Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

Hard to believe that models of this quality can be bought at current prices, plus the cost in time or money of the excellent weathering shown. 

Here is my edited version of 6029 which shows the previous rather pale green. I can't say I mind all that much, in real life they varied somewhat, but the Bachmann Brunswick green as shown in Silver Sidelines picture regarding nameplate sizes in another thread is perhaps more pleasing.

post-7929-0-06038300-1520971354_thumb.jpg

will remove if required

edit oops really should be in King thread...

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Here is my edited version of 6029 which shows the previous rather pale green. I can't say I mind all that much, in real life they varied somewhat, but the Bachmann Brunswick green as shown in Silver Sidelines picture regarding nameplate sizes in another thread is perhaps more pleasing.

attachicon.gifking_cornwall_6029_4abcdefg_r1200.jpg

will remove if required

edit oops really should be in King thread...

You can almost hear the rumble looking at that picture.

Is anyone able to advice whether the bend in the running plate which was present on earlier castles including R3118 Penrice Catle is still evident in the current releases? Many thanks.

based on this picture, yes, there is a 'bump' above the front splashes, and the ski-slope of the front running plate:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/29907/Hornby-r3383tts-oo-gauge-br-4-6-0-earl-of-st-germans-5050-castle-class-br-early-with-tts-sound

I have a theory that some of these distortions may be caused by tension introduced in the running plate once it is fitting to the smokebox. However it will be a few months before I have stripped/scavanged my spare Ince castle body enough to risk the major force of removing the boiler from the running plate to see what the moulding is like when stripped down.

It's time for an update:

Dusting off my old list from here:

The following list is single chimney unless specified:

GWR:

Tintagel Castle ....... Great <arms> Western ..... Collett tender

Caerphilly Castle .... Great <arms> Western ..... Churchward tender

Wellington .............. G <arms> W ..................... Hawksworth tender

Drysllwyn Castle .... Shirt button ....................... Collett tender

BR:

Earl Cairns ......................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender

Beverston Castle ............... Early crest ... Collett tender

Ince Castle ......................... Late crest .... Collett tender .............. double chimney

Kidwelly Castle ................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender .................................... sound

Swindon ............................. Late crest .... Collett 4000g tender .................................. STEAM Museum special

Great Western ................... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender

Clun Castle ........................ Late crest .... Collett tender ...............double chimney ..... sound

Taunton Castle .................. Early crest ... Hawksworth tender ..................................... weathered, limited edition

Taunton Castle .................. Early crest ... Collett tender ............................................. "Date with the Duchy" set

Penrice Castle ................... Late crest .... Collett tender .............. double chimney

Earl of Mount Edgcumbe ... Early crest ... Hawksworth tender .... double chimney

Abergavenny Castle .......... Late crest ... Collett tender

Are there any missing?

Are you missing last years TTS sound release Earl of St. Germans?

More beautiful than the airplane.

Can't say I agree with that... :) Spitfire (the 'plane) remains one of the most beautiful forms of engineering ever. Having said that - both that and the Castle class as represented by 5071 Spitfire above would have to be perfect examples of British engineering, at the time world-leading. BOTH stunning.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

The Hornby Castle is a great model - I have weathered and modified at least 6 (I only have two!) and have brought at least 2 Pendennis Castle representations in to being. To owners of the Caerphilly Castle limited edition: You’re welcome! I have made your model more valuable to the tune of two less on the market!

Here is the traditional GWR line up posed on my kitchen worktop(!). The locos are (front to rear) Nos. 4079 Pendennis Castle in very early BR condition (blank Collett 4,000 gallon tender), 5004 Llanstephen Castle (late 1920s GREAT [crest] WESTERN on a Churchward 3,500 gallon tender), 5051 Earl Bathurst ( Early BR ‘unicycling lion’ logo, Collet 4,000 gallon tender) and 7036 Taunton Castle (late BR ‘ferret and dartboard’ logo on a Hawksworth 4,000 gallon tender). The builds of all of these are on Little Didcot if you are interested.

post-14393-0-85783400-1522834786_thumb.jpeg

Not on Little Didcot as it is very similar to the above is No. 4079 Pendennis Castle (as preserved) with a rather larger scale model of the same engine...

post-14393-0-67525100-1522835581_thumb.jpeg

post-14393-0-59858500-1522835772_thumb.jpeg

And finally, using the bits left over from doing the above Pendennis Castle conversion, we have No. 5011 Tintagel Castle in early 1930s condition when she briefly used a Churchward 3,500 gallon tender.

