Fun shunting layout? 4'x1' plank

RichardEyre

If you really fancy tying your brain in knots - this is almost as small as you can go - drawn for US HO with a 44-tonner and 40' cars, it will work with a small UK loco and wagons - adjust siding lengths to suit - turnouts are Peco Setrack. It is called "Microbe" and if anyone wants the runable XTrkCad version with stock send me your email address. The goods platform is one of the open sided Peco ones with a roof

post-6688-0-96252900-1345221099_thumb.jpg

Sorry to wander off topic a bit, but has anyone found an imaginitive way to incorporate some sort of passenger facilities into a layout a little bigger than this? I'm trying to come up with something that I can run all, or at least most, of my EM stock on, and it includes passenger stock. I've got a board 5ft x 1ft 6in that I could use as it is, or cut down, so would have room for something similar to this design, with maybe another line running along the back, but a loco and two bogie coaches would be half the length of the layout!

I've got a mix of early 1900s and 1930s/40s GWR, a B Set, two Hornby clerestories, two auto-trailers and a Lima diesel railcar, so a one coach train, or some sort of carriage shed/sidings might be an option I suppose. It could be on a higher level, so sidings could disappear under it to save having to build lots of factories and warehouses.

I am about to do exactly what you suggest, I have a 4x2 board and am going to build a low level freight yard with high level line representaing part of a major station, the idea being that a mainline loc and 2 carriages will arrive on scene, the loco pull forward and run round back off scene, then after some time the carriages will then also be pulled off scene. The inspiartion was this:

http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/File:Avon_Street14.jpg

Sorry to wander off topic a bit, but has anyone found an imaginitive way to incorporate some sort of passenger facilities into a layout a little bigger than this? I'm trying to come up with something that I can run all, or at least most, of my EM stock on, and it includes passenger stock. I've got a board 5ft x 1ft 6in that I could use as it is, or cut down, so would have room for something similar to this design, with maybe another line running along the back, but a loco and two bogie coaches would be half the length of the layout!

I've got a mix of early 1900s and 1930s/40s GWR, a B Set, two Hornby clerestories, two auto-trailers and a Lima diesel railcar, so a one coach train, or some sort of carriage shed/sidings might be an option I suppose. It could be on a higher level, so sidings could disappear under it to save having to build lots of factories and warehouses.

If you have the length for a separate fiddle yard then 5x 18" is enough for any number of interesting branch line terminus designs and it ought to be possible to have a run round long enough for the B set and at least a five wagon goods train. Examples that immediately come to mind are Martin Brent's Arcadia in EM (5'2" long but that includes a level crossing before the throat) and Martin Goodall's P4 Crichel Down in just four feet by one foot plus a two foot long fiddle yard. (with a two foot long fiddle yard on a single 6' x 1' baseboard) Both of these layouts had a passenger station and two goods sidings.

If though you need to confine the whole layout to the one board then, though it might be a bit of a squeeze in EM, you might think about the classic "Piano Line" plan originally developed by P.H. Heath though with at least one extra siding to make it more operationally interesting.

This is the Piano Line based plan I drew up for Tim Hills for his "La Planche Deux" a table top layout designed originally to be used on our society stand.

post-6882-0-05282400-1345301068_thumb.jpg

and this, with a change to the front quayside siding is how it appeared on the SNCF Society stand at Ally Pally this year

post-6882-0-45576500-1345298068_thumb.jpg

and a bit more developed at the Ely show about three months ago

post-6882-0-79840000-1345299027_thumb.jpg

For a Piano Line the critical dimension is that the distance from the buffer end to the toe of the point leading to the outside world defines the maximum length of train that can be handled. That train length must also fit "offstage" in the fiddle siding but you can cheat by using a cassette that sticks out a bit. You need to be able to shunt it so at least one end of the run round loop needs to be long enough for the loco used for shunting and one or two wagons. La Planche Deux will handle a three wagon train but that's with European wagons that are longer than most from the British steam era.

If you have the length for a separate fiddle yard then 5x 18" is enough for any number of interesting branch line terminus designs and it ought to be possible to have a run round long enough for the B set and at least a five wagon goods train.

I was asking in this topic because I quite like the design, but would want to add a bit where my passenger stock could put in an appearance, rather than creating something totally different. Totally different is an option though!

I am about to do exactly what you suggest, I have a 4x2 board and am going to build a low level freight yard with high level line representaing part of a major station, the idea being that a mainline loc and 2 carriages will arrive on scene, the loco pull forward and run round back off scene, then after some time the carriages will then also be pulled off scene. The inspiartion was this:

http://bristol-rail....on_Street14.jpg

Go back around 3 years (I think) in Railway Modeller and look for a layout called "Glasgow Emerald " by Andrew Knights, who is part of , if not chairman iof the Wealden Railway Group,. It is exactly what you describe

http://www.british-h...gow-emerald.htm & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_3jEW5Fmo

starts at 3:01

A little more info and a trackplan on this page http://wealden.weebly.com/glasgow-emerald.html

I was asking in this topic because I quite like the design, but would want to add a bit where my passenger stock could put in an appearance, rather than creating something totally different. Totally different is an option though!

OK I misunderstood you. Richard's is a neat design and and if you make the warehouse siding into the "main line" fiddle yard then it effectively becomes a Piano. With five feet to play with and a bit more width you've then got the option to lengthen the run round loop and other sidings accordingly. In that length I thought it would be nigh on impossible to get sensible passenger operation in a conventional arrangement where the fiddle yard comes off the throat but I've just been looking at a layout called Weston Road that Julian Andrews built a few years ago that was 38 ins long and 8 to 12 inches wide with a separate sector plate fiddle yard 20 x 8 inches. It was featured in Scale Model Trains in 1994 and represented a light railway "twig" off the WC&PRy with a goods siding and a quarry siding to provide a mixture of goods traffic and all the rolling stock correct for the railway. On that layout the run round could take a four wheel coach and two wagons for a mixed train or a four wagon goods train.

Julian used small radius electrofrogs so I guess for EM the length of the pointwork would be a few inches longer but not t.he fiddle yard.

I go away for a day and suddenly we're taking about 5' long with passenger facilities. :dontknow:

But seriously, I've taken the plunge and cut some wood to make the baseboads. I'll start a layout topic for the build, but for now, here's the next iteration:

post-10563-0-87813900-1345321643_thumb.jpg

The warehouse has been extended to make it appear a much larger building. It should also help disguise the board crossing on the backscene. The top line still runs into the warehouse, I've just altered the line of the backscene line to go round it.

The same has been done with the biscuit factory (previously parcels). I've extended the fiddle yard into the buildings to give the maximum space for storage. I'm going to put a ceiling on the fiddle yard so the scenery continues over the top of it.

Next thing to figure, location and a name. Any thoughts?

The trouble with designs like this is that you can endlessly tweak & adjust :)

What if the fiddleyard was made an inch or two narrower and the biscuit factory siding extended along the front of the fiddleyard? It'll reduce some of the 'short siding' challenge, but on the flipside give you somewhere to get stuff out of the way. Horses for courses...

I do like the plan 'as is' however.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived