59084 to 56134 were all deiivered in LL logo.

56036, 47,48,49 would be correct on exsisting body others would need no buffer cowl and extended horn cover box. To note of course 56115 - 56134 were Crewe built examples.

To get spot on with later grills will take photo -diving on the interweb thingy unless a 56 group expert reads this!

Looking forward to all versions

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Received my blue 56 from Hattons today. It's an absolutely wonderful model. As good as the Dapol Cl 26. Maybe even better. Very smooth runner, though very slightly growl-y (like the 26). Not loud by any means, but not Kato silent either. This seems to be improving, however, with more running in. The model is heavy, at 4.2 oz. (compared to the Poole Farish 56 's weight of 3.6 oz.).

Quibbles? There is zero documentation about the model in the box. The only paperwork that comes with it is a sheet about Dapol's warranty. Also, the foam insert the model is packed in is very snug, so considerable care is required to remove the model from it. But these are as I said, quibbles.

I thought I'd attach some comparison pictures of the old Poole Farish 56 with this new one from Dapol. My, how far things have come!

post-4367-0-61322800-1349418080_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-12729700-1349418101_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-08618700-1349418121_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-83892700-1349418140_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-15877300-1349418169_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-11405800-1349418194_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-73325300-1349418221_thumb.jpg

Matt

Edited by oreamnos
  • Like 2

Also, the foam insert the model is packed in is very snug, so considerable care is required to remove the model from it. But these are as I said, quibbles.

The best way (as with all Dapol packaging) is to remove the whole foam insert with the model from the box and then ease it out. That certainly puts less pressure on the model and minimises the risk of damage ocurring.

• RMweb Premium

I thought I'd attach some comparison pictures of the old Poole Farish 56 with this new one from Dapol. My, how far things have come!

That was very naughty of you, I will now need to sell on my 2 Farish versions.

Coming soon on ebay ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Send an email to sales@Dapol.co.uk and they'll email you a PDF of the instructin sheet (it wasn't included in my grey livery class 56).

I find a lot of Dapol's foam packaging to be rather tight. A few minutes with a sharp craft knife is normally enough to make life a bit easier.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

The best way (as with all Dapol packaging) is to remove the whole foam insert with the model from the box and then ease it out. That certainly puts less pressure on the model and minimises the risk of damage ocurring.

Yes. That is excactly what I did. And the packaging is still jolly snug. The jumper cables on the cab ends are really shoved deep into the foam. That and the little "prongs" that stick up on either side of the the coupling boxes which the sand boxes get stuck on. But none of this is anything that can't be fixed with a sharp knife.

Ironically, despite all effort to secure the model in the box, the finish on mine was noticiably chafed on the perspex side, with corresponding paint rub-off on the clear plastic card that is inserted into the box lid. On careful investigation, I realized that the clear plastic card insert was fractionally too wide and too long to fit properly into the box top and the compressive force of the lid sides made the insert bow downwards towards the model. It did this with sufficient force to dispace the foam, rub against the model side and chafe it. The model would have been better off without the plastic insert. Fortunately I think the damage can be masked with a spray of matte clearcoat. One of these days.

Matt

If anyone wants to do the buffer cowl on the Romanian version then it is relativity simple to use the ones from a Farish class 47...... pretty good fit with only around a margin of 0.5-1mm short.

post-3594-0-55038700-1349433433.jpg

Excellent tip. I'll have to have a go at that.

G.

• RMweb Premium

If anyone wants to do the buffer cowl on the Romanian version then it is relativity simple to use the ones from a Farish class 47...... pretty good fit with only around a margin of 0.5-1mm short.

post-3594-0-55038700-1349433433.jpg

M

Are you referring to the current 47 or the previous Poole original?