Dapol 2012/13 (and now 2014) O gauge range discussion thread

cromptonnut

Standard box vans, cheaper than the £55 Skytrex ones, would be good sellers. Some including the BR Standard 12 ton van could be used in a wide range of eras including the brown with BR logos or Railfreight, and of course make life much easier than open wagons because they can be "loaded" or "empty" at the same time.

• RMweb Premium

@CME, I have yet to find a reseller who does not require credit card details to "pre-order" these wagons.......hopefully my local shop will be able to get hold of some of the second batch of BR wagons and I shall exchange some pictures of the Queen for them, by hand no less! :biggrin_mini2:

@CME, I have yet to find a reseller who does not require credit card details to "pre-order" these wagons.......hopefully my local shop will be able to get hold of some of the second batch of BR wagons and I shall exchange some pictures of the Queen for them, by hand no less! :biggrin_mini2:

HI BB,

I was told differently by one retailer - and informed that I could withdraw my intent at any time before - eg.- the 08's hit the shops ie if the model/mag reviews didnt strike a chord with me etc..

A contract - of any sort - verbal or otherwise, does of course encompass many aspects though and such should be kept in mind.

Kind regards,

CME

Hi everyone,

The O gauge wagons (5,7 & 8 plank) came in today, and will start getting shipped to stockists who have ordered them and are in good stead, tomorrow. Some might turn up with Stockists on Saturday morning, if not certainly monday/tuesday i'd have thought.

Wagon kits components are also in so special comission models can start manufacture soon as well.

cheers

Dave

Hi CME, very kind, and I'm glad someone has read it. :-)

Cheers

Dave

I bought BRM today for the first time in a while, a great read and much improved.

I really enjoyed the interview too, very candid and some very interesting thoughts on current scene and the the future too.

Roy

Hi CME, very kind, and I'm glad someone has read it. :-)

Cheers

Dave

Will have to buy / download an App store copy. Will be interesting to compare the interview with the previous visit to Dapol by Railway Modeller in September 1984!

George

Dave,

I know you mentioned you have more possibles if these 7mm locos sell well (I have a blue 08 on pre-order) I know it's a long shot, but with your recently released n gauge grids... Would you be in position to scale upto 7mm? I understand you may not want to discuss any plans. But I'd like to register interest in a grid ;).

Edd

Dave,

I know you mentioned you have more possibles if these 7mm locos sell well (I have a blue 08 on pre-order) I know it's a long shot, but with your recently released n gauge grids... Would you be in position to scale upto 7mm? I understand you may not want to discuss any plans. But I'd like to register interest in a grid ;).

Edd

Good shout Ed (from an 'I would like perspective'). I'd certainly take about 3 of them in 7mm :)

Cheers

Tom

Daft as it sounds I can't download the text document so I have disabled the posts; I have a very good idea what's in there as I was kept in the loop about the content (and I don't have a problem with the observations made - and neither does Dave Jones) butI disapprove of registering just to bomb a complaint that was made privately to Dapol. Dapol have responded directly to the customer.

• 4 weeks later...

I was merely making the point that that there are a lot of 3-rail O gauge layouts out there. Generally I find that 3-rail locos are very well engineered but too much rolling stock is rubbish (notable exception being Darstaed 5-BEL Pullman). I have nothing against 2-rail but believe that existing 3-rail users should not be totally ignored. A simple "conversion kit" for 2-rail to run on 3-rail would be nice. I have wired 16 v AC motors to run on 12-24v DC and it is not that difficult.

Thereis a 3-rail Terrier being produced by ETS - available in the UK from WJVintage and raylo (I have no connection with either of these organisations and pass this info on in a spirit of fellowship)

I have ordered O gauge private owner wagons from HATTONS and await delivery. Will then see what they look like at first hand.

Hattons and others take pre-orders for tankers and brake vans. Apparently no word on future availability of locos.

For those of you that have used MODELFAIR - the original owner has sold the business on and service at the moment is below par but will hopefully pick up as new owners get the hang of it.

I have just received my Dapol O guage plank wagons and have to admit I am very pleased with them. They are alot more than just scaled up 00 wagons, the detail on the wheels and brake levers is very good in particular and it is a nice feature to be able to open and close the side doors. The only problems I have encountered so far are the fragilityof the side door hinges (one of mine is already broken after opening it once) and the thickness of the plastic sides; I am concerned that over time the sides may bow as the plastic ages. My second point remains only a concern as it is too early to see how they will react over time.

Forgive me if this stated eleswhere, I've used the search function with no luck.

The Dapol Class 08, I assume its DCC Ready ? If so would a standard Hornby or Bachmann 8 pin decoder provide enough power to operate the loco.

Also does the model have operational lighting ?

Regards

Great Western

Archived