Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Premium

I have ordered both 'Portrait of Castles' and 'The Book of Castles' so hopefully will have a fairly comprehensive library of Castles so that I can pick which Castle from the new range to donate to my Double Chimney version of Bristol Castle. Bit of a minefield these Castles.

• RMweb Gold

Earl Cairns beat the snow to arrive today. A few more piccies:

post-6916-12626932121788_thumb.jpg

post-6916-12626932833131_thumb.jpg

post-6916-12626933183514_thumb.jpg

post-6916-12626933527126_thumb.jpg

And a few comapring the old Earl Cairns to the new:

post-6916-12626933908124_thumb.jpg

post-6916-12626934495188_thumb.jpg

You can reaaly see the differnece in roof profile here:

post-6916-12626935040762_thumb.jpg

All in all a stunning model. Now I just need to wait for one suitable for renaming to Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The one minor downside to this is that the nameplate and splasher side appear to be one single molding, so the existing nameplates won't just 'snap' off.

• RMweb Gold

The one thing I've just noticed is the cab numbers are orange lined.When you put etched cabside plates on these don't come lined.Can you buy a transfer anywhere for this ?

All in all a stunning model. Now I just need to wait for one suitable for renaming to Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The one minor downside to this is that the nameplate and splasher side appear to be one single molding, so the existing nameplates won't just 'snap' off.

Thanks for those pics.

Here is what the old model Hattons?-weathered and with a bit of photo-editing looks like, Hawksworth tender and all. The new model looks very much finer. Congratulations Hornby.

I look forward in particular to a GWR version, but I admit I have fondness for the old Ringfield engine-drive models, especially the rare ones which ran silently!

Taunton_Castle_BR_Built_1950.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the pictures, how's the running quality?

alas I don't know yet. My layout is still at the bare baseboard stage and I haven't dug out my set track 'running in' circle for it yet.

• RMweb Premium

The one thing I've just noticed is the cab numbers are orange lined.When you put etched cabside plates on these don't come lined.Can you buy a transfer anywhere for this ?

Yes, I believe that the HMRS pressfix or methfix GWR/BR loco lining sheet has the appropriate section of lining.

It looks to be a superb model. I'm currently in the process of repainting an old one but it's tempting to not bother and splash out on one of these!

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know when Tintagel Castle will arrive in the shops?

All I need then to do is identify which loco I will model....... I hope Tintagel has the original small tender that was used for the first batch.....

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know when Tintagel Castle will arrive in the shops?

All I need then to do is identify which loco I will model....... I hope Tintagel has the original small tender that was used for the first batch.....

Neal.I think its coming with a Collett 4000g tender.I'm waiting with baited breath... ;)

• Like 1

The slidebar support bracket is, I reckon, a lot neater than the new one!

Hatton still have a few of the weathered 'Tauntons' in stock.

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=18616

Looking at the compare/contrast pics, I would dare to say that there is some distance between the two models. Earl Cairns runs as well as recent Hornby releases, and whilst my Bristolian GW allegiances have wained over recent years, this beauty has rekindled some flame deep within, and has unearthed some dusty tomes from my Wild Swan catalogue.

Roll on the 28xx.

N

• RMweb Gold

Hatton still have a few of the weathered 'Tauntons' in stock.

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=18616

Looking at the compare/contrast pics, I would dare to say that there is some distance between the two models. Earl Cairns runs as well as recent Hornby releases, and whilst my Bristolian GW allegiances have wained over recent years, this beauty has rekindled some flame deep within, and has unearthed some dusty tomes from my Wild Swan catalogue.

Roll on the 28xx.

N

Theyr'e not going to sell many at that price.For a tenner more at some places you will get the new better model.At Warley I saw on the TMC stand a similar 'Tresco Abbey' going for ??150.Made me laugh. :rolleyes:

robmcg, I like the look of your 'Castle'.

Well, it is interesting that our eye falls on different things.

To me, the older 'Castle' by Hornby was quite good, especially 'Bristol Castle' with 5-pole and a bit of detailing. The finest thing about 'Earl Cairns' to my eye is that the drivers are scale, where the previous was a bit underscale, the beauty of the 'Star' class being very much a clean greyhound look is better represented than with the old model.

Not sure but the wheels from Hornby rebuilt Scots might be very similar to the new Castle in terms of tooling.

While the better depiction of rivets and minor detail on the new model is good, in photos it comes out rather to prominently. It's like womem. Shape and attitude....

All praise to Hornby.

Rob

The slidebar support bracket is, I reckon, a lot neater than the new one!

They got that about right on the 'King', but the tight clearances on the Castle between drivers 1 and 2 must have been an headache!

It's interesting, the re-creation of what was 'real'... the double chimney doesn't look too great, I'm wondering if it was just fashion, like car exhausts...

...and what of the upper quadrant? Must be Shrewsbury.... but withall, this video shows a 'Castle'... yes, weathered 'Taunton Castle', uphill in a station and junction perhaps with a summer Saturday brought to a dead stand by Midland signamen waiting for a Leeds-Bournemouth, one of several for the Bristol line, all with Black 5s and Jubilees, the longer trains with 2P Fowlers doubling, and at Bristol or Bath they got West Country and Standard 5MTs usually double headed for the 1-in-50... meanwhile the Castle drags 10 carriages up a short grade for London, late, 12 minutes late... and at Cheltenham still late, and a Swindon-London run was ade at a steady 90mph except for signals, unrecorded.

a 'still' from onesuch scene...

GWR_BR_Castle_Running_Fast_1960.jpg

Rob

• RMweb Gold

247 Developments have them listed

Thanks Mick but I'm pretty sure they are for the nameplate and splashers and not cabsides.I will email Garry at 247 and ask.Fox definitely don't do them.

• RMweb Gold

They got that about right on the 'King', but the tight clearances on the Castle between drivers 1 and 2 must have been an headache!

It's interesting, the re-creation of what was 'real'... the double chimney doesn't look too great, I'm wondering if it was just fashion, like car exhausts...

...and what of the upper quadrant? Must be Shrewsbury.... but withall, this video shows a 'Castle'... yes, weathered 'Taunton Castle', uphill in a station and junction perhaps with a summer Saturday brought to a dead stand by Midland signamen waiting for a Leeds-Bournemouth, one of several for the Bristol line, all with Black 5s and Jubilees, the longer trains with 2P Fowlers doubling, and at Bristol or Bath they got West Country and Standard 5MTs usually double headed for the 1-in-50... meanwhile the Castle drags 10 carriages up a short grade for London, late, 12 minutes late... and at Cheltenham still late, and a Swindon-London run was ade at a steady 90mph except for signals, unrecorded.

a 'still' from onesuch scene...

GWR_BR_Castle_Running_Fast_1960.jpg

Rob

Thats a fabulous clip Rob.I really love the sounds.Hornby are doing a dcc sound Castle this year. :icon_drool: