LBSCR IoW carriage drawings search

Hi all, the title is fairly self explanatary! I'm looking to build some LBSCR, examples of ones that ran on the Isle of Wight, the ones below preferably

http://www.semgonlin...ach/iow_01.html

specifically the 5th and 7th ones in the list, so a brake third and a a pair of full 3rds.

Can anyone tell me whwere i can find drawings, preferably without going to the NRM or any archives!

There are a few books on LBSCR coaching stock, even one specifically on IoW stock, but has anyone got any of these so i can make an informed purchase! Ideally i need good quality 4mm or larger drawings, preferably with end views and good pictures

A list of books is here, http://www.lbscr.org/books/index.html, but with several books to check, any help would be much appreciated!

So, if anyone has Carriage Stock of the LB&SCR, Bogie carriages of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway or Isle of Wight Steam Passenger Rolling Stock letting me know whats in those books would be very helpful!

Cheers all

Mark

Bogie Carriages of the LB&SCR by David Gould (Oakwood) is, like all Oakwood books, in A5 format and as such is more useful for information rather than drawings. There are a few line drawings of coach sides, but not of the diagrams for the coaches you refer to. However, the 5-compartment third brake S4168, ex SR 3870, is SR diag. 198 and IoW diag. 230; the 9-compartment third 2416, ex SR 4019, is SR diag. 90 and is a rebuild from a 6-compartment third brake. You may already have known this.

Despite the absence of the drawings you are looking for, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in LBSCR coaches. About £19 from Amazon, most bookstalls at exhibitions will have it.

Hi all, the title is fairly self explanatary! I'm looking to build some LBSCR, examples of ones that ran on the Isle of Wight, ....

Mark

Mark

Assuming that you would prefer to build kits, rather than start with a clean sheet of plasticard, you might like to check the Brighton Circle website. It is due for an update, but the list of kits is useful, even if the availability may be variable. If you go down to the 54 foot coaches, there are several shown as currently being produced by David Geen. These have been through a number of previous owners, but my recollection is that some, at least, were originally produced to satisfy the Isle of Wight market.

I don't know how exact you wish to be, but Brighton arc roofed bogie carriages were often produced by Lancing Works as a "cut and shut" of a couple of six wheelers. Therefore, while they all have a strong family resemblence, there are not too many that are identical.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Eric

hI all thanks,

10800, indeed i know the oakwood press format well, they arent hugely helpful for drawings but other content is usually superb. And its still in print, so you can get them pretty cheap if you look around, but ive rarely seen them at exhibitions.

Burgundy, i forgot to mention the scale i'm working at, 5 inch gauge, somewhere around 12th scale (1 1/16 '' to the foot) or 27mm (26.9875) scale, so kits are a luxury we are rarely afforded! I'm building a kit for the vehicles, and most my work starts from 4mm, 7mm or 1 inch to the foot scale drawings! Maybe i'll try the brighton circle for drawings, i have a friend emailing the iow railway for any extra info, but if LBSCR built their coaches reasonably logically, compartment spacing will mean i only need the brake vehcile because i can then extrapolate the compartments and the panelling arrangements, into a full third.

Right, anybody know of anything else? Anyone have the book on IoW coaching stock, again oakwood press, these are being built to run behind a some IoW 02s.

Cheers all

Mark

• but if LBSCR built their coaches reasonably logically, - If only! The coaches that were transferred to the IoW were the result of a number of phases of coach construction, both by the LBSC and the Southern. Many bogie vehicles started out as 6 wheelers, which were split, spliced and shuffled to fit on new 54 foot underframes, others were built new to this length, and yet more were originally 48 footers, and put on new underframes by the Southern. The Mayock and Reed book you referred to gives further details of the various permutations, although there are no drawings. Since there are some of these coaches preserved on the Isle of Wight Steam railway, they may be a very good guide.
  • Gerry Bixley produced some drawings of these coaches, (I think these became the MRC drawings) partly in conjunction with the production of the original Alan Gibson kits, and I believe he works in a larger scale than 4mm, before reducing them for publication. I haven't got his contact details, but you may be able to get in touch via the moderator of the Brighton Circle website.

Ha well this is proving to be an interesting foray! Set out to build just two varieties of ostensibly similar vehicles and you need an entire history of coach building at Brighton and Lancing hehe!

But anyway, the object is to build two designs of coaches, one brake coach, and one composite (probably one of the ones converted from 6 compt brakes) as they were in service on the Isle of Wight,

http://www.cs.vintag...nfo.asp?Ref=283

so if we say this brake and either

http://www.cs.vintag...nfo.asp?Ref=287

This converted brake 6 to full 3rd p comp

or

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=526

This original condition compartment composite

whats the deal on drawings for these. It may sound a bit dismissive, but with the potential rats nest of drawings and diagrams, as long as i get drawings for vehicles that ran on the IoW, its all i need. If it means botching together a coach from dsrawings of the coaches they were converted from, i might have to go with that. I'm sure some of you will agree that occasionally absolute prototypical prototype fidelity has to go out the window for sake of practicality!

But anyway,

Also, is there a list of number allocations anywhere on the net? which numbers on the IoW were allocated to each type vehicle, and preferably indications as to what was converted from what, i'm not too fussed about origins from 6 wheels stock

Cheers all

Mark

The Maycock & Reed book stated previously contains all the running numbers, diagram details and background history of IOW Brighton stock (and other types).

Gerry Bixley is the man you need for the drawings, he has produced detailed drawings of all three of the carriages you have identified, he has alos done others including the IOW SECR carriages if you want should these.

Pete

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Roxey kits are fine to use for the

LBSCR bogies. You might have to kitbash a bit. The SECR comps are the hardest to make as they require a lot of cut and shut!

On the contrary, the SECR ones are easier as Bill Bedford does etched sides for both the brake and the composite - see Chris's posts on the Isle of Wight coaches thread.

Archived