Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Gold

I understood from a Hornby rep I met a week or so back that they were expecting two containers in on 16 December and there was a faint possibility that there might be some 'Castles'

And looking at the pics on the Rails website there would appear to be an error on the loco or it was at some stage backwards modif1ed as it appears to have a mechanical lubricator - which 5053 didn't have in 1958 by which time it was running with the later crest on the tender, so it might need a little surgery.

Mind, the 'Rails' price strikes me as truly remarkable bringing the loco in 25 quid under list, and under 100 quid ;)

I have just been notfied by Hattons that the Pete Waterman Collection Castle "Earl Cairns" is on its' way to Switzerland :D. I wonder if it will be in GWR or BR Livery? According to Simon Kohler's reply to my e-mail it will be in GWR liver, the photograph of the loco on Hattons' website is not the model, but a photo of the locomotive in BR days

I await my parcel with interest

I have just been notfied by Hattons that the Pete Waterman Collection Castle "Earl Cairns" is on its' way to Switzerland biggrin.gif. I wonder if it will be in GWR or BR Livery? According to Simon Kohler's reply to my e-mail it will be in GWR liver, the photograph of the loco on Hattons' website is not the model, but a photo of the locomotive in BR days

I await my parcel with interest

Hello iL Dottore,

"Earl Cairns" is in early BR green livery - that is with the original BR crest!

HTH,

John E.

Hello iL Dottore,

"Earl Cairns" is in early BR green livery - that is with the original BR crest!

HTH,

John E.

Blast: :angry: and I was assured by Simon Kohler that it would be in GWR livery - so it's off to Woodham's* with it!

* Woodham's - the name I gave my rubbish bin (where things go to get broken up, recycled, scrapped and occasionally renovated!**)

** maybe I'll swap it for something or repaint it [i'm a Philistine, I know])

• RMweb Gold

Picked mine up from Arcadia models in Shaw - she's a beauty!

It's the Pete Waterman model of 5053 "Earl Cairns" but now shes all wrapped up for Santa!

Cheers all,

John E.

John.Any chance of some photos and a review over/after the Christmas period for those of us waiting for the GW version plase.

It looks like - rather bizarrely - that they have retained the hook coupling between engine and tender? :huh:

Why, given every new release since the Merchant Navys all those years ago introduced that simple and effective plug system?

EDIT: I think I know why now...

It's been matched with a Hawksworth tender - which they have re-used from behind the county, perhaps?

• RMweb Gold

Lets hope the backhead detail is as good this.It don't get any better. :icon_drool: :icon_drool:

http://www.masterpiecemodels.co.uk/gallery.php

I thought the pre-production cab pics looked quite good - as long as you want a loco with a mechanical lubricator and not hydrostatic (unless they've got even more detail variations possible than looked to be the case) :rolleyes: .

• RMweb Gold

The image of the limited edition 7007 Great Western in the Hornby 2010 range seems to have the wrong front cylinder cover with the early curved corners.

David

Hopefully it's just a manipulated image with altered name & number and that things will be right on the production version. While I yet again repeat my concern about getting individual loco details correct I'm inclined to reserve full judgement at least until my two 70XX series locos are in my hands.

Another point tho' - and not really clear from the Hatton's pics - but is the curvature of the nameplate on 5043 correct because in some views it looks as if it matches the splasher beading?

Mind you it says something about the rest of the loco if we are down to talking about minutiae like this ;) .

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully it's just a manipulated image with altered name & number and that things will be right on the production version. While I yet again repeat my concern about getting individual loco details correct I'm inclined to reserve full judgement at least until my two 70XX series locos are in my hands.

Another point tho' - and not really clear from the Hatton's pics - but is the curvature of the nameplate on 5043 correct because in some views it looks as if it matches the splasher beading?

Mind you it says something about the rest of the loco if we are down to talking about minutiae like this ;) .

Did you know thats the only Castle to share its name with a volcano and a 0-6-2T !

• RMweb Gold

:lol:

Mike.What did you mean by the nameplate curvature as it looks ok to me.

The 'Earl' plates (or perhaps only some of them?) were not concentric with the driving splashers of a 'Castle' as they were, of course, originally made to fit on the 4-4-0s.

I'm not sure if this applied to all the plates but in broadside photos some of the lower numbered 'Earl' series of 'Castles' clearly have plates that are not concentric.

I suppose the $64,000 dollar question in relation to 5053 is whether or not it had concentric namplates? Some of the later numbered ones with long names definitely do not look to be concentric in photos but the only broadside pic I can find of 5053 is not really close enough or clear enough to give a definite answer.

• RMweb Gold

The 'Earl' plates (or perhaps only some of them?) were not concentric with the driving splashers of a 'Castle' as they were, of course, originally made to fit on the 4-4-0s.

I'm not sure if this applied to all the plates but in broadside photos some of the lower numbered 'Earl' series of 'Castles' clearly have plates that are not concentric.

I suppose the $64,000 dollar question in relation to 5053 is whether or not it had concentric namplates? Some of the later numbered ones with long names definitely do not look to be concentric in photos but the only broadside pic I can find of 5053 is not really close enough or clear enough to give a definite answer.

I have a photo Mike of 5053 at Old Oak in 1953.I think you are right you know.I never knew that.

John.Any chance of some photos and a review over/after the Christmas period for those of us waiting for the GW version plase.

Hi Robin,

I had just done a thorough review of the model and was uploading my last pictures when the web/forum went down - grrr! Rather than attempt to write all that again (perhaps i should have done it in word (& saved it!)), here are my pictures at least!

A single word review for you: SUPERB!

post-6892-12619302685424_thumb.jpg

post-6892-12619303544861_thumb.jpg

post-6892-12619303906696_thumb.jpg

post-6892-1261930522256_thumb.jpg

post-6892-12619304503419_thumb.jpg

post-6892-1261930564645_thumb.jpg

post-6892-12619306034847_thumb.jpg

• Like 4