Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

This is an automatic notification to inform you that we have processed your order for the following items:

1 * Dapol Model Railways NC226B Mk3 1st class coach 'Cross Country Trains' @ £17.00 each = £17.00

1 * Dapol Model Railways NC227B Mk3 2nd class coach 'Cross Country Trains' @ £17.00 each = £17.00

Robert

Intercity 125 Executive

It seems 'InterCity 125 Executive' coaches are now available, with NC226C & NC227C both being standard class. Note that Rails currently list NC226C as First class, which appears to be incorrect.

When can we expect to see a First Class in this livery?

Intercity 125 Executive

It seems 'InterCity 125 Executive' coaches are now available, with NC226C & NC227C both being standard class. Note that Rails currently list NC226C as First class, which appears to be incorrect.

Why do these not match the ones in the Executive HST Bookset? Those featured italicized 'InterCity' branding.

R E

Why do these not match the ones in the Executive HST Bookset? Those featured italicized 'InterCity' branding.

R E

Probably because those of us who purchased the IC-E book set got rather irritated that we got lumbered with the later livery for the coaches.

Got my 'First Class' CrossCountry coach (ND-226B) in the post from Hattons today... in reality it is, as Robert says above, the TCC (Trailer Catering Composite)...

A few observations regarding the XC HST and it's matching coaches - given that each XC HST has 5 vehicle types in each rake - TGS, TSD (Trailer Standard Disabled - some with blanked off windows), multiple TSO (Trailer Standard Open) - 3 or 4 depending on whether you want a 2+7 or 2+8 HST rake, TCC and TFD (Trailer First Disabled), I think Dapol has done rather well in producing each type of vehicle (bar the TGS of course... yet!) - the TSD and TFD come in the box set with the power cars, the TSO is available as a single coach to buy however many you want/need, and the latest "first class" vehicle is the TCC - leaving only the TGS to deliver.

Usual formation for 2+8 is TGS-TSD-TSO-TSO-TSO-(TSO*)-TCC-TFD *omit for a 2+7 rake

There are painted over windows on the TSD, TFD and TCC are in the correct place for disabled toilets/catering areas depending on the vehicle in question (panelled over and removed on the real thing), and at one end the small windows are (correct in part) clear, as XC fitted seats in the area at one end of the coach where a luggage rack/toilet once was prior to the XC refurb on most vehicles (except the TGS and 2 of the TFD vehicles across the fleet). Alas only one side at each end is clear on the real thing, and there is no bar half way across on this clear window, but this is forgiveable on the model if we accept the fact that Dapol have given us 4 vehicle types, and that without some minor compromises, we would probably never had had the coaches as it would need 4 different moulds... and the clear windows on the one side can be fixed with a spot of paint...

It's not a perfectly modelled rake of XC coaches due to the above compromises, and I'm sure the purists will make reference to roof mouldings given that no XC HST rake is entirely free of ex-loco hauled conversions as all the TCCs are ex loco-hauled mark 3s, but visually it's a pretty good effort with all vehicle types either represented or in the pipeline (ie TGS), top marks for the efforts in producing the window differences and correctly numbering the different vehicles for the type they represent. My [for now] 2+7 rake looks the part - just missing that pesky TGS now for the full 8-coach setup.

For the record, the vehicle numbers as provided on the coaches are part of set XC02, which bar the TGS, are all ex loco hauled conversions. My vehicles are to be renumbered in main to vehicles from the XC04 rake, which are all 'true' HST vehicles except for the TCC. The exception is that my TSD will be renumbered to the vehicle from XC03 as the window layout on the Dapol TSD is wrong for XC04 and XC05 - the pitfalls of trying to take a snapshot of a small fleet that was cobbled together from lots of different sources and vehicle types to begin with... Even after refurbishment, there are a number of differences across the fleet - different toilet types, seating layouts, CDL panel locations and so on, depending which rake you are looking at and the history of the vehicle in question.

Edited by craig_macready

What are the differences in the seating layout in the XC sets? Have to say I thought they were all the same as all the carriages have been stripped out and fitted with new interiors.

As you say, there are other differences based on the coaches' origins: loco-hauled conversions have CDL panels on the opposite side to HST-built stock, and the aircon external roof vents are different too (three small ones as opposed to one larger square one in the middle).

In your view, how much better is this than the Farish set? I've got the Farish one and am debating whether to get the Dapol one too. Other option is the EMT one, but I'm slightly reluctant there as the coaches in the set don't match the extra ones available (branding is missing from the set ones). Yes, I know it's a fairly simply thing to fix, but with models costing this much it shouldn't be necessary!

And a question for Dave - when can we expect the Grand Central and WSMR buffets to appear? When they arrive (plus extra TFO for WSMR) that will be those sets completed!

