Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Feeling a little bit deflated over the desperately sad news about Andy Rush, who's posts on this thread I always enjoyed reading. It was Gilbert (Great Northern) who told me in person earlier today as I made my way over for my (hopefully) first look at Peterborough North. A day therefore of extreme contrasts. I shall be posting some pictures on the PN thread in due course; but for the rest of this evening, I intend sitting here quietly, uploading some goods train operational information (as provided by Andy) into the Grantham running schedule... I'm sure he would approve. 

Edited by LNER4479

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Was away on a foreign beach most of last week :blind: (not really my type of holiday, more my yearly penance for not-so-little-anymore person :tender: )

Now you might think that's something of a deterrent for modelling - but not so! I find foreign beaches the perfect place to design model railway signalling interlocking (in my own idiosyncratic, teach yourself way :mail: ) so, for any signalling buffs out there (I'm sure there's one or two?) I might feel brave enough to show the results of my efforts in due course  - and you can roll helplessly round on the floor, clutching your sides :rofl: , this being the prelude to the planned construction and installation of the next set of signals for North box in the autumn.

Meanwhile, work proceeds on wiring point motors and section switches for the depot. As that is kinda desperately boring for a post, then here's a further crummy piece of video to be going on with. This was 61070's idea, a sort of helicopter view of a train doing a circuit of the layout.

More soon (with any luck).

'Robert'

• Like 12

Wow 4479, it shows the epic size of your layout!

Was that Mr A's Coronation? Lovely set and at least it was haulable unlike the Golden Age one.

Looking forward to the next update. :)

Was that Mr A's Coronation? Lovely set and at least it was haulable unlike the Golden Age one.

Certainly was, Tom. It was actually it's third visit to the layout. The first (Aug 2010), nothing would budge it! (the vehicles are quite heavy). A simple drop of oil on each of the axle bearings sorted that out. On its second visit (April 2012), it wouldn't go round the three foot radius curves round the back. Vehicles too tightly coupled together. To Mr A's credit he was amenable to some adjustment. On this visit it ran perfectly, throughout Jonathan/Paul's visit and a week later for Mr Wright. No sign of a derailment or even a jib anywhere, both visiting (Hornby) A4's equally able to shift it, the whole thing in unison as a true trainset. A great credit to its builder (Roy Mears). So by the final Sunday evening, I had enough confidence in it to leave it running at speed and follow it with the mobile (think what could have happened if it had jumped the tracks anywhere when I was some distance from the controller!).

I think good running is very important on a layout like this so, at the third time of asking, the Coronation passed the test! I look forward to it entertaining exhibition crowds in the future ;)

Edited by LNER4479

All mailcoach kits but with numerous detail parts added (MJT and the like) and additional fine details (like pipe runs underneath!)

Awful kits !!!! we need a modern version !!. Close up pictures would be good if you get a chance please.

She's here....!! :yahoo:

post-16151-0-38754300-1377958951_thumb.jpg

Yes, courtesy of Tony Wright, Grantham was yesterday safely delivered of a beautiful new station pilot (you may have read about it on Tony's 'Wright writes' thread).

post-16151-0-15792400-1377959304_thumb.jpg

[photograph by Tony Wright]

After initial inspection, the loco was put through her paces, trying out the various moves she will be required to perform on the layout. A sweeter running loco you're seldom likely to meet.

post-16151-0-86103400-1377959447_thumb.jpg

[photograph by Tony Wright]

However, the contrast between Tony's 'billiard table' track on Little Bytham and my more agricultural Code 100 (however well laid) was cruelly exposed, particularly over the dead frogs on the slips, and a modification was required in the shape of additional pick-ups on the front bogie which Tony willingly attended to. Some good hearted banter was to be had as the requests for materials and tools were called out ' cutters!', 'soldering iron!', 'wire!', 'flux', 'tweezers'.... Tony has since described it as 'like a brain surgeon operating on a critically-ill patient with no more than a knife and fork and candlelight'. :rtfm:  Yes, my tools sadly failed to match up to his exacting standards.

post-16151-0-49371200-1377960014_thumb.jpg

Her trials complete, the new loco gets acquainted with some of the Grantham regulars...

post-16151-0-04659100-1377960089_thumb.jpg

...before being descended upon by the eager shed staff who have clearly taken the new arrival to their hearts. Note the Kadee coupler now fitted to the rear. Tony will be horrified to see that I took this photo before blacking out the pick-up modification but if you look closely, you'll just be able to make out the additions to the front bogie. Don't worry Tony, one of the shed staff has just gone to the stores for the tin of black paint. She needs to look her best as there are some further visitors due...(!)

