Waverley Route Signal Boxes

millerhillboy

Looking to build a signal for my N gauge layout and thought it would be nice to do a representation of a Waverley Route box considering all the stock is that way inclined.

I'm not looking reproduce it 100% but rather I want a box which 'captures' the Waverley Route feel, so from that point of view perhaps one of the most famous boxes on the route would have to be Shankend.

I've managed to google a couple of pictures of the box, mostly in its currently holiday home guise but still useful.

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any useful looking pictures, in particular no one seems to have taken a shot from the steps end of the box for some reason!!

Thanks in advance

MHB

Righty-ho, 64B-oy. We're not well served by pictures of Shankend box, which runs counter to what you'd expect, given its landmark status visible from the B6399. However, the kinda 'modular' NB designs that characterise the route (excluding the rather unusual Brunthill and Fountainhall boxes, BR Standards both, and Galashiels) are well represented in the usual books on the line. There are web pics but they are not immediately obvious, even to me, which is why the only reference I've been able to give here is to Bruce M's Hawick shot.

On www.cairndhu.net you've got Bruce McCartney's classic shot of the tall Hawick South box, also reproduced on p36 of Rowbotham's 'On The Waverley Route,' which book also contains Riddings (Sth) from the steps end (p74). The same author's 'The Postwar Years' has Whitrope box, steps end (p42), the rather different Gala box (p34), Heriot (p30), Hardengreen (a very tall box, p27), and last for now in the definitive Siviter Waverley Route volume, Riddings (Nth) (plate 37), Steele Road (50, steps end but obscured by tree), Riccarton Jct (Nth) (70), Whitrope (89, very clear shot of stairs and WC), and last of all Falahill (154).

EDIT: I forgot about 'The District Controller's View,' which shows Niddrie Sth Jct (p51), and Heriot again (p15) -a little squarish cabin, but a nice clear shot of its stairs. I must say, with its focus on signalling/ control I expected more pics in here of 'boxes.

• Like 1

Righty-ho, 64B-oy. We're not well served by pictures of Shankend box, which runs counter to what you'd expect, given its landmark status visible from the B6399. However, the kinda 'modular' NB designs that characterise the route (excluding the rather unusual Brunthill and Fountainhall boxes, BR Standards both, and Galashiels) are well represented in the usual books on the line. There are web pics but they are not immediately obvious, even to me, which is why the only reference I've been able to give here is to Bruce M's Hawick shot.

On www.cairndhu.net you've got Bruce McCartney's classic shot of the tall Hawick South box, also reproduced on p36 of Rowbotham's 'On The Waverley Route,' which book also contains Riddings (Sth) from the steps end (p74). The same author's 'The Postwar Years' has Whitrope box, steps end (p42), the rather different Gala box (p34), Heriot (p30), Hardengreen (a very tall box, p27), and last for now in the definitive Siviter Waverley Route volume, Riddings (Nth) (plate 37), Steele Road (50, steps end but obscured by tree), Riccarton Jct (Nth) (70), Whitrope (89, very clear shot of stairs and WC), and last of all Falahill (154).

Tip-top response....can't ask for more than that!!

I've got these particular publications so I'll be sure to check them when I get home (currently working away from home).

Thanks for your input.....will be sure to post progress, if or maybe when I get started!! once the xmas drink and food wears off!! :lol:

If you're looking for a track diagram then go to this page on The Signal Box site and do a search for Shankend.

Not Shankend, I know, but these photos may be of interest.

As mentioned by Chard, Fountainhall was a later replacement {somewhat similar to the Bachmann 'Hampton Hill' box.}

post-7313-12612556223676_thumb.jpg

Fountainhall Signal Box

Heriot was quite an attractive box

post-7313-12612556350843_thumb.jpg

Heriot Signal Box

Jeremy Christie

• Like 2

OMG HOW evocative are they - the muted colours of the Heriot pic add to the poignancy. That 'STOP' sign is very much of the era, and the rails still embedded in the tarmac epitomise the whole futility of it all for me, always have since I saw them as a lad at numerous locations.

Did the photographer capture anything else of the line immediately post-lifting, because - torture as they are - they're a little-recorded essential part of the history of the line.