Farish has more or less accurate window layouts, and a nice paint job - but it suffers the same roofing issues. If you were choosing between the two, I'd buy the Dapol model. It has a better chassis in the power car and the Mark 3 coach is superior. One key difference between the two is that the Farish livery is more 'true' - Dapol have used silver instead of grey, however IMO the silver looks good on the sets. If you look at the Hornby XC coaches in OO, whilst a 'true' livery job, IMO the grey comes across as very dull. I've also just fitted the buckeye couplings across the rake, and the corridor connections are virtually touching but still go around tight curves.

The difference in seating layout across the fleet relates to the TSD - on the ex-MML HST coaches (sets XC04/05) the MML-fitted disabled toilet has remained and has a different external window layout (none of the large windows are removed) to that modelled by Dapol. On the loco hauled TSD conversions (XC01/02/03), a different design of toilet is fitted that takes up more space, protrudes into the former saloon and as such has a large window panelled over, and the toilet at the opposite end of the coach has been stripped out, replaced with a luggage rack and seating/new small window fitted where the old luggage rack once was (as modelled by Dapol).

For those wondering how you tell which set is which when out and about - a general rule of thumb is to look at the TCC vehicles - the last two digits of the TCC vehicle number should give you the set number - 45001-45005 generally gives you XC01-XC05. I can recall two or three occasions in the last four years where TCCs have been swapped between sets, there are probably one or two more, but it happens very infrequently. XC01/XC02 are all ex loco hauled except TGS, XC04/XC05 are all true HST vehicles except for the TCC, and XC03 is a mix and match job, with (I think) a 50-50 split. XC03 has the ability to confuse traincrew as the location of the CDL and SDO panels changes halfway through the set!

Edited by craig_macready

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi At Dapol open day on saturday suggestion was weeks away with two containers , one in UK at docks and other on seas so hopefully some will arrive intime for Warley - but which was not a given... Openday for members had some good offers on remainng stocks but mK3 coaches good selection of eXec livry and newly arrived XC stock but very few Grand Central and not that many EMT. Boxed HST sets had just a fist full of XC sets and GC sets but reasonable numbers of others - well 10 or 12 boxed so dont hang about.

Robert

• RMweb Gold

Hi gang,

latest VT HST pack here - well at postie but he did try to deliver today ! Dapol Dave has reported on Dapol club N group that MK3s are around corner with WSMR on display at openday last week and noted that the pretendolino artwork proved for production - which means unless a rocket under chinese production rates and some airfreighted that they will miss Warley, but perhaps some will have arrived. Given HST has broken cover ! who knows !!

Robert

• RMweb Gold

Hi nothing spoken about FGW at open day and I do not recall any on shelves- but the happy scrum buying did prevent super close checking.

ND122J VT set now in paws, quick internet trawl shows both PC 43094 and 43104 correct for 2001 VT era. - less namelate on 43104! coaches are TS42322 and TF 41168. these are again great rendition of livery with a lovely matt dark grey roof - might be VT dark grey but better than gloss black seen on 00 offerings!

As expected run very well . I will have to look at the options on the various extra yellow some power cars got just to vary the stock!

Get them while you can !

Robert Shrives

Intercity 125 Executive

Hi all

Sorry to repeat a previously asked (but as yet not answered) question - are there plans for Dapol to produce any Mk 3 first class HST trailers in IC swallow or executive liveries?

I have HST booksets in Executive and IC swallow livery purchased mail order, new, from a major retailer in the UK, and delivered to Australia. The executive bookset contains two TS coaches in INTERCITY (italicised) livery, both numbered 42284.

From what I can see on many websites the bookset usually comes with one TS 42284 and one TF 41029 so I am not quite sure why mine has two TS! I had planned to use the two IC swallow TF, one from each book set, in the same rake but I am now one TF short.

I'd also like to build up an 8 car ECML rake with Executive "InterCity 125" branding, so I'd like to have an idea how many of the currently available executive liveried TS to order - four, or six, including two to be renumbered/rebranded as TF? (Assuming a catering vehicle and TGS are produced as planned)

Thanks for your help

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi njee20

Sorry but no chance, deco press samples next week, and I'm hoping we get then for just before Christmas. I know the factory is working flat out at the moment so it wouldn't surprise me if the arrived the first week of January.

Sorry

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

A quick update for you.

The GC buffet cars have been sent to the magazines for review, and should land in country on December 11th all being well.

FGW buffets are on the next consignment along with EMT and X-C and i am sending out FGW buffets to magazines today for review.

W&SR + Pretendolino 'twin packs' are next in, probably the first week in January i think, with the IC executive, IC swallow, Blue / grey and virgin ones on the next ship in after that time.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2