Many thanks to Tony, not only for the beautiful new addition to the stud, but also to he and Mo for making the long journey north yesterday to personally deliver the loco. And, thanks to the most agreeable 'bartering' arrangement in place, not a penny has changed hands. What a great hobby this is. :imsohappy:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 19

To follow on from LNER4479's post, it was a thoroughly enjoyable day at Grantham, here is a selection of photographs from today.

Graeme King's 4005 with scratchbuilt cab

post-19999-0-26485900-1378063951_thumb.jpg

Graeme's 6104

post-19999-0-92600300-1378063957_thumb.jpg

The C12, Grantham's recent addition built by Tony Wright

post-19999-0-55602100-1378063965_thumb.jpg

My 4901 ready to depart for the North, with 6104 waiting patiently behind

post-19999-0-19952100-1378063973_thumb.jpg

My Sunstar passes through Grantham with the Up 'Flying Scotsman'

post-19999-0-76027300-1378063979_thumb.jpg

Graham' 4494 'Osprey' alongside my 4901 'Capercaillie'

post-19999-0-18068500-1378063987_thumb.jpg

4901 charges South doing 70!! With an Up Express for the Cross

post-19999-0-67670800-1378063993_thumb.jpg

'Osprey' is turned

post-19999-0-52157600-1378064000_thumb.jpg

Graeme's P1 trundles through Grantham

post-19999-0-56289400-1378064007_thumb.jpg

Thanks to LNER4479 for making us ever so welcome, and to Jonathan for the cakes!!! YUM YUM!

I didn't leave empty handed, as I have the honour of weathering 'Roberts' 4479 'Robert the Devil'. I shall be cracking on with her this week... Clean but a working engine, wasn't that right 'robert'? :yes:

Edited by 2750
  • Like 18

Oh ######.... I've left my 1938 Working Time Table at Grantham!  :O

At least I now have a reason to give back 4479 and not keep her for myself! :mosking:

Edited by 2750

Oh ######.... I've left my 1938 Working Time Table at Grantham!  :O

At least I now have a reason to give back 4479 and not keep her for myself! :mosking:

Curses, I hoped you wouldn't notice that! I shall read and inwardly digest over the next week or so :read:

Tom - it will be an honour for 4479 to be treated by one so skilful as yourself with the thinners, weathering powders et al. And yes - well looked after but with just a patina of road dirt to take away that 'out of the box' plastic sheen. She comes out far too garish and toy like on the pictures at the moment!

Like the pics; some lovely portrait shots there. :good:

Many of my photos duplicate what's been (or will be) posted, but I did think this was worthy of your consideration:

Grantham_P1_zps55034e6a.jpg

I've put the rest of mine on this layout thread on the LNER forum.

My thanks to Robert for the invitation, to Mrs Robert for lunch and everyone else who was there for some excellent company and conversation.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

My thanks also for a most enjoyable day, great company and hospitality, and some very handsome locos and rolling stock. It was well worth the long drive, which to complete a lovely day was uneventful and speedy in both directions. No photos from me, as I forgot to take my camera. :senile: but those shown above more than adequately reflect the ambience of the layout, and the quality of the stock, both resident and guest. Some lovely locos to be seen and greatly admired and even coveted, but sadly backdating PN to accomodate such things is beyond the bounds of possibility.

As the only person present to have trodden the platforms of Grantham during the glory days of steam, though not those which "Robert" is recreating :nono:  I can confirm that all the essentials are present, plus that lovely feeling of the correct atmosphere which is so hard to achieve. Thanks again for the invitation, and I hope to see the layout again as things progress even further. I doubt though that I would ever understand the operational siide of things. :no: Too many switches and such like things for my struggling memory.

• Like 1