Matthew varnish in a can

Having tried many different types of varnish I am struggling to get a decent result. Firstly I tried a few that go through an airbrush &got a milkly finish on the model so I tried out some rattle cans.

I tried humbrols matt varnish in a can & it frosted instantly on the model which didn't go down to well especially after I had just spent ages weathering it although I managed to pull it back with a coat of satin varnish.

Humbrols satin varnish is brilliant in one aspect that it seals the weathering & gives me the perfect smooth finish on the bodywork the only down side being it is a satin finish which still has a little gloss in it which is not what a require.

Can anyone suggest another option besides testors dullcote spray which is like trying to acquire hens teeth which will give me a truly matt finish ??

Cheers

Simon

Model Master dull cote in a jar is my preferred weapon of choice when it comes to clear coating!

Apply with airbrush and dilute it with turps or thinner depending on the paint underneath....

:-)

Simon

Have you tried MicroMatt (from the same range as MicroSol and MicroSet for applying transfers)? It does leave a slight sheen, despite its name, but that may be because I am not shaking it up enough. Most importantly, it does not seem to attack any of the previous layers of paint or transfer film.

Best wishes

Eric

Guest 40-something

I've been using Humbrol Matt rattle cans for ages and not had a problem with it. I make sure I give it a good shake for a few mins before using to thoroughly mix the contents

I want to use testors dullcote but it's impossible to find a shop selling it in the uk unless anyone knows of somewhere. ???

My usual supplier is out of stock but there is always ebay. Seems to be postage from the US in most cases which is a bit prohibitive but may be OK. I agree that Testors is about the best.

I gave mine a really good shake but it did frost terribly. I want to use testors dullcote but it's impossible to find a shop selling it in the uk unless anyone knows of somewhere. ???

Roxey Mouldings and EDM Models/NGtrains are the two sources of Testors Dullcote that I'm aware of. Both are mail order/exhibitions only though.

Andy

i've used both railmatch and precision paints matt varnish out of spray cans with decent results, though i've tended to prefer the railmatch, recently i've tried games workshop purity seal,(which was recommended via this forum) which i think is not technically a full matt, but i was very impressed with the finish it gave and have used it again since.

chris

Archived