Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

• RMweb Gold

They aren't available on the NRM website yet or am I in the wrong direction? Standard issue for me, mine is to work not sit in a display case!

Correct, they have not had chance to update the website yet, but you can ring the order through on Customer Services telephone 01925 467 150 open 8am to 8pm.

• RMweb Gold

BTW if ordering the standard edition check the price on your order.

My email confirmation just came through showing it as ??166.75 not ??145 as in the press release.

NRM are investigating and I am waiting their call back.

• RMweb Gold

Just had a call from NRM.

The standard edition is ??166.75 NOT ??145.

The price for the standard edition quoted in the press release is excluding VAT.

The price for the platinum model is correct at ??195 inc VAT.

So if you want a standard version its ??166.75 plus p&p

• RMweb Gold

Shame there arnt a few more photos available, would really prefer to see how far apart the frames are before parting with cash. While I dont have an issue with the price, its too much to spend on something only to find out that new wheels wont fit..... This is even more the case now that the price is said to be ??166 instead of 145 (someone really does seem to have dropped the ball somewhat there, not only in publicising the wrong price but also ending up with such an odd number.

On the other hand I see that finney sell a kit for a city, which I suspect would be a lot better suited to running in p4 not to mention a lot more interesting modelling wise than taking the RTR loco sticking on some post 98 OHLE flashes and a new wheelset......

Hi All, just ordered mine, standard version direct from NRM, price quoted is without VAT and delivery, with all that included on a 28 day delivery price is ??171.70, thats still probably cheaper than it is to make one!

Best wishes for Xmas and New Year Steve

• RMweb Gold

I have just placed my order for the 'cooking' packaged version with delivery 'expected within 28 days' (I hope it will be otherwise 'as illustrated').

At present it is not up on the NRM sales website but they are taking orders over the'phone and are up around the 20 mark(but that's not bad off just a press release a couple of hours ago). The lass on the 'phone said they're being inundated with calls but I had no trouble getting through.

Sorry about the next bit - Garry was posting quicker than I could :blush: One thing Garry didn't mention is that the quoted price of ??145 does not include VAT (or post & packing)so you will be looking at a total of just over 170 quid for a UK inland postage address. So no doubt those who were already voicing disquiet about the price can now have a further grump. BUT if it is anywhere near as good as it looks in the picture in the link above then it's not bad and the way the ?? is going I doubt it will get cheaper. In comparison the Swindon 'Steam' special edition 'Castle' is 130 quid excl p&p but in that case it is necessary to pay an advance deposit of ??30 - the 'City' will be charged when despatched.

Oh, and strange to relate I still haven't had a full reply to my email I sent to the NRM on Tuesday asking if they were doing the loco and could I place an order? :lol:

• RMweb Gold

One thing Garry didn't mention is that the quoted price of ??145 does not include VAT (or post & packing)

Yes I did, look further back lol biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Just had a call from NRM.

The standard edition is ??166.75 NOT ??145.

The price for the standard edition quoted in the press release is excluding VAT.

The price for the platinum model is correct at ??195 inc VAT.

So if you want a standard version its ??166.75 plus p&p

When the NRM/Bachmann did the Deltic they set the price at a level at which they thought it would sell out, it did very quickly and immediately went on ebay at a large premium. A fair number of people were prepared to pay this premium. The NRM could have made more cash from the experiment. Having seen what happened it is surely sensible for the NRM to up the price on the next special loco. Ultimately in a free economy it's the punter who sets the price not the seller. Not for me this time.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Lets not forget that the money is going to the NRM, its going towards the upkeep of the very things we hold a great interest in.

So look at it as buying a great model, with a bit of a donation on top for the museum icon_thumbsup2.gif (trying very hard to keep things positive)

• RMweb Gold

When the NRM/Bachmann did the Deltic they set the price at a level at which they thought it would sell out, it did very quickly and immediately went on ebay at a large premium. A fair number of people were prepared to pay this premium. The NRM could have made more cash from the experiment. Having seen what happened it is surely sensible for the NRM to up the price on the next special loco. Ultimately in a free economy it's the punter who sets the price not the seller. Not for me this time.

Bernard

At the end of the day if the price is too high it will just mean it takes longer to sell out...

