Loughborough Model Centre

amdaley

I placed an order for the Bachmann 31-425 with Loughborough Model Center. A little problem with delayed postage of the item but when it arrived it was well packed in a strong box. No complaint about the price either. Nicola sounded very pleasant on the phone when asked for information.They might need extra staff to help with getting items out quickly.

• RMweb Gold

I placed an order for the Bachmann 31-425 with Loughborough Model Center. A little problem with delayed postage of the item but when it arrived it was well packed in a strong box. No complaint about the price either. Nicola sounded very pleasant on the phone when asked for information.They might need extra staff to help with getting items out quickly.

As you say "No complaint about the price...". I think they manage to keep the prices keen... but although more staff might speed up the orders it will do nothing to help the margins... meaning less profit or higher costs for the punters. I know which I'd prefer.

As you say "No complaint about the price...". I think they manage to keep the prices keen... but although more staff might speed up the orders it will do nothing to help the margins... meaning less profit or higher costs for the punters. I know which I'd prefer.

I understand what you mean about lower prices. My nag on the postage time wouldn't bother me normally but I ordered in good time for Christmas,Nov 30th. I got an email on the 8th Dec telling me it was dispatched but later found out my order wasn't posted until the 15th.Something to do with the way it was packaged the first time which would have cost about ??40 to post ???

Having said that it was very well packaged when I got it.

They must only post once a week even though I believe the post office is next door.I suppose thats a difficulty they face trying to run Toy Fairs etc with a Mail Order Service. If they keep the prices keen I would buy from them again.

• RMweb Gold

I understand what you mean about lower prices. My nag on the postage time wouldn't bother me normally but I ordered in good time for Christmas,Nov 30th. I got an email on the 8th Dec telling me it was dispatched but later found out my order wasn't posted until the 15th.Something to do with the way it was packaged the first time which would have cost about ??40 to post ???

Having said that it was very well packaged when I got it.

They must only post once a week even though I believe the post office is next door.I suppose thats a difficulty they face trying to run Toy Fairs etc with a Mail Order Service. If they keep the prices keen I would buy from them again.

Fair point but remember didn't the industry standard use to be "please allow 28 days for delivery?" - although 2.8 days is much better :D

• 1 month later...

Due to changing scales I had a collection of "OO" scale (1:76) Die Cast Road Vehicles to sell, visited today and got a Fair Price for them , that was fair to Both Parties from the charming Lady there (Nicola). Actually it was Nicola's Birthday Today and when I asked her if she was 21 she said Yes, but, NEVER increased her offer for the goods.

Seriously a very pleasant shop that is still very friendly when the men are serving, just they don't seem as attractive to me anyway. What I like about it is there are items there that I would purchase assuming them to be new ,but in fact they are all marked up as "Secondhand".

Any Exibition Managers out there looking for a trader for their Show could do a lot worse than invite "Loughborough Model Centre" for at least you will get a smile and a thank you which appears more than some traders give.

Obviously no connection other than a satisfied customer although I will retract this if MR NICOLA comes round and smacks me one when he reads this.

Regards Derek.

Due to changing scales I had a collection of "OO" scale (1:76) Die Cast Road Vehicles to sell, visited today and got a Fair Price for them , that was fair to Both Parties from the charming Lady there (Nicola). Actually it was Nicola's Birthday Today and when I asked her if she was 21 she said Yes, but, NEVER increased her offer for the goods.

Seriously a very pleasant shop that is still very friendly when the men are serving, just they don't seem as attractive to me anyway. What I like about it is there are items there that I would purchase assuming them to be new ,but in fact they are all marked up as "Secondhand".

Any Exibition Managers out there looking for a trader for their Show could do a lot worse than invite "Loughborough Model Centre" for at least you will get a smile and a thank you which appears more than some traders give.

Obviously no connection other than a satisfied customer although I will retract this if MR NICOLA comes round and smacks me one when he reads this.

Regards Derek.

I'll be round shortly :icon_grumpy:

Regards Derek.

Loughborough Model Centre - a good shop, good prices and good service.

The delightful Nicola and Co, will be at the forthcoming NOTTINGHAM East Midlands EXHIBITION (20 - 21 March). They have increased their stand size by a third , to a massived 36ft since they first appeared last year. So there will be lots of bargains there then !

• 1 year later...

Rather disappointing.

Pre-ordered a Cravens HYE last July, and received no updates for a long time, even when other sites were advertising as in stock. Finally had notification that my credit card would be charged and that item would be sent in a few days.

Having not received it nine working days later, sent a request for tracking details, then found that my card had been charged £13 (20%) more than the pre-order price. Rang the shop and spoke to Nicola, who sounds very pleasant and helpful, but struggling to keep up with order volumes. Item had still not been dispatched, and she was explained that their pre-order terms only absorb price increases within 5% - I decided to cancel the order.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to previous.

LMC reluctantly agreed to cancel my order, stating that their pre-order terms do not guarantee to absorb price rises greater than 5%. In other words by pre-ordering you are entering a contract with potentially unlimited upside and no right to withdraw (definitely caveat emptor). This after not replying to my e-mail requesting a status update, not notifying a price increase (or even identifying price charged) when or before taking payment and nine days elapsed between taking payment and my chasing up why item had still not been dispatched.

The e-mail from Chris said a refund would be processed same day; but nearly two weeks later it still hasn't. I'm hoping a chaser e-mail will get things moving, otherwise I'll need to take up with credit card issuer.

