Factory finish v spray finish.

Hi. I started asking a few questions in the 'masking query' thread, but thought I would start a new one as I have a few more. I am really struggling to get a satisfactory finish as I am doing a repainted loco.

I have tried everything, adjusting air pressure, paint mix, distance from model, all the usual things, yet still I suffer from a poor finish. It may be a silly question, but I was wondering, just how close can one expect to get to the standard of a beautifully smooth factory finished model? Is it something that should be reasonably achievable?

I can get decent paint coverage (please see the pictures), but my finish is just not as smooth as I would like. But I do wonder if its because I am trying to achieve the impossible and am expecting a perfect factory finish.I don't know what the expected standards should be, not having met anyone proficient themselves in the subject.

Also, when the model is finished, does the final coat of varnish improve the overall finish? Again just wondering as I havent actually got that far with a loco repaint yet.

post-7202-0-68211400-1341869501.jpg

post-7202-0-89019300-1341869521.jpg

post-7202-0-01103300-1341869547.jpg

post-7202-0-81201000-1341869696.jpg

post-7202-0-86052600-1341869731.jpg

First of all, practice make perfect! :-)

Then I have some questions; what paint do you use? Some paints goes on easier than other....

Primers are especially sensitive of high air pressure and being mixed too thick......

For the ultimate smooth finish I prefer cellulose paints.

And to answer your question about top coat; Yes, there is some surface levelling involved, but the grains will still show....

Guest 40-something

I always give the primer a rub down after its dried, then the top coats go on smoother when the paint/thinners are at the right consistancy. I work towards the consistancy of milk and spray in light sweeping coats from around 12 inches away.

You could also try acrylics if you havent already, go on a lot smoother I find, but take a bit of practice to use as they dry very very quickly.

Keep practicing!

Archived