post-14393-0-30194500-1522836179_thumb.jpeg

There is lots you can do with these models but do be aware that sometimes a tender swap requires a bit of requiring as the plugs between loco and tender are not always wired in the same order. I hope that was interesting!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 7

Not on Little Didcot as it is very similar to the above is No. 4079 Pendennis Castle (as preserved) with a rather larger scale model of the same engine...

attachicon.gifA5523289-53CA-4911-A02E-A6D809B04E80.jpeg

Something I only noticed on my last visit to Didcot (now that 4079 is more visually complete) is that the cab front windows are of the smaller type. This I now also see is the case for 4073. What I can't tell is whether they were built with the larger type (as seen today on Nunny, Edgecumbe and Bathurst), and modified later on.

This means that the Hornby 4073 (and by dint a 4079 conversion) is wrong for its preserved state, as it should have the same cab as most recently used on 5076 (smaller front windows, straight cab handrail)...

I'm generally confused by the castle cab front windows. I would have thought the larger the better when trying to see along a long boiler... quite why the went from 'large to small' in the late 1930s I don't know.

Edited by G-BOAF

No need to be confused G-BOAF, just ask!

There ar two types of cab front windows in the large tender engines at Didcot and the difference is simple. The ones that appear to be larger are just a brass frame with some glass in. These are hinged directly off the inside front wall of the cab.The ones that appear smaller are a brass frame and window combination. The frame is bolted directly to the inside of the front cab wall and the separate hinged window frame is in that. This type also sometimes has an integral windscreen wiper as part of the hinged window frame. No. 4079 still has these fitted as she hasn’t been in a Scrapyard and is thus still relatively ‘origInal’.

I am away from my books at the moment so I can’t tell you any more chapter and verse than that but in 4mm scale, the difference is so slight as to not really be worth bothering with in my humble option. I’d rather not try to fiddle around too much with the clear bits and keep it neat and tidy as the factory seem to have done a good job. I hope modellers have removed the TPWS box fitted under the driver’s seat too - it was modelled after the one fitted to No. 5051 and has been recovered to house new electronics on No. 4079! Unless a late 1990s / early 2000s Earl Bathurst is what you are after of course...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is lots you can do with these models but do be aware that sometimes a tender swap requires a bit of requiring as the plugs between loco and tender are not always wired in the same order. I hope that was interesting!

All the best,

Castle

The wires for the pick-ups usually need swapping over - it's not just Castles either ;)

No need to be confused G-BOAF, just ask!

There ar two types of cab front windows in the large tender engines at Didcot and the difference is simple. The ones that appear to be larger are just a brass frame with some glass in. These are hinged directly off the inside front wall of the cab.The ones that appear smaller are a brass frame and window combination. The frame is bolted directly to the inside of the front cab wall and the separate hinged window frame is in that. This type also sometimes has an integral windscreen wiper as part of the hinged window frame. No. 4079 still has these fitted as she hasn’t been in a Scrapyard and is thus still relatively ‘origInal’.

I am away from my books at the moment so I can’t tell you any more chapter and verse than that but in 4mm scale, the difference is so slight as to not really be worth bothering with in my humble option. I’d rather not try to fiddle around too much with the clear bits and keep it neat and tidy as the factory seem to have done a good job. I hope modellers have removed the TPWS box fitted under the driver’s seat too - it was modelled after the one fitted to No. 5051 and has been recovered to house new electronics on No. 4079! Unless a late 1990s / early 2000s Earl Bathurst is what you are after of course...

All the best,

Castle

Thank you Castle, very useful!

I thought it was the larger windows that had the wipers (as in here)?

http://steamagedaydreams.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/5043-moorthorpe.jpg

Or are you saying the wiper on the smaller windows was part of the frame (as on 7029 here)?

https://www.railwaymagazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2017/01/RM-Jan-p9.jpg

Both types from your description above are hinged. In this case why did Swindon not just stick with the larger type due to better visibility?

And yes one of my castles is 5051 as per its last mainline period in BR early crest with Hawksworth tender (though I still need to sort external sandboxes and work out whether and how I'm fitting the later type of cylinder cover...

Hi G- BOAF,

I’m on shed tomorrow and will get some illustrative pictures for you to see!

All the best,

Castle

PS: B15nac - I can’t see from the picture but does your lovely conversion have the GWR numbers on the front buffer beam? Several of the late survivors, No. 4079 included, wore them at the end.

