Scottish Locomotives

kingfisher24

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic Jim,

They all look superb, Can I ask how you do your lettering, lining and crests?

I was resigned to Photo reducing some 4mm transfers or are there 2mm versions available?

Thanks

Angus

Fantastic Jim,

They all look superb, Can I ask how you do your lettering, lining and crests?

I was resigned to Photo reducing some 4mm transfers or are there 2mm versions available?

Thanks, Angus.

All my lettering and crests are done by hand with a fine sable brush, 000 or the like using thinned enamel paints.  Recently I've taken to using white artists acrylic for wagon lettering.  The lining on my early locos was done with a bow pen directly onto the model, but on the last 5 I've built, plus a repaint of No. 29, I've used the following method, which I've just described on the CRA forum:

1. Stick some strips of sellotape to a smooth tile so that they butt up against one another

2. paint a thick coat of gloss white enamel onto the sellotape and give it a good 24hrs+ to dry

3. with a bow pen draw a series of lines in black gloss paint or indian ink leaving a couple of mm between them and allow to dry

4. with a new No 15 scalpel blade, cut lightly either side of a black line, leaving a small edge of white

5. carefully lift the end of the strip of lining thus produced and gently peel it off the sellotape. This takes a bit of practice and some strips will break.

6. dip the strip in a 50/50 mix of varnish and thinners and then place in position on the model using a couple of cocktail sticks to align it

For curved lining, leave the strip in the varnish mix fr a little longer and it will soften sufficiently to allow you to bend it gently round with the cocktail sticks. The curves around cab and frame cut-outs etc. are a we bit too tight for this to work there, but I have got away with doing it with a few short straight bits. The lining has to be cut short of the corners and they are filled in with a fine brush.

There are no transfers available in 2mm as far as I am aware.  I'm embarrassed to say this, but the late Colin Brady showed one of my coaches to Fox Transfers at a Glagow show and asked if they could produce transfers for the crests.  The answer he got was 'Not as good as these'.   :blushclear: 

Jim

• Like 3

Lovely work Jim. Would this be the John Boyle in Lydney who normally builds 0 gauge stuff.

Don

Thanks, Don.

John lives near Cheltenham and, yes, most of his etches are produced in 7mm.  They were marketed under the 'Decent Coaches' label, but another member of the CRA has now taken over the sale of them.   The 45ft coaches in the photo of No.445 are from his artwork also.

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I thought I would upload a record shot of a couple of locos which have just come off my workbench.

post-6089-0-81865100-1434403634_thumb.jpg

Both locomotives could have been seen chimney to chimney although they would both have been in LMS livery. Both were shedded at Hurlford for a while.

The 306 class is scratch built and is part of my collection of Smellie/Manson G&SWR goods locos, only one more to build and I will have the set!

The 4F is a long term Hurlford engine and has been built as one of the engines I saw as a young train spotter. The model is based on the JLTRT kit with the addition of a Griffin inside valve gear kit. The engine still needs a bit more weathering as she is far too clean for a Hurlford engine of the 60's.

Ian.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I posted pics of this West Highland stalwart on another thread but thought these might be of interest. Loco built from LRM kit to EM standards. Great runner (by luck!) and since the photo it has been toned down a wee bit through selective weathering.

post-1879-0-81303000-1435088281_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-42272500-1435088377_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-34030100-1435088414_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my latest creation - i will post a more detailed description in due course. The main ingredients being a Bachmann 3f purchased at the perth show, a cut down and shortened gem glen/scott tender body. A scatch built cab and i replaced the square topped firebox with a brass rolled boiler/firebox.post-10572-0-09000600-1436563096_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-47654600-1436563135_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-62238100-1436563155_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-45071700-1436563199_thumb.jpg

Tonight te loco has been completed except for weathering.

• Like 11

Here is my latest creation - i will post a more detailed description in due course. The main ingredients being a Bachmann 3f purchased at the perth show, a cut down and shortened gem glen/scott tender body. A scatch built cab and i replaced the square topped firebox with a brass rolled boiler/firebox.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Tonight te loco has been completed except for weathering.

Lovely model, many thanks for posting the photos.

Regards

David

Here is the completed model of 65345 as based thornton shed in the mid 60's, im in two minds about weathering this one as latterly the loco was kept fairly clean. But anyway until i decide the loco will do as is.post-10572-0-85353700-1436637197_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-10005400-1436637251_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-75305900-1436637305_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-04539400-1436637332_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-62005000-1436637378_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-26300000-1436637400_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Here is the completed model of 65345 as based thornton shed in the mid 60's.

(But it's got a Haymarket shed plate.)

But anyway until i decide the loco will do as is.

"Will do"?... "Will do"?? That is just superb, and done so quickly.
  • Like 1

Fortunately, my tablet doesn't do smilies, or I would have to put an 'embarassed' one here - . It's got a St. Margaret's plate, not a Haymarket one. Does not change the quality of the model, though - still superb!

Here is the completed model of 65345 as based thornton shed in the mid 60's, im in two minds about weathering this one as latterly the loco was kept fairly clean. But anyway until i decide the loco will do as is.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi 

Great model and great workmanship as well, I would be really proud of producing a conversion like that for a locomotive that is not available in RTR.

Thanks again for posting the latest photos.

Regards

David

Hi 

Great model and great workmanship as well, I would be really proud of producing a conversion like that for a locomotive that is not available in RTR.

Thanks again for posting the latest photos.

Regards

David

No problem, the loco will be running along with s good few other ex nb locos at the cupar show later this month.

Gary

That looks brilliant and in a wonderful setting too but its got to be said that tender cab wont win any beauty prizes

very true about the tender cab, on the subject the tender cab isnt quite right but its as close as i could get it using just plasticard. the cut out on the rhs of the cab should be slightly different shape but itll do for me as is.

• Like 2

on another subject can anyone tell me who if anybody does numers lettering and plates etc to model 875 midlothian in original nbr livery. ive got hold of a kit for the 4-4-2 which has been stripped down and rebuilt (the kit had been put together using some sort of resin) and has been painted and lined using a mixture of transfers i have in my transfer box, ive used a mixture of gwr and lner transfers for the loco so that its in something like the correct guise but in time id like to have midlothian with the correct lining and lettering etc.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

gary

Here are some shots of my atlantic which i have been working on over the last couple of days, i have used gwr lining and lner lining and shaded lner numbers to do the loco. The reason being i cant seem to find anybody who does nbr transfers etc, any feedback would be appreciated.

post-10572-0-46575600-1437086626_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-38519100-1437086678_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Here are some shots of my atlantic which i have been working on over the last couple of days, i have used gwr lining and lner lining and shaded lner numbers to do the loco. The reason being i cant seem to find anybody who does nbr transfers etc, any feedback would be appreciated.

The model is to be a what might have been, my thoughts are that midlothian was saved instead of being cut up at the start of ww2 and is running in the 50's - 60's in the manner of glen douglas and gordon highlander etc. the loco isnt too far away just needs the wheels lining out and brakes etc. i am also going to add the extra coal rails which were fitted to the atlantics in order to increase coal capcity, there was also a link from the crosshead which drove a lubricator on the rhs of the loco, i aim to add this aswell when i feel brave enough to do so.

• Like 1

Those are seriously nice models of the J36 and Atlantic - well done.

I hadn't realised the Bachmann 3F was that close to a J36 dimension wise to make a conversion possible, certainly food for thought when considering tackling the PDK kit.