Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

A bit of a damp and drizzly day on .'The Valley' today.......but a bit of brightness in the form of D821 Warship 'Greyhound'......which was employed in a shunting operation at Arley today.....

post-20610-0-81028200-1541365409_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Ni

A bit of a damp and drizzly day on .'The Valley' today.......but a bit of brightness in the form of D821 Warship 'Greyhound'......which was employed in a shunting operation at Arley today.....

attachicon.gif103_1141_edited.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

Nice one Bob!

The Santa Shunt no doubt?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Ni

Nice one Bob!

The Santa Shunt no doubt?

Phil

Hi.....

Just a bit of repositioning housekeeping between No.1 to No.2 sidings...

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to a day on the SVR tomorrow. Only my third visit this year having been there on 20th February and 14th April so far. I normally like to have five or six visits during the year so not done very well this year!

• 4 weeks later...

Shouldn't he be in the siphon handing out presents to the children. ;)

As we all know and shown here, Santa is a very personable chap, he always welcomes the kiddies on the first arriving down train of the day into the loop with a.wave as it pulls into the station,,,,,,,.(2857..is.in the main and is the 'empty stock' from Bridgnorth)....he then gives the kids time to alight, walk around over the road bridge into the grotto while he goes and sits down to await their arrival....

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.....

For the first time since I believe 1994 and after around some £750,000.......75069 is back....out on loaded test runs...requiring final painting and numbering.....not long to wait now before we can take a ride behind her.....!

post-20610-0-13744100-1545341537_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-35634200-1545341946_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 12

Great to see the Std 4 back.

Thanks for the santa special pics, though must admit I'd be quite disappointed as a child if I found a smoke box to smoke box double header! Couldn't they at least be bunker to bunker?

Hi....

The reason for the smokebox to smokebox running of 1501 / 7714 double header was purely operational and for ease of coaling up each loco......both used as a substitute for 7802 which wasn't available for the first two Santa weekends, but 'Bradley'  was in use last weekend and hopefully will be for next Sat / Sun too....

Regards always.

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas Guys and a Happy 2019.....

Regards always....

Bob

Beautiful scenes of the SVR accompanied by Greg Lake and Prokofiev - a great combination that gives me goosebumps!

Merry Christmas to you and all at the SVR.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Premium

Great to see the Std 4 back.

Thanks for the santa special pics, though must admit I'd be quite disappointed as a child if I found a smoke box to smoke box double header! Couldn't they at least be bunker to bunker?

The children we saw on the 4th were certainly not disappointing, as Bob said it was for coaling as to split to take coal would have added in delays. Once on the train it made no difference one of our trips from Arley to Kidder was recorded for use in a DVD from the tank in front of my cab window. I'd forgotten how much more stable a 15 is to a standard pannier as we watched it bouncing up and down on its springs. 

As for 69. she is a beast and great to have back again. Hopefully by Spring Gala we will have a new engine and new restaurant and car park. 

• RMweb Premium

By way of a reminder the next Kidderminster Photo fair takes place on Saturday 5 January 

Saturday 5th January 

Railway Photograph Fair
We started holding photograph fairs as part of a bigger event with old postcards some twenty years ago.  The photographs were to supplement our postcards, but it was not long before the role was reversed and we found that the photograph element of the fairs warranted a separate event of its own.  So we launched our railway photograph fairs and have never looked back.  They have grown into probably one of the biggest events of its type in the country.

The format is that we fill the upstairs room at the museum with tables and dealers come from far and wide with their photograph stocks for you to browse through and hopefully pick up some images you have not seen, or not got in your collection, or even to illustrate an article or a book that you are preparing (subject to copyright of course).  In addition to the dealers, the museum has its own computers open to show you the database of photographs we hold (currently about 230,000 black and white images and 40,000 colour images), and you can order copies if you want them.  All in all there must be a good million plus images in the room, so you will need time to browse.  The range of material is enormous both in geographical location, subjects and dates of photographs, so you stand a very good chance you will be able to add to your collection.

The dealers who are booked in to the fair on 5th January include Mike Cremin, Roger Carpenter, Rod Blencowe, Jeremy Sutor, Mike Bentley, Mike Thorp, Duncan Chandler and Friends of Hampton Loade station.  If you have never been here before, then it is well worth the visit, and between browsing, there are the tea rooms downstairs to refresh the appetite!

The doors open at 10.00am and admission is free.  The fair closes at 4.30pm.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys.......

Hope your Christmas Day and Boxing Day have gone well.....?

For those of you not local enough to be aware of the current developments at Bridgnorth, thought you may be interested in these images taken today of the new build facilities, some open with some still being fitted out......

All the best my friends.....for 2019  and beyond.....

Regards always.....

Bob

Drove up the recently surfaced access road that leads off Station Lane onto the vastly improved overflow car park which opened today.....I think I may have been the first vehicle onto it......?

attachicon.gif104_0738.JPG

..........the new exit routing is also open and leads through the (spooky) tunnel beneath that station / tracks down onto Oldbury Road.....(this was too dark on my return for photos for you, so this one taken this morning prior to opening).....

attachicon.gif104_0752.JPG

.........great views are opening up across the station and town.......

attachicon.gif104_0737.JPG

......this lady is looking good too....!

attachicon.gif104_0745.JPG

........some views here of the new build......the loos are open and a vast improvement.......

attachicon.gif104_0747.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0748.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0753.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0746.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0756.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0757.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0759.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0758.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0765.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0766.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0777.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0779.JPG

.....a 'through the window' view of the (as yet unopened) new buffet seating area......

attachicon.gif104_0762.JPG

attachicon.gif104_0763.JPG

Cheers Bob

Nice and very much in character, but I wonder why it was decided to use blue bricks; as far as I can recall GW buildings of this type were predominantly of red brick.

• RMweb Premium

Nice and very much in character, but I wonder why it was decided to use blue bricks; as far as I can recall GW buildings of this type were predominantly of red brick.

It was based on the deliberations of the Heritage Committee and after over 2 years we are just glad this building is just about finished.

• Like 1

It was based on the deliberations of the Heritage Committee and after over 2 years we are just glad this building is just about finished.

Happy New Year my fellow SVR friend.......let's hope its a good one for one and all....

Regards

Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's great to see the investment in new visitor facilities at Bridgnorth, as well as 75069 back in steam.

Did the 20+ years in open storage add much to the 750k repair bill?

Dava

• RMweb Premium

It's great to see the investment in new visitor facilities at Bridgnorth, as well as 75069 back in steam.

Dava

Storing anything in the open air does nothing to help restoration which is where the Engine House and carriage shed help so much, ideally we need a wagon shed to protect it too. 75069 needed a new boiler barrel and a good deal of the firebox. I am so looking forwards to enjoying days on its footplate again.

Dava

Hi.....

'75069' will be a superb loco and so suited for the SVR operation, 'she' certainly sounded good on the couple of occasions I was fortunate to be at Arley when passing through.....with understandably one or two 'tweaks' required as one would expect to rectify, but I think the consensus of opinion is that she'll be right....!

Cannot say how much was 'new fabrication' as I don't have access to that data....

Be great to see her out on passenger services next running season....

Cheers 

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure 75069 will be a great asset and would be very welcome to visit the GCR for a future gala event to rub buffers with the fleet of BR standards there [but no standard 4MT]. 70013 is running out the final days of its boiler certificate but was in fine form today.

• RMweb Premium

I was there yesterday and it looked superb irrespective of the colour of the bricks.

• Like 1