The human side of the railway...

This page so far contains photos of Kestrel and Westerns: surely the two best looking BR diesels by far.

(Dons tin hat and waits for flak!)

Oh David, surely you are forgetting..?.

Crew change for 9015 Tulyar ​at Newcastle in July 1969

I have to say though, I think the 'Westerns' were the least bad looking of any class once the awful full yellow ends were applied. Compare with a blue D800 'Warship' or a 'Deltic' in particular. Give me small yellow panels any time.

(Dons own tin hat and joins David in bunker...)

Trevor (tongue in cheek!)

post-24907-0-85327600-1508502454_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif13.jpg

40 086 on an SRPS Railtour "The Whistler Special" from Kilmarnock down over the Settle & Carlisle on 06/10/84.

This is where the loco ran round for the return trip. Can anyone enlighten me as to the exact location?[/quote

It's at Warcop, I was on it throughout. The tour was actually called the Border Raider and was organised by Douglas Blades and the Swindon DMU Preservation Society, though the headboard called it The Whistler Special.

It started from Edinburgh hauled by 47117 and 40086 took over at Carlisle.

Edited by drjcontroller
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's at Warcop, I was on it throughout. The tour was actually called the Border Raider and was organised by Douglas Blades and the Swindon DMU Preservation Society, though the headboard called it The Whistler Special.

It started from Edinburgh hauled by 47117 and 40086 took over at Carlisle.

Thanks for that. I was just 1 month into my BR YTS scheme and did the trip with my Dad and other members of the Ayr Model Railway Group, hence why we boarded at Kilmarnock. It was my first and so far only trip over the S&C. I really must do something about that.

• Like 1

post-24907-0-30573800-1508844884_thumb.jpg

Conversation piece in Gateshead in 1982 near the site of Bensham station, with Alston Street awaiting demolition. No doubt they would have to speak up as a southbound HST accelerated past.

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

The driver of 55012 Crepello takes a breather at York on 2nd June 1978, as two spotters discuss 'Deltics' in general (possibly).

attachicon.gif(1279d) 55012 York 2-6-78 (Trevor Ermel) .jpg

How many modellers would dare to weather a loco like this?, I wonder.

Trevor

I think someone must have had glue on their fingers when they put the body back on.

It would be amusing to exhibit a layout full of things that looked wrong, with a stack of prototype photos under the baseboard to show to everyone who complaints about the lack of realism.

• RMweb Premium

The driver of 55012 Crepello takes a breather at York on 2nd June 1978, as two spotters discuss 'Deltics' in general (possibly).

Just me?, or does anyone else study all these old platform shots from the 70's & 80's thinking that maybe, just maybe, they'll spot themselves!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hope you are not going to charge me a modelling fee.

Trevor

If I do spot any of me in my 70's style brown corduroy flared trousers, I'll be paying YOU to destroy the negatives !

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 1

Some Beatles, yesterday... honest!

attachicon.gifPM RS .jpg

Nothing better than a Magnum photograph and no better photographer than David Hurn.

http://www.beatlesarchive.net/the-beatles-by-david-hurn.html

...but that ain't non of the Acton stations. He should have remembered being here.

post-508-0-03762000-1508973498_thumb.jpg

P

• Like 4

Just me?, or does anyone else study all these old platform shots from the 70's & 80's thinking that maybe, just maybe, they'll spot themselves!

Increasingly, going by the rate people are uploading their old photos of what were once mundane scenes, it's statistically likely I'll find myself in a shot of Bham New Street on a Saturday in the mid 80s.

Here's another one at York. Anyone recognise himself?

post-24907-0-18037400-1509223349_thumb.jpg

Spotters indulge in a bit of nameplate-rubbing, with 55021 the target on 5th August 1980. Good job they seem to be using wallpaper - Argyll & Sutherland Highlander is one of the longer ones. 

Trevor

• Like 12