Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

Mk3 TGS Coach, note the blank wall nearest the camera with the ability for the extra width door to open. These coaches are only present in Intercity 125 High Speed Trains.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5472832653/

For Mk3 coaching stock running in non-HST trains, a Mk3 'DVT' (Driving Van Trailer) is used.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/5144863097/

Class 43 with nose buffer conversion. Created as a stop gap solution during the testing and implementation of the electric Class 91 and Mk4 coaching stock.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5455223343/

Mk4 'DVT' (Driving Van Trailer) generated as a permanent solution to the above Class 43 locomotive conversions. These coaches save the need for a full locomotive at both ends.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47309173@N06/4544230554/

Basically the TGS is I design but as we didn't put slides into the tooling it, like the buffet is a whole new body shell.

I envision (knowing what the production schedule should be) that we will see them around Feb 2013

Oh and for those who havnt twigged yet on here and other forums we are doing a blue/grey HST set again as an eastern region 254, and extra mk3 coaches in ALL liveries.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Have I understood right, though, that there will not be a TRFB, but an RFM will be done in fGW/EMT livery as a compromise?

I believe so (from what I saw on the display at Ally Pally).

But first of all we have got to wait for the ones Dapol Dave sent back to the far east to return.

Hopefully with the missing toilet window bar added.

Dave,

I dont suppose youve ever considered scaling these up to 4mm for us at some point have you?

The current models are a dire mish mash of aging Lima and Hornby tooling and there is a plenty of scope for some brand new fully detailed ones.

Cheers

Edited by ThaneofFife

Basically the TGS is I design but as we didn't put slides into the tooling it, like the buffet is a whole new body shell.

I envision (knowing what the production schedule should be) that we will see them around Feb 2013

Oh and for those who havnt twigged yet on here and other forums we are doing a blue/grey HST set again as an eastern region 254, and extra mk3 coaches in ALL liveries.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Dave, I know the sleeper isnt part of the current plans but can you say whether it is something you would consider in the longer term? With the quality of your Mk3's I cant see the other N gauge lot being in too much of a hurry to update their tooling but I do understand that it may have a rather limited appeal compared to the widescale use of your other MK3's.

I will totally understand if you dont feel you can answer this question.

Dave, I know the sleeper isnt part of the current plans but can you say whether it is something you would consider in the longer term? With the quality of your Mk3's I cant see the other N gauge lot being in too much of a hurry to update their tooling but I do understand that it may have a rather limited appeal compared to the widescale use of your other MK3's.

I will totally understand if you dont feel you can answer this question.

Oh and a BFO as well please :) The sleepers however would be a better bet, still in service (and goes with the 67 too...) with a reasonable selection of liveries.

Though it would be nice to have MK3s without the central locking indicators as well please.

If Dapol produced the Mk3 sleeper I would have to buy a bulk supply of Trisonic's Anti froth wipes! (Pete.. You will make more dosh from those wipes than you ever made in music! lol :sungum: )

I'd buy sleepers because I can't see the "other lot" retooling theirs and I refuse to buy their current offering because IMHO its not an acceptable model.. ( :O can of worms now fully opened!)

Are the SLE and SLEP the same body shell? :scratchhead:

I would also buy the BFO if it was offered but I can't see it because there were only 3? built. I would buy 4 of each sleeper in Blue/grey, Executive and Swallow livery though.

Food for thought Dave?

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I'd buy sleepers because I can't see the "other lot" retooling theirs and I refuse to buy their current offering because IMHO its not an acceptable model.. ( :O can of worms now fully opened!)

Are the SLE and SLEP the same body shell? :scratchhead:

What do you not like about the Farish tooling? I think it works well for coaches like the Mk3.

Yes, SLE and SLEP are the same body shell - the only difference is the interiors (the SLEP has one less room as it is used for the attendant's "pantry").

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

I think it is the printed sides that scratch easily and they look like a plastic tube to me.. it is a personal thing I think. I just don't like them...

I currently run Farish Mk1 and Dapol Mk3 and will add to the coach fleet as models get updated.. Hopefully Mk2 D/E/F coaches aren't far away.

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Gold

hi Slightly OT but sleepers and BFO and RLO are available as Hurst etches to go on the farish tube shells - and make up really well with a pre painted side glued on. Sure Fox/Railtec/ Precision/Blackham will sort transfers.

I have asked Railtec about doing a set of complete XC MK3 trailer numbers to suit the Dapol coaches.

Quick tip for light bars - I used "tackywax" to hold strip in roof guides - 5 coaches lamped in 15 minutes no faffing about!

Robert

• Like 1

Hi,

I have just bought a First Great Western HST book set, but cannot find any extra coaches. I read all through this topic, but I havent seen anything that says anything about extra FGW coaches. Are there any in the pipeline?

Cheers

Matthew

Edited by Mattmeister

• RMweb Premium

I have just bought a First Great Western HST book set, but cannot find any extra coaches. I read all through this topic, but I havent seen anything that says anything about extra FGW coaches. Are there any in the pipeline?

we are doing a blue/grey HST set again as an eastern region 254, and extra mk3 coaches in ALL liveries.

I've added the bold to Dave's comment to make this clearer.

Edited by Kris

• RMweb Gold

Hi the current catalogue lists the following :

4P-005-000 MK 3 first FGW 411103 "G"

4P-005-001 Mk 3 Second FGW 42083 "E"

NC216H FGW Mk3 Buffet #4021

the cat does have typo as the 4 refers to 4mm but this is an 2mm - well N gauge model Second should be standard and buffet model number is off old numbering system , the painted number #4021 is an error but i guess last three digits are 021, poss vehicle 40221 which is a 4 saloon window TRSB even though coach modelled is a TRFM (B)- discussion passim)

These all for production by 2013 just leaving TGS for later- but hopefully not that much - Dave ??

Buffets reportedly not too far way so saving up for mine

hope this helps

Robert

Hi Mattmeister,

although you were asking about 'in the pipeline...' I can tell you that NC-213A and NC-213B are both Mk3 2nd class FGW Dynamic Lines coaches (42038 / 42296 respectively) and were released earlier this year. Not sure if there are still stocks around but if you look you may be lucky.

Hope that's of use...

Cheers,

Ixion.

Hi Mattmeister / Robert Shrives,

regarding the Mk3 buffet, the Dapol price list quotes it as being:

NC216H MK3 FIRST GREAT WESTERN MK3 BUFFET #40210'

It also shows the other two coaches as:

2P-005-000 MK3 FIRST GREAT WESTERN 1ST CLASS 41103 'G'

2P-005-001 MK3 First Great Western 2nd Class 42083 'E'

The pricelist is useful to cover some of the typos in the catalogue.

Cheers,

Ixion

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi gang,

Rails of Sheffield and Hattons now showing XC First class coach in stock . Images shown - This correctly the TCC with two windows overprinted in window side colour black and yellow first class stripe over 5 windows only. This being the best way to quicly provide at normal viewing distance the catering car ( trolley stores) on the XC set.

TCC - Trailer catering composite - my translation anyway!

yes ordered one as well!

FWIW Railtec have done a set of coach numbers to allow renumbering TS and to give rail alaphbet continuity on set includes TGS , TCC and TF numbers to do - and very good they look in front of me as I type!

Robert