Waverley Route Signal Boxes

millerhillboy

So, my long trawl through the latest published study of the WR has commenced, this being that of the Disused Stations team led by Nick Catford. I will probably set up a thread just to focus on their content, as it is very detailed and contains many hitherto unpublished photos and caption details.

However, before I do, here's something which is definitely awry. This is categorically NOT Shankend SB in 1970 or any other year, for that matter: http://www.disused-s...d/index14.shtml

Edited by 'CHARD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

However, before I do, here's something which is definitely awry. This is categorically NOT Shankend SB in 1970 or any other year, for that matter: http://www.disused-s...d/index14.shtml

How about Haddington in freight only days?

I was there in 1967 on a BLS special and this building is hauntingly familiar. It's possibly from the (Longniddry end) throat of the station looking towards the station buildings/siding in use. Perhaps someone with better knowledge might confirm if that's one of the local hills in the distance ~ I don't think it's Traprain Law.

Bruce

I right clicked on Open in new tab, then used the Customize toggle in Google Chrome to enlarge, although it soon pixellated. It's possible to save in Pic Viewer and then customize though, based on my experience of manipulation of Scran resources previously.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First viewing of the signal box nameboard from Fountainhall following the complete stripping, rub down & repaint.

fountainhall_new.jpg

As previously discussed elsewhere, this had been repainted from black on white after closure, to white on blue, otherwise the repaint would not have even been discussed as I'm all for conservation in original form where possible.

It will be on display at Whitrope Heritage Centre from Sat 22nd September onwards.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
Guest tony graham

That garage will have to go though!

The garage is not a problem, its the minor fact that the M6 is just a few hundred yards to the south poses a little problem. Mind you it could be the first motorway to have a crossing..... :sungum:

The garage is not a problem, its the minor fact that the M6 is just a few hundred yards to the south poses a little problem. Mind you it could be the first motorway to have a crossing..... :sungum:

Strangely enough when the question of the M6/A74 bridge over the route was raised by the DoT in 1969 we (the BURC) suggested that if we were to pay for it we would charge for crossing it. Seemed perfectly logical to me but was met with incredulity. Some people ( civil servants) have no vision. It would have simply become the country's first toll motorway.

roygraham

• Like 3