G'day from Victoria Street

G'day All.

The depot shed is pretty much completed, now for the overhead. There is not much on the blog at the moment as the bride has snaffled the good laptop for studies, so this post is courtesy of my sausage fingers on a smartphone.

Enjoy the photos.

Regards Glenn

post-16456-0-54963200-1459675829_thumb.jpg

post-16456-0-17381500-1459675877_thumb.jpg

post-16456-0-52702900-1459675909_thumb.jpg

post-16456-0-84527100-1459676008_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a nice article featuring photos of Victoria Street taken at the Sunshine exhibition in the Model Bus Association of Australia's house journal, which just arrived in the post today.

Brilliant work, Glenn. Keep the great photos coming.

Glenn that is great modelling I keep expecting to see Wclass 898 with a number 6 Glen Iris which I once upon a time caught home from School....you'll figure out which one if I said I looked like a Violet Crumble!!!! Always wanted to be heading home rather than Melb Uni which I later caught!!

Brilliant modelling by the way.... I keep expecting to see a kid hanging on the running boards as well.

No doubt you like the Film Malcolm. The funny thing is years later I did some work at the Preston Tram depot which had a heap of stored W class trams and some other odd balls which were interesting when I had a chance to bunk around in some of the other sheds!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What's the point of having a layout if you cannot have a little fun?

Small scale remote warfare with a camera.

You could always claim they were making a movie.

Speaking of which, have you ever thought of building a model of this "tram"?

post-6959-0-81757900-1484091346.jpg

Cheers

David

I think it would have been better if it had been a centurion tank as there seems to be a large number around. I can recall them as a kid out in Rowville and I think these have been relocated to the "Carribbean gardens". Years later I was working with a guy who had sold 2 tanks both were centurion tanks in the same part of the Melbourne. I guess they were different ones!

This begs the question who wants a centurion tank? But the bigger question is why?

Does anyone remember Michael Bentine's spoof advert on radio? Warning; it is politically incorrect now!

FX: Rumbling and  clanking sounds

[bBC voice]: Yes, it's the new mark IX Centurian tank.

[Different voice]: The vehicle designed by man with the woman driver in mind.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glen, the video is great.

The lights to the front of the tram and the tail lights seem overly bright from my memory. I always thought they were barely on!

I still think your modelling is great. It is so evocative of Melbourne during the period from about 1970 through to 1995 or so. Makes me want to do some thing similar out of the Malvern depot. I knew the 3,72,67,8,7,6 64 etc routes at that time. And nothing like the Connie yelling "if your a student stand up. If there is a school bag in the way stand on it!"

It was a bit sad to see all the w's end their long lives.... but now as a car driver they were slow, messy, antiquated and not friendly to any one who couldn't step up the almost 300mm onto the running board and then again 300mm step and pull them selves onto the floor of the tram. The new ones have no character and are too safe compared!

Glen, the video is great.

The lights to the front of the tram and the tail lights seem overly bright from my memory. I always thought they were barely on!

I still think your modelling is great. It is so evocative of Melbourne during the period from about 1970 through to 1995 or so. Makes me want to do some thing similar out of the Malvern depot. I knew the 3,72,67,8,7,6 64 etc routes at that time. And nothing like the Connie yelling "if your a student stand up. If there is a school bag in the way stand on it!"

It was a bit sad to see all the w's end their long lives.... but now as a car driver they were slow, messy, antiquated and not friendly to any one who couldn't step up the almost 300mm onto the running board and then again 300mm step and pull them selves onto the floor of the tram. The new ones have no character and are too safe compared!

Yes, I'm aware of the non prototypical brightness of the headlamps and tail lights, but as each end up in the Preston workshops that is the workbench I may introduce a larger resistor inline the entire light feed to knock it back a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

G'day All,

If you're one of those who follow the blog, the last twelve months have been rather tumultuous with the relocation of a family, home and the layout.

I'm happy to say that services have return to Victoria Street.

More on the Blog, that has photos

https://glennofootscray.blogspot.com/2018/07/back-on-track.html

Regards Glenn.

Archived