Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

I thought I would start up a thread all about the SVR. A place where we can post pictures have general discussions about visits and talk about the ins and outs.

So first up 5029 Nunney Castle owning group are in advanced stage of negotiations in having the loco based at the railway between main line commitments.

1501 has had a fire lit in the fire box and has been repainted in BR lined Black and it looks stunning.

Im visiting the line on Sunday so I will post a few pics up. Hopefully Sir Keith Park will be running.

• RMweb Gold

A nice thread Steve.I'm glad 1501is back and timely after my photo posted here of her before presevation !

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/41686-1501-at-coventry-colliery-1967/

It would be superb to run behind 5029 on a santa express later in the year.Heres hoping.

• Like 1

5029 is to be fitted with mechanical lubrication during this mini over haul. The unit coming from 7027 Thornbury Castle is currently being overhauled at LNWR Crewe. I personally think this is a good move and was only thinking of starting a thread on this subject a few weeks ago and she is also going in to BR green with the Early Crest.

I will post some pics up of my Dads current O gauge project soon.

• RMweb Premium

2857 - is now running again after problems with a valve at the end of last week

1501 is now waiting for running in trials -she has passed her steam tests- and as already said looks superb

5164 has had a fire in it and is now just about due for testing - its wheels had to be turned which has put it out of traffic for a couple of weeks

4566 is running

34053 - is still on test at the moment, hopefully she will be released to traffic soon

43106 is currently running

42968 - Has had a fire in her yesterday, which hopefully means the new springs which have been on order for about 8 weeks have arrived

7812 is currently running

3650 - from Didcot is having her stay extened until early September

Incidently 7714 is now in Bridgnorth and cleaning has begun prior to her being stripped as the spare pannier bolier now has all the parts on hand so work can recommence on that.

I should also say to enjoy 2968 as she is due to finish at the end of this year (10 years goes so quickly)

hope that helps

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Haven't been for a couple of months, must do something about that pronto!

I haven't been in nearly 20 years, sadly! When we were regular visitors to Church Stretton, I would usually find time over the weekend to get back to Bridgnorth. Always rated the SVR as among the best of the preserved lines I'd been to - there are quite a number I haven't, though - and its atmosphere was just right. Being able to run big power and long trains over a decent distance helped, as did the extension into Kidder. The tunnel, the viaduct and bridges, not found on every line. Then there were the details, like elderly luggage displays - and the smutty calendar in the '80s, to the amazement of office colleagues! A fine railway, without a doubt.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Was it 5164 which managed to get a flat on one set of drivers only? Quite a feat, that!

Yes, it is now beleived it was due to a flaw in the tyre that did not show up with the normal tests run. She is a cracking engine.

For those who have not been for some time Biridgnorth station is in the process of being improved by the replacement of the cast concrete lamps with replicas of those which adorned the building (certainly up till 1951- when I have three negs of a railcar special at the station )

There is also a share issue coming, which if sucessful should see the temporary buffet replaced by facilities that the railway should and wants to provide to visitors.

2857 - is now running again after problems with a valve at the end of last week

1501 is now waiting for running in trials -she has passed her steam tests- and as already said looks superb

5164 has had a fire in it and is now just about due for testing - its wheels had to be turned which has put it out of traffic for a couple of weeks

4566 is running

34053 - is still on test at the moment, hopefully she will be released to traffic soon

43106 is currently running

42968 - Has had a fire in her yesterday, which hopefully means the new springs which have been on order for about 8 weeks have arrived

7812 is currently running

3650 - from Didcot is having her stay extened until early September

Incidently 7714 is now in Bridgnorth and cleaning has begun prior to her being stripped as the spare pannier bolier now has all the parts on hand so work can recommence on that.

I should also say to enjoy 2968 as she is due to finish at the end of this year (10 years goes so quickly)

hope that helps

Duncan

Great reply, I didnt realise 7714 was being turned around so quickly. Great news although I do feel the panniers are some times over loaded on the line. mind you with all the big engine power available soon that shouldnt be a problem.

• RMweb Premium

7714 has not yet been started to be taken to bits, which I understand will start once 1501 is released to traffic. The work has been slightly thrown by additional work the shed staff have had to do on other locos which had unexpected problems.

We are all keeping our fingers crossed that 77 is back in traffic soon-the panniers are restricted to 270 tons which they can happily do most of the time. only 4566, 47383 and 6443 are restricted to 200 tons.

• Like 1

Apologies for the slide show in the flickr link, sometimes it does that, sometimes it doesn't...!

I always come away from the SVR with a smile on my face, even in bad weather you can grab some decent photos, and of course soak up the geenral railway atmosphere of the place.

• Like 1

post-5983-0-02972900-1345407117_thumb.jpg

post-5983-0-01565400-1345407158_thumb.jpg

Locos of the day included 3650 4566 43106 & 7812.

1501 was on Bridgnorth engine shed with a fire in. I got my first look at Sir Keith Park, apparently she is having some slight issues with the mechanical lubricators but shouldnt be to long.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
Biridgnorth station is in the process of being improved by the replacement of the cast concrete lamps with replicas of those which adorned the building (certainly up till 1951- when I have three negs of a railcar special at the station).

That's a shame - I rather liked those concrete lamp posts!

Regards

Dan

• RMweb Premium

That's a shame - I rather liked those concrete lamp posts!

Regards

Dan

I'm affraid that concrete cancer had just about done in for them, so they were going to have to be replaced anyway

1501 has now been out of the yard to be weighed - the furthest its gone (so far) and 2857 has had its left hand valve replaced and is back in traffic

• Like 1

In August last year I had a chance to ride the inspection coach, with a nice strawberry and cream tea laid on.

Now that's what train travel should always be like!

Now that looks nice, Ive done the diner and would love to try this one.

Called into Bridgnorth this afternoon to be greeted by the sight of Erlestoke Manor fresh from boiler washout and adorned with a gold smokebox and chimney! Word has it that it is to run this weekend wearing Bradley Manor plates in tribute to our national cycling hero Bradley Wiggins. Now you don't see that everyday.

Sir Keith Park was also running 'top and tail' with 2857 and looked and sounded the business.

Regards,

Andy.

post-7049-0-80095300-1345740033.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

34053 Sir Keith Park will make its first solo passenger run since withdrawl by BR tomorrow on the 11.10am and 2.55 departures from Bridgnorth tomorrow.

It will then be on Sundays 11.10 and 2.55pm departures and will then work all of next week on the same train through next week.

• Like 1