The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

I'm so very sorry to hear of John's sudden passing. I've been closely following the progress of the Hintock Branch for some time now and have always found it both charming and inspiring. I will really miss it.

My deepest sympathy to his family and friends. 

• RMweb Premium

What a great loss to the hobby and this site.  A quiet and a true gentleman, and outstanding modeller.  My sincere condolences to John's family at this difficult time.

John and I had spoken on and off-board of his various topics though we never met.  We developed a very great respect for each other's skills and I know John was also aware of my knowledge of and fondness for his themed area on the Dorset / Devon borders.  We exchanged notes on occasions and he was particularly taken with my description of standing atop Whiteway Hill, gazing into the haze across the lower land towards the sea, listening to the bird song and in my mind hearing the whistle of the Hintock branch train as it trundled its leisurely, but unseen, way somewhere through the valleys far below.

R.I.P. John.  You will be missed.  Very much indeed.  Long may that train keep running in our minds and in your memory.

• RMweb Premium

What a great loss to the hobby and this site.  A quiet and a true gentleman, and outstanding modeller.  My sincere condolences to John's family at this difficult time.

John and I had spoken on and off-board of his various topics though we never met.  We developed a very great respect for each other's skills and I know John was also aware of my knowledge of and fondness for his themed area on the Dorset / Devon borders.  We exchanged notes on occasions and he was particularly taken with my description of standing atop Whiteway Hill, gazing into the haze across the lower land towards the sea, listening to the bird song and in my mind hearing the whistle of the Hintock branch train as it trundled its leisurely, but unseen, way somewhere through the valleys far below.

R.I.P. John.  You will be missed.  Very much indeed.  Long may that train keep running in our minds and in your memory.

Very sad news and my condolences to John's family.

I never knew John other than through RMweb, although I found his Poppy Hollow layout inspirational more than 50 years ago.

The only positive aspect that I can draw from this is that John was active to the very end, indeed with many plans for future work. Far better to leave in such a way than a slow decline, unable to do more of what he had aimed for.

• RMweb Gold

Very sad news.

John produced models which provided inspiration to others and evidenced his skill and understanding of his subject. He took the trouble to offer advice and comment to myself which was typical of his support to others.

My condolences to the family.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Very sad news.

John produced models which provided inspiration to others and evidenced his skill and understanding of his subject. He took the trouble to offer advice and comment to myself which was typical of his support to others.

My condolences to the family.

Rob.

Hear Hear  and wasn't shy of giving constructive criticism too. A highly respected modeller.

A terrible loss to the modelling community as a whole and to me personally. I met John when he was exhibited Owlcombe more years ago than I care to remember and encouraged and inspired me to continue to remain in this wonderful hobby.

May I join with the rest of the RMweb in offering my sincere condolences to his family at this sad time.

Alan Cessford   

Outer Hebrides

• RMweb Premium

A massive loss of a real gentleman of this forum.

The first GW layout I found on RMWEB and I read it non stop from Page 1 and loved all of it, even tho it's not my usual "urban late GWR mainline" tastes.

Condolences to family and  friends, both on line and in 3d.

I will be immensely pleased if my buildings and track-work ever end up half as good as John's.

This thread popped up in my feed (obviously new replies due to John's passing) and I started at Page 1 of what looked like a terrific modelling blog and a wealth of inspiration. Somewhat heartbroken to learn of his passing, but at the same time thankful that the outpouring of support bumped this thread into my notice. He continues to be an inspiration and won't soon be forgotten. Rest in peace.

I saw John as a kind, thoughtful and courteous man, if his RMweb contributions  are any guide. We began to exchange ideas and images a few years ago now, on an old and now defunct magazine, namely Model Trains International, where we had both contributed layout articles for Chris Ellis. He was always a pleasure to deal with. His love of his hobby was endless and many on the RMweb were captivated by his fresh and positive approach to model railways. In fact his approach to building model layouts was not dissimilar to an impressionist painter, who cared passionately about composition and color. Some of his work has inspired many of us to be more thoughtful about such matters. In very old-fashioned terms, he was a scholar and a gentleman.

• 2 weeks later...

There was so much to learn from John and his railroads, even for American modelers. He made the past come alive, and wondrously so. 
So many times I nearly sent him a message to thank him for all the inspiration he had given us. But I never did, much to my regret.
So thank you, John. Rest easy.

Hi everybody,

I must agree with you DStilw801 that John was the exception rather than the average modeller and I worry about what will happen to the Hintock saga in the future as I think so much

information can be extracted from studying the photos and reading the posts and it would be a shame if it was lost because of John'sad passing

Alan [The Hebridean]   

Cessfordalan, much of his work was posted here on RMweb, so we should have access to it for a long time. His website is another matter.

As good a modeler as he was, he was an equally good teacher. Nothing overly fancy, but his work was solid and reasoned. He will certainly be missed.

Cessfordalan, much of his work was posted here on RMweb, so we should have access to it for a long time. His website is another matter.

As good a modeler as he was, he was an equally good teacher. Nothing overly fancy, but his work was solid and reasoned. He will certainly be missed.

Good afternoon DStillw801 As a computer beginner I am not sure how to find old or archive articles hence the worry.

Cessfordalan, this is the 92nd page in this thread (it is highlighted in green). Click on the double arrow at the bottom of the page next to the PREV button. I will take you back to the first page. You can spend many hours enjoying John's photos and comments, plus those of his fans and acquaintances. Many of them are superb modelers in their own right. It is quite a legacy.

Cessfordalan, this is the 92nd page in this thread (it is highlighted in green). Click on the double arrow at the bottom of the page next to the PREV button. I will take you back to the first page. You can spend many hours enjoying John's photos and comments, plus those of his fans and acquaintances. Many of them are superb modelers in their own right. It is quite a legacy.

Many thanks for the information, now all I have to do is escape  from SWHTBO  Regards Alan

Archived