EDIT: just looked at the pics again - how bleak it appears beyond Fountainhall towards Gala. But how 'connected' must it have felt to have stood at the same spot with four shining ribbons of steel taking the eye as far as the horizon in both directions. Senseless criminal waste of a railway....

SECOND EDIT: I can't thank you enough for that link to the track plans on the Signal Box site: one click on the thanks button doesn't do it justice. I had no idea they were there, now I have the perfect blueprint for my stations, and I'm indebted. Awesome.

http://www.signalbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1293

You are getting the benefit of my full distraction now. This thread includes an incredible south-facing shot of Shankend from the footbridge. And the 'box, steps end, in the distance. And it's good to know that not everyone waited til a train came into view before pressing the shutter.

EDIT: I posted too soon - CHECK OUT THE CLOSE-UP OF THE STEPS-END!

EDIT2: This link http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=24013 is incredible, but within the thread on The Signal Box site are links to pictures on the RailBrit site, including Kershopefoot which is a platform box.

Cheers to everyone.... great pictures and just what was needed.

Jermey..... lovely pictures, but at the same time sad but so interesting to see the colour view

'Chard...... well dug out, that's a great picture of Shankend on the signalbox website and that seals the deal. Shankend it'll be..

It'll be a test of my scalescene's ability but I look forward to getting started.

Thanks again for the great replies.

Mate, I can't wait to see it.

This morning's research, all thanks to other posters' links really, has unearthed some incredible stuff. Galashiels' track plan prior to its simplification has got me scratching my head; now lots of the NBR features are clearer I need to adjust my plans - good timing as it's my sidings that are still 'floating.'

However, far more outrageous is the revelation that in 1966 BR drew up a scheme to strip out the LNER colour signals and replace with standard pattern semaphores. Gala was almost plain line by then, as I now know, so this is a very likely what-if that I will be exploring further: hybrid simplified track layout and BR standard semaphores. The branch is going to be worked on a one engine in steam/ fumes principle.

I think that having found and absorbed all this, I'm now down to a single 'box at Teviotbank (Gala 'new' box replaced five in 1937, I have several possible sites for empty spaces vacated by boxes), and for this I'm going to attempt Galashiels box as it's a bit 'signature Waverley' to me in an economic if not aesthetic sense. For Midlem Road I'm thinking a generic platfom-based box such as that at Kershopefoot. I had not intended a level crossing on the layout but after seeing the Heriot pictures it is so tempting.

Sorry about the thread hijack 64B-oy, but this has turned into a Waverley Route signalling resource centre, for which I am very grateful. Cheers!

Nice photos :icon_drool:

Interesting signalling at Shankend :O

When you look at the thread attached to the Shankend track diagram there are loads of comments regarding runaways on the legendary ruling Waverley gradients, also the use of redundant sidings as trap/ catch points. It appears (pet subject of mine) that during rationalisation plenty of hybrid/ non-standard infrastructure resulted, signals included.

Shankend refuge siding (50 SLU) was infamously used to store, awaiting recovery, an EE Type 4 (<4 SLU) that had struck some runaways in winter 1965, including Presflos. I wonder if anyone on here knows of any more info than the tiny amount I have been able to find out about that accident. It happened north of the viaduct, in cutting. I have searched in vain for the accident report. Perhaps I should have started a new thread for this diversion...

Sorry about the thread hijack 64B-oy, but this has turned into a Waverley Route signalling resource centre, for which I am very grateful. Cheers!

Hey no problem, I've got what I need and its never anything other than a treat to see what else comes up Waverely Route related.

Not much but there's a small picture of the crash here

Shankend Crash

You need to scroll though the pictures. No further info though.

There's another few pictures on the scran website, but I guess you need full access to get the full size ones.

Scran1

Scran2

I'm assuming you've seen the picture of the pranged D364 at Shankend on the wonderful railscot website?

D364 - one of 64B's finest. The prang shot was all I knew until a month or two ago, then I found the Presflo shot (but forgot where - Cheers! - great that Bachmann are bringing these out too). The Scran ones I have never previously seen, so excellent spot there! I can't help wondering if the incident ties in with the shots in the Siviter book, of track relaying north of Shankend. The location looks suspiciously similar, but I've forgotten dates of the photos.

Here's a thought to tie us back into the OP - I wonder (knowing smile) where Shankend box train register of the day ended up...?

Hi,

I've some more photographs of the Waverley route taken after closure on my fotopic site. May 2011: SORRY with the collapse of fotopic these photos are not available at the moment

There are also a number of galleries of the line on the DWB Steam gallery, including some taken after closure.

I've a particular interest in the line as I'm a member of the Edinburgh & Lothians MRC which is building a layout based on Newcastleton.

Jeremy

• Like 1

Hi,

I've some more photographs of the Waverley route taken after closure on my fotopic site.

There are also a number of galleries of the line on the DWB Steam gallery, including some taken after closure.

I've a particular interest in the line as I'm a member of the Edinburgh & Lothians MRC which is building a layout based on Newcastleton.

Jeremy

I am simply lost for words...

Jeremy, your pictures have just answered so many questions for me. I had never seen Galashiels station building before, and that's what Teviotbank (my principal station) building is being based on. Also the approach to Bowshank tunnel, pretty much as I remember it the very first time I ever caught a glimpse of the lamented line. Thank you so much.

Oh dear, no I hadn't - but I had seen this less than a decade later, and between them they pretty well define the fuel-point decay I'm after. The Clayton at Gala is truly awesome, well truffled Dave!

http://jerrysgallery.fotopic.net/p62586597.html

EDIT: You don't often see pics of THIS special with a Deltic on the front:

http://dwb.railsteamgallery.fotopic.net/p54752198.html

You asked for Shankend, here it is December 1968)

And should you be modelling the station buildings, the TV aerial was a combined band1/band 3 - I worked for the firm that installed it in 1963.

But why not go for a real unusual box, like Scotch Dyke? (also December 1968)

Bruce

• Like 1

Scotch Dyke was long-closed to passengers by then, and judging by the dates of much of your photographic records you were out pretty solidly during late '68 capturing these wonderful evocative images for posterity. Was this a marathon road-trip on the trusty two-stroke? It would have been a good half-hour walk from Longtown...

• 1 year later...

D364 - one of 64B's finest. The prang shot was all I knew until a month or two ago, then I found the Presflo shot (but forgot where - Cheers! - great that Bachmann are bringing these out too). The Scran ones I have never previously seen, so excellent spot there! I can't help wondering if the incident ties in with the shots in the Siviter book, of track relaying north of Shankend. The location looks suspiciously similar, but I've forgotten dates of the photos.

This makes me wonder whether the following anecdote from Bill Blake, one of the old P-way chaps in an interview he gave for us in Issue 6 of The Waverley had anything to do with it, as I don't recall he told us the year in which this happened:

"Sometimes I would be given the job of walking the track in our gang's section from Stobs Camp to Whitrope Tunnel and back checking for cracked fishplates, knocking in loose keys and looking for anything out of the ordinary. One day I had just passed Shankend when I noticed a long dip stretching the length of three of the sixty foot rail panels. I couldn't work out what had caused this so I went back to find my Uncle Rob the signalman at Shankend box who agreed to come up and take a look. When he saw the dip in the line he realised the embankment was sinking and went back to call the Inspector at Hawick who came up immediately on a pilot engine.

When he arrived he declared it an emergency and sent for the Newcastleton and Hawick permanent way "flying squads", about 80 men in total. Just by coincidence, there had been relaying taking place nearby and there were some spare rails left over. Eight of these rails were taken and chained together on the ends of the sleepers to strengthen the track temporarily.

After a few weeks, the order came through to sort out the embankment on a Sunday. Cranes were brought in from both Carlisle and Edinburgh and the track was taken up from both sides and the gangs started digging. They dug and dug, deeper and deeper to a depth of about ninety feet and never did find the cause of the problem so the boss gave orders to fill it back in again with some extra rubble brought down from Edinburgh which must have done some good because it didn't ever sink again."

For any WRHA members, all the back issues of The Waverley are now available online - but you have to be a member in order to access them, so what more of an incentive do you need if not already a member? http://www.wrha.org.uk/membership.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

Track layout looks like Newcastleton Bruce, but I'm sure you're going to spring a surprise on us!

Dave.

Track layout looks like Newcastleton Bruce, but I'm sure you're going to spring a surprise on us!

Dave.

I would say definitely not Newcastleton, don't know where though.

Jeremy