The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Dave (and others) I trust you enjoy the thread and the story so far; I have developed Hintock for operating and, I shall deal with that more fully later, the foundations, of course, lie in the scenario I have created.

The basic trains run can be glimpsed in post#39 and I find that operating just one or two (I don't have all that time to 'play' more) afford me a great deal of pleasure. The beauty of the layout also is I can pick up or leave off when I please and start again where I left off as no staging and the like is required.

Here are some more scenic images:-

post-3088-0-20599500-1348157442_thumb.jpg

To the left Dunlop & Heywood occupy the old GWR stables, next is Railway Terrace and then Hooper & Wollen, Corn Factors & Hay Merchants (successors to Henchard & Farfrae) whose yard is always busy. For Peter, there is another view of the horse and cart.

post-3088-0-70067300-1348157787_thumb.jpg

Some detail.

post-3088-0-14367700-1348157857_thumb.jpg

A friendly wave from driver Augusten Elliott to the photographer as he brings in an evening train from Weymouth and as Sheepcroft Yard is bathed in the glow of the setting sun.

This image I really like, it is so evocative of times of when a boy in Dorset watching such occurrences.

post-3088-0-22712900-1348546080_thumb.jpg

A Prairie drifts into Hintock with the afternoon mixed train from the Junction of a single coach, parcels and empty milk tanks. On arrival it will shunt the empty milk tanks to Hintock Dairies private siding and depart with the full ones destined for London and tomorrow's door step deliveries.

post-3088-0-64033200-1348546179_thumb.jpg

I like the way you describe your layout it brings it all to life and makes everything believable ,have you thaught of becoming a writer? The layout looks great and the buildings compliment the rolling stock providing a reason to run the trains ,I think that having a reason to run a service adds to the fun ,keep up the good work.

Don, yes it is that extension and the enlarged FY that have added whole new dimensions to the layout. I'm very satisfied with it.

I have written an article on those aspects as I saw them then, and they have developed since, and I believe it will be published in RM shortly as a follow up to the original one.

'ims' (?), kind remarks; I'm glad you like the descriptive words for in my imagination Hintock is real in time and place. Without that a layout, I consider, has no reason for being.

post-3088-0-93316300-1348866674_thumb.jpg

It's instructive to compare this image with first in post #62 and previous ones for it is the same corner.

That was in Phase 1 but the opportunity to enhance it came with Phase 2 and the addition of Sheepcroft Yard. What enabled that were the two curved Peco points I used that increased the radius of the curve from 18" to 22" and off which entry the yard could readily be sprung along with other improvements as seen here below.

A look at the current track plan (above) and that in the May 2011 RM (for those who have it) will show this

post-3088-0-92575300-1348867296_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-12284700-1348867346_thumb.jpg

A little more of the same. And in the next one as the Prairie runs in under light steam it appears she is leaning into the curve; a realistic effect but it is an illusion.

post-3088-0-22855800-1348867407_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-69025800-1349024954_thumb.jpg

The pick-up goods from Dorchester runs in for outward wagons and deliver those in the train.

post-3088-0-67001500-1349025075_thumb.jpg

Two of the wagons are an empty mineral for Hintock Quarries (re-lettered Bachmann) and on the flat (also re-letterd) a new cart ordered through Giles Comben.

post-3088-0-97209000-1349025358_thumb.jpg

In course of shunting the HFTS's siding these wagons got left across the access way but that will be dealt with by the approaching 57XX.

post-3088-0-02275700-1349025516_thumb.jpg

In Post#59 I referred to the Hintock Quarry Co's wagons, These are used for broken stone, waste and spoil used for fill, consequently they get hard wear.

There are two, both Bachmann but re-painted with car spray, re-lettered with Microscale and other American decals (not meant to be read close up) and weathered.with acrylic and water colour paints.

post-3088-0-07657200-1349367841_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-69545300-1349367905_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-22666400-1349367990_thumb.jpg

All my stock is weathered and here are two Dapol wagons similarly treated.

post-3088-0-62801600-1349368120_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-81135400-1349368170_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-50355300-1349368242_thumb.jpg

Hi John

Nice work there and helps to get that realistic feel to the layout. It's something I have never done before so when I get to adding stock I will have to face up to it, at least RMweb is the place to see good examples for me to work to. I just feel that after painting, lining or lettering something it's a shame to 'mess' it up especially if it has been painted well.

All the best

Jim

Just adding to the (deservedly long) list of compliments about your layout - it is very nice!

I'm now very curious about the Providence River Branch. Do you have any details you can post on it?

Best wishes

David C

post-4159-0-73606900-1337203907_thumb.jpg

Jim, I agree it might seem a pity to 'muck up' a nicely finished item of stock but it's all a question of degree. And carefully done it does enhance a model. It changes something out of a manufacturers box to a representation of a railway's working piece of rolling stock.

DaveC, quite understand and from the photo I'm interested in the layout shown-very nice. So please can you put up the link. The photo could be deleted I assume.

The PRB is American HO and would require another thread and running one at the moment is enough for me to handle. It will appear in due course, but if you have access to Kalmbach's Model Railroad Planning the 2009 issue has a feature concerning it as did the June 2011 CM.

post-3088-0-33492400-1349560795_thumb.jpg

The merits of Hintock's Crown Prince Brewery ales are well known in Dorset, and the neighbouring counties of Hampshire, Somerset and Devon as well as further afield. Their distribution is largely by rail using the GWR and SR connections and the Hintock Branch is busy with the traffic.

All scratch-built.

post-3088-0-25704200-1349561061_thumb.jpg

Owen,

Correct, I do use Kadees but they are not magnetically operated as I find they only operate satisfactorily in straight track and are often not where required.

So I use a shunting pole and thus I can couple/uncouple wherever I please. It gives me a lot more freedom in operating.

I do use Kadees and magnets for coupling/uncoupling on my American HO layout, the PRB, and find them there quite acceptable. American locos and stock too have more heft than UK and I think that has something to do with it. Most times I get totally hands off switching and that is most pleasurable.

Glad you have enjoyed Hintock.

Regards,

Owen,

Here is an image of my shunting pole (the idea courtesy of Tony Koester, editor of MRP) it's made up of a tapestry needle force fitted into one end of a length of brass tube and a push pin in the other end.

It's very useful for uncoupling as most coupling is accomplished automatically. It works well for me.

More simple versions are from sharpened wooden meat skewers, but I have no experience with that type.

I see I now apparently have to add the image separately.

Hi John:

I've realised I'm much more of a computer dinosaur than I thought, so have given up trying to add a link to my layout site. If you really want to have a look at it, enter "Woodstowe" in "Search" in Layout Topics. The layout was also featured in the May RM.

Best wishes (and apologies!)

David C

Just read the article in Novembers Railway Modeller. Really interesting and some great pictures. I don't know how easy it is to get hold of UK stock in the US but the standard of modelling is superb. I look forward to reading more on this thread.

Andy, as I mentioned earlier I'll have to wait to see the article in print but I'm glad you enjoyed it. A pleasure in store for me.

I wrote it some little time ago and cannot now exactly recall what it contained.

No, it isn't difficult to get UK themed locos and stock. I get them from that well known establishment in Liverpool that I first patronized when working there in the 1950's. The only difficulty is one has to buy sight unseen and that can be a problem. However Hatton's are always obliging.

There are shops both here and in Canada but they only have limited stocks and the prices are not always competitive. And again there is the same difficulty in not seeing or examining what one is purchasing.

My nearest American HO hobby shop is over a 160 miles drive. Needless to say I don't get there often and rarely in winter snows as it's the other side of a mountain range.

Archived