Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived this morning.  Nice. Has a much better finish and colour than my last purchase, King Edward V.  'Improved engine green' one might say.

First impression is that it runs really smoothly too, before any proper running in.

Now need to choose a suitable new identity for south Devon, 1938-ish, and do the usual titivation.

Would post a pic but my wife's just gone away for a few days with the camera.

John. 

Edited by checkrail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a few of mine and I agree about the green, getting better and looks the same as the recent Star release. The tender is the same as used on Tintagel.

post-126-0-78633800-1496487792_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-29180500-1496487812_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-52446400-1496487830_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-02413600-1496487878_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-68273800-1496487899_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Enjoy.Give it a good road test...then new plates and crest change ? First proper GWR Castle in several years.But do I really need one ?

That is the eternal question...

If you do decide that you need one, I’d be curious to read your reaction to the green. In gwrrob’s excellent shots (thank you :)) it does look better but is it as good as it could be? One aspect which jars a bit with me is the high gloss of the boiler bands contrasting with the semi-gloss of the paintwork. Perhaps it doesn’t matter much as the bands are so thin but when it appears on the class designation number on a coach or MU, it is very obvious. I haven’t seen many mentions of it, so perhaps it’s just me being eccentric, as usual. 

• RMweb Gold

Go on, you know you want one. :sungum:

post-126-0-68724400-1496503544_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-17772300-1496503554_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-68857400-1496503577_thumb.jpg

Coal removed,fallplate straightened and Modelu lamps added so far.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

If you do decide that you need one, I’d be curious to read your reaction to the green. In gwrrob’s excellent shots (thank you :)) it does look better but is it as good as it could be? One aspect which jars a bit with me is the high gloss of the boiler bands contrasting with the semi-gloss of the paintwork. Perhaps it doesn’t matter much as the bands are so thin but when it appears on the class designation number on a coach or MU, it is very obvious. I haven’t seen many mentions of it, so perhaps it’s just me being eccentric, as usual.

It's not there yet but it's a big improvement on the last effort.For a mass-produced model it really is very good indeed.Subtle weathering and etched plates should make it even better.

• RMweb Gold

A mention and heads up to say that whilst adding the extras I noticed the vacuum pipe for the tender is incorrect and needs to be an upright version. Not sure if all the batch is affected.

• RMweb Gold

Looking for a new, preferably Laira-based,1938-ish identity for Drysllwyn Castle I first hit on 5041 Tiverton Castle, until I read that Castles from 5044 onwards had a shorter chimney, so I might go for 5073 Cranbook Castle (2nd use of that name, after 5048 became 'Earl of Devon;')

Now the new Hornby Castle differs from Tintagel in that it has the later front-end inside cylinder casing, and has the fire-iron tunnel, but the chimneys are the same height. Are they the short version or the long?  Or in other words, is Tintagel Castle modelled as with later replacement chimney - though given the tender livery it'd have to have been done by early 1934 - or is the chimney on Drysllwyn Castle wrong?

Yours ignorantly and confusedly,

John C.

• RMweb Gold

I think you might struggle with a Laira based one suitable for your period John.Just checked my South Devon allocations book.I hadn't noticed the chimney to be honest so maybe Cranbrook is as good an option you have. As you know 5073 Cranbrook became Blenheim in 1941. ;)

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwr_src1434.htm

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Nice pic link - thanks Rob.  Given that the chimneys on the two models are the same anyway, I'm veering back towards Tiverton. It has a certain congruence in that the castle was once held by the Courtenays (built by their de Redvers forerunners as Earls of Devon). 

But I'll probably spend the next couple of evenings poring over my 1930s GW albums to see if I can tell thev difference, chimney-wise, between 4073 - 5043, and 5043 onward.

My wife's away with her daughters, so nice quiet evening with Lockett, Sooley, Hubback, Earley et al, and perhaps a wee dram.

John C.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have now had a good browse through the various GW picture albums.  Strange, but from not having a clue until last week that shorter chimneys were applied to castles from the mid-30s I now find I'm able to distinguish fairly easily from photos.  I gave myself a test, to leaf through the books and call 'short' or 'long' every time I came to a castle picture. Then I'd look at the caption for the loco number.  I only got 2 or 3 wrong. 

So the question remains - is the chimney on Hornby's Drysllwyn Castle too tall?

John C. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So the question remains - is the chimney on Hornby's Drysllwyn Castle too tall?

John C. 

If you bear with me I'll do a photo comparison for you.

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

Little bit late, but R3454 Drysllwyn Castle is now in stock with us. :)

Alex @ Footplate

• RMweb Gold

If you bear with me I'll do a photo comparison for you.

Here's a comparison shot of Drysllwyn on the right with Tintagel on the left. Is it me or is Drys shorter ?

post-126-0-73764400-1497021151_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-01128800-1497021164_thumb.jpg

Anyone wishing to add a quality crew should look at the Masterpiece range from Martin Hill. I used FF53 here. He does another set too suitable for the Hornby Castle/Star.

post-126-0-24614800-1497021179_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Here's a comparison shot of Drysllwyn on the right with Tintagel on the left. Is it me or is Drys shorter ?

attachicon.gifDSCN1200 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1201 (2).JPG

Anyone wishing to add a quality crew should look at the Masterpiece range from Martin Hill. I used FF53 here. He does another set too suitable for the Hornby Castle/Star.

attachicon.gifDSCN1204 (2).JPG

Thanks Robin.  I think they're the same, which is what I thought when I put my two side by side. 