Considering the deltics origonal release (which iirc was around the ??100 mark) thats about ??40 over the price of a normal diesel loco from Bachmann. This also had the advantage of reusing chassis components from the 37 and standard deltic. Considering that the new A2 is around ??120, and CoT doesnt reuse any other components, I dont think that 160 odd is that bad relatively speaking in being only ??46 more than new steam locos in the 09/10 range, despite the fact that it requires a completely new tooling for everything.

Will certainly be interesting to see if Bachmann do end up following it up with a normal range city (they'd be mad not to...) but I suspect that it would certainly be a couple of years before it happens so that the NRM can get a decent return on their investment.

It certainly wouldnt surprise me to see a 2nd batch come out late next year in current condition (with OHLE flashes etc and a slightly darker chassis) which would be suitably different to this release not to **** off the collector types. That black/green version would be another candidate.

Personally I would be quite happy to see it sell a bit slower than the deltic as I have decided I will not order until I know if wheels will fit, but I suspect that it will be sold out by Christmas!

Bernard

also with the Deltic it only needed a New tooling for the body so less cost to cover

But City of Truro is an all new tooling for the chassie, boby & tender so the cost will be higher

also with the Deltic it only needed a New tooling for the body so less cost to cover

But City of Truro is an all new tooling for the chassie, boby & tender so the cost will be higher

Which could suggest further use for the mouldings? The chassis, I believe is identical to the Dukedog and the tender could be utilised along side it.

I rang about 30 minutes ago to place an order for the standard version and spoke to a helpful chap who said that they had a systems problem and could only process orders for the Platinum Edition but not the standard and that they'd ring back.

They just have and I've been asked to call back tomorrow afternoon to place the order as they've still a system glitch, something to do with the pricing. ? Very likely related to the problem Garry had with the confirmation email.

Arthur

• RMweb Gold

Just tried to place my order but have been advised to call back tomorrow because they are having problems with the price on their computer system. Apparently the standard model will be ??145 +p&p but if it is ordered before they have the computer sorted it will charge at the higher rate.

Might be worth a call once it is all sorted if you have already placed an order to make sure you get charged the lower price.

Just tried to place my order but have been advised to call back tomorrow because they are having problems with the price on their computer system. Apparently the standard model will be ??145 +p&p but if it is ordered before they have the computer sorted it will charge at the higher rate.

Might be worth a call once it is all sorted if you have already placed an order to make sure you get charged the lower price.

SNAP!! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Just rang NRM and they confirmed its ??145 for the standard issue.

I was informed anyone who has ordered at the ??166.75 price will have the amount adjusted automatically before they charge the card down to ??145.

Have just placed my order by phone for the Platinum - limited edition version and have received an immediate confirmation of my order by E-mail. Was advised that they are due into stock within the next few days but to allow up to 28 days for delivery.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that - I'll give 'em a ring tomorrow unless they send me an email update. I was quoted ??145 plus VAT on the 'phone when I placed my ordery and my email agrees with that so hopefully they will be able to sort it without a nudge.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that - I'll give 'em a ring tomorrow unless they send me an email update. I was quoted ??145 plus VAT on the 'phone when I placed my ordery and my email agrees with that so hopefully they will be able to sort it without a nudge.

Mike,

See my previous post, they will sort it out for us without our intervention so we will only be charged ??145 for the standard version. icon_thumbsup2.gif

I have just spoken to the very helpful William at the NRM shop and he advised me to ring tomorrow for the ??145 price. More importantly, models will be available for delivery from the 16th of this month, which is stunning. Well done to Bachmann for getting things done so discreetly, and saving the annoyance of waiting for two years after starting to get excited about a model!

I am just hoping that his will also lead to a family of outside-framed GWR 4-4-0s; two boilers, three types of frames, two wheelbases, one bogie and two tenders will cover most of the Flowers, Cities, Atbaras, Dukes, Bulldogs and Dukedogs...

As for the price; it is a lot, but I still think that it is worth it, and, of course, the NRM - including the loco itself - will benefit.

• RMweb Gold

Despite my earlier post..... I've just tried to place an order. Not possible at the moment (computer glitch with Maestro cards), but so far (15:40pm) they've had orders for 20 of the 250 they have to sell. So I'm expecting a call back today, not waiting until tomorrow in case they've all gone.

Stu

PS - Not told SWMBO yet and no doubt she'll have to sign for it...