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to hold off on this until I could write a complete blog post, but this will now have to wait a few weeks…

Below is 7027 Thornbury Castle (or will be when nameplates arrive!).

post-4226-0-04000800-1523751316_thumb.jpg

This goes somewhat further than others' have gone in terms of loco tender swaps and renamings, in that I have actually swapped the cab out! In this case, 7027 uses an Earl Cairns single chimney boiler combined with an Ince Castle cab (small front windows, L-handrail). The boiler is being held in position while cab/boiler interface dries, hopefully resulting in a vertical cab!

I also need to remove the LH smokebox oil pipe and fill/paint holes, and replace the RH one with the longer moulding off a double chimney boiler. At some point I also need to square off the rounded centre cylinder cover and add some non-slip plate, and fabricate some external rear cab sandboxes. Combined with a Collet Tender off Ince, she will be an illusive BR single chimney late crest (non-embellished) castle!

In the background is the Earl Cairns cab and Ince Castle boiler, destined to become 5043 Earl of Mount Edgecumbe, with Hawksworth Tender. Getting 5043 with correct cab was the real reason I embarked on this project. 7027 is a happy by-product (and unlike 5043 not unique as Hornby have that mix of tooling in 7036 and 7037)!

Full report on how the dismantling occurred and what work was needed will follow.

Breaking up two brand new £120+ locos is not necessarily my idea of fun, but the finished results will be, I think, worth it, especially as they use Sanda Kan (i.e. decent green and fine lining) parts!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not quite the substantive progress report I wanted to make, no progress on 5043, but my 'prototype' recabbing and renaming of 7027 is inching closer to completion.

As things stand, here is a 'run of the mill' late crest, single chimney Castle, a few months before Hornby have managed it!

Much to do, but the 'hard work' is, I think, done.

post-4226-0-67999300-1526942522_thumb.jpg

post-4226-0-93223400-1526942534_thumb.jpg

Jobs done:

1. L-handrail cab fitted to single chimney boiler (with interfaces and joints being scraped/cleaned, and glued in stages to ensure alignment)

2. Left hand smokebox oil pipe removed (a bit of cotton threaded under, and then firmly pulled (not sharply tugged!))

Jobs still to do:

Fit name and numberplates

Fill oil pipe holes with milliput and touch up with satin black and Humbrol GWR/BR green acrylic.

Touch up front LH cab roof corner with satin black (damaged by packaging, repaired with glue)

Replace RH oil pipe cover with larger cover off D/C boiler

Either square off round cylinder cover with filler or (if possible) swap out for later square edged/checker plate version (or possibly 3D print - may be some months off)

Fit sand boxes below cab (as above - some months off while I figure out how to get boxes)

Correct skewed RH tender handrail (Hornby QC lapse in 2010!). EDIT - done, 19m after posting!

Possibly fit OHL flashes as per future mainline running in 2024(?)

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just had a call to let me know that 'Abergavenny Castle' has arrived at my local retailer and awaits collection - am I alone in thinking that it is running several months early?

Looking on the hattons website, it says stock due "June", so maybe not...

• RMweb Gold

Just had a call to let me know that 'Abergavenny Castle' has arrived at my local retailer and awaits collection - am I alone in thinking that it is running several months early?

No,don't think so..My 87E Castle has arrived.Actually believe it or not,it in fact has been quick off the mark if I think about it.

Thank you Hornby.....and of course Paul who was sorely missed,along with the team,at Quorn last month.One of The Red Dragon 's old friends is finally returned to us. Diolch!

• Like 1

Looks a nicely made model. On the plus side, someone has correctly specified the non-conduit running plate (which we now know know still exists, having last been seen with 5011).

On the negative side, it has the smaller non-wiper cab front windows. We know the correct cab tooling survived the move from Sanda Kan as it was used on 4073. Both this and the recent GWR 5050 should have had the larger wiper-fitted windows but Hornby did not use the correct tooling.

From the Hatttons pic, the livery looks good, and shade of green reasonable, certainly when compared to early Kings. Look forward to seeing 'natural' pictures on here.

Obviously as per my post 1046, I'm already sorted with a late crest/single chimney castle!

http://www.hattons.co.uk/337753/Hornby_R3619_Class_4073_Castle_4_6_0_5013_Abergavenny_Castle_in_BR_green_with_late_crest/StockDetail.aspx