Yes, crew are nice.  But I found it difficult some time back to track down Masterpiece on the web.  Maybe it was just me.

John C.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Robin.  I think they're the same, which is what I thought when I put my two side by side. 

Yes, crew are nice.  But I found it difficult some time back to track down Masterpiece on the web.  Maybe it was just me.

John C.

From where I sit they look the same to me too....but then I'm standing at the the vertically disadvantaged position....only 5' 6" and shrinking :senile: At my age you do.....

• RMweb Premium

Is there a website for them, Rob?

• RMweb Gold

Is there a website for them, Rob?

Unfortunately not but his address and phone number is:

Martin Hill

28 Chiltley Lane

Liphook

Hampshire

GU30 7HJ

01428 727341

£10 per painted crew plus 10%  postage cost.

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately not but his address and phone number is:

Martin Hill

28 Chiltley Lane

Liphook

Hampshire

GU30 7HJ

01428 727341

£10 per painted crew plus 10% postage cost.

Does he have a printed catalogue? I'm in New Zealand so when he's awake I'm asleep and vice versa. I don't think he'd appreciate a call in the middle of the night asking about crew for a model lol.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSCN1200 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1201 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1204 (2).JPG

I think the chimney is the same. Good photo's showing how much better the new shade of green is - its almost 'right'....... :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I like it.Nice one chaps.Super model.The green is the best yet.Couldn't resist.Another moment of "weakness".....

I had the chance to run it properly under load (8 new Hornby Colletts) yesterday.IMHO the "finish" is the best yet and light years ahead of Hornby's previous offerings.The shade of green is richer and deeper and has an attractive lively shine.The lining was always top class and this one runs true to form.For me,this step forward puts the Castle in its rightful place as top of thr tree.It was always a good 'un but let down by a flat paint finish....no more.Performance remains smooth and powerful as ever.It is refreshing to see an established model being improved in this way.Thanks for listening to us old codgers...

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Quick question for a pending project.

Has anyone removed the cab off the castle from the boiler/running plate? There are two 'lugs' on each side attaching it to the running plate. But what else needs unsticking? and How?

Is the backhead part of the cab, and what about the 'cover' just in front of the drivers side, and the associated ATC pipe runs?

I'm attempting a possibly foolish project to make a decent model of 5043 as preserved (following Hornby's less than detail-focused effort).

Thanks for any advice.

• 4 months later...

It's time for an update:

Collett Tender = 8 - 2 GWR, 2 early crest, 4 late crest
Hawksworth Tender = 5 - 1 GW, 4 early crest, 0 late crest
3500gl Tender = 1 - GWR

4073 Caerphilly Castle - R3237 Single Chimney, (Great Western 3500gl tender)
4098 Kidwelly Castle - R2897XS Single Chimney, (BR Early / Hawksworth tender)
5011 Tintagel Castle - R2848 Single Chimney, (Great Western Collett tender)
5043 Earl of Mount Edgecumbe - R3301 Double Chimney, (BR early / Hawksworth Tender)
5053 Earl Cairns - R2822 Single chimney, (BR early / Hawksworth Tender)
5068 Beverston Castle - R2849 Single Chiney, (BR early / Collett Tender)
5075 Wellington - R3105 Single chimney, ( GW / Hawksworth Tender)
5076 Drysllwyn Castle - R3454 Single Chimney, GW / Collett Tender)
7007 Great Western - R2958 Single Chimney, (BR Early / Hawksworth Tender)
7023 Penrice Castle - R3118 Double Chimney, (BR Late / Collett Tender)
7029 Clun Castle - R2994XS Double Chimney, (BR Late / Collett Tender), DCC Sound.
7034 Ince Castle - R2850 Double Chimney, (BR Late / Collett Tender),
7036 Taunton Castle - R2986 Freeman Duchy set Single chimney, (BR early / Collett Tender)
7037 Swindon - R2852 Single Chimney, (BR Late / Collett Tender)

Dusting off my old list from here:

The following list is single chimney unless specified:

GWR:
Tintagel Castle ....... Great <arms> Western ..... Collett tender
Caerphilly Castle .... Great <arms> Western ..... Churchward tender
Wellington .............. G <arms> W ..................... Hawksworth tender
Drysllwyn Castle .... Shirt button ....................... Collett tender

BR:
Earl Cairns ......................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender
Beverston Castle ............... Early crest ... Collett tender
Ince Castle ......................... Late crest .... Collett tender .............. double chimney
Kidwelly Castle ................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender .................................... sound
Swindon ............................. Late crest .... Collett 4000g tender .................................. STEAM Museum special
Great Western ................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender
Clun Castle ........................ Late crest .... Collett tender ...............double chimney ..... sound
Taunton Castle .................. Early crest ... Hawksworth tender ..................................... weathered, limited edition
Taunton Castle .................. Early crest ... Collett tender ............................................. "Date with the Duchy" set
Penrice Castle ................... Late crest .... Collett tender .............. double chimney
Earl of Mount Edgcumbe ... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender .... double chimney
Abergavenny Castle .......... Late crest ... Collett tender

Are there any missing?

Edited by Ozexpatriate