Update to previous.

LMC reluctantly agreed to cancel my order, stating that their pre-order terms do not guarantee to absorb price rises greater than 5%. In other words by pre-ordering you are entering a contract with potentially unlimited upside and no right to withdraw (definitely caveat emptor). This after not replying to my e-mail requesting a status update, not notifying a price increase (or even identifying price charged) when or before taking payment and nine days elapsed between taking payment and my chasing up why item had still not been dispatched.

The e-mail from Chris said a refund would be processed same day; but nearly two weeks later it still hasn't. I'm hoping a chaser e-mail will get things moving, otherwise I'll need to take up with credit card issuer.

I guess you won't be going back there again. Customer service is very important,even more important given the current trading conditions.

I guess you won't be going back there again. Customer service is very important,even more important given the current trading conditions.

Sadly, not. Had they sent out the model when they took payment then I would probably have swallowed the price rise, but having now had my money for three and a half weeks with neither refund (so far) or model, then I'd be disinclined to shop there again. More so with being tempted to pre-order when their terms and conditions imply (or are interpreted) that such contracts are binding in the face of price increases - which I believe falls foul of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations.

So, it's now a month since payment was taken and my chasing e-mail of last Thursday has failed to elicit the refund originally promised on the 25th March. I'm starting the process of raising a dispute via my credit card issuer - which will involve a load of extra admin I can well do without.

So finally, a refund has been made by the shop, which is no doubt in response to pressure applied via the credit card company.

All's well that ends well? In a sense, yes, but I'm disappointed that the shop let themselves down on this occasion.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first post on here, as i a keen supporter of this small model shop, it surprises me that EddieB has posted the above messages.

i have been using loughborough model centre, since they first advertised in the Hornby mag, maybe 3 years ago, and they get all my pre order business.

i have taken around 12 models from them in this period and yes, sometimes the money for a model is taken and the model doesn't arrive for up to 14 days after, but i have never felt it necessary to complain, as i understand this is sometimes the consequence of using a smaller retailer. (28 days delivery etc etc)

The reason i post is that i too ordered a cravens from them, it arrived towards the end of march ( i think they took the money around the 15th? ), and i was also charged a higher amount than had previously been advertised.

However,

i was quite clear what i was going to be charged, even before the invoice arrived. as their policy is quite clear, and i agree (and understand) when placing the order, that should a manufacturer put their RRP prices up (which they do every year) then my pre orders will go up at a pro rata rate to the increase applied, (minus the 5% that they generously absorb).

i think the pre order price for my 105 was £67.60 and i got charged £73.01 (+8%) (plus £4.95 p and p) against the rrp prices 2010 £92.20 to 2011 £104.20, (+13%) the amount they charged me was spot on to their terms and conditions, and still also very competitive.

What is interesting to note though that i have never had an increase on the Hornby products i get from them, just Bachmann?. even if the model arrives after the january increase thresh hold. (i notice Hornby was around 25%!!)

With regards to the posting above regarding the pre order price, i am surprised that EddieB would place orders with any online retailer without checking out their terms and conditions first?, this is not necessarily with loughborough model centre, but with any online retailer.

i certainly would not place any order with any online company without clearly understanding their terms and conditions, after all you are trusting these guys with your personal wealth, and most precious card details.

it is a shame that EddieB's posting has brought a dark cloud over this small retailer that is showing rails and hattons a clean pair of heals on most of their pricing.....

i think this is a case of you get what you pay for, i am happy to take the cheaper prices and accept it might take a little longer to get here, or use hattons etc, and pay a bit more, but know i will get it in a day or two...

i cant imagine the margins for these guys it too high, and with Hornby / Bachmann taking 2 years to put models out, can the retailers really afford to accept 2 price increases to their advertised prices,

Seems to me that EddieB should have been clear with the T&C's before placing the order, and that maybe LMC are not completely at fault.

Wayne..

• RMweb Gold

As an aside I believe the Loughborough shop has now closed and efforts are being concentrated on the Derby concern... I mention this to warn punters visiting the Great Central (Diesel Gala next weekend) and might have planned a trip over.

I understand the Loughborough shop suffered a fire recently which has probably impacted on the overall business. I belive the short term plan is to operate from Derby until further notice.

They're also the business behind TTC Die-Cast who as well as taking over from EFE as sponsors of Showbus at Duxford, are distributing short run bus models in the UK. The notable one they're doing is FRM1, the rear engine Routemaster, but at circa £60, you need to be pretty keen on it!

• RMweb Gold

I understand the Loughborough shop suffered a fire recently which has probably impacted on the overall business. I belive the short term plan is to operate from Derby until further notice.

I believe it's the long term plan.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm not a frequent visitor to the Loughborough website however there is now (and probably has been for some weeks) a statement confirming that the Loughborough premises are closed until further notice and all business is being handled at Derby.

http://www.ttcdiecast.com/index.asp

I was actually comparing prices for EFE Routemasters when I came across the announcement; TTC Diecast is one of my regular haunts for that purpose.

I'm gutted for them - the owners are a lovely family who always had time for a chat in the shop on a Thursday afternoon :(

Four years of university life spent moseying around the aisles of that shop, spent a great deal of time and money in there.

Fingers crossed they can get back to normality sooner rather than later.

They're also the business behind TTC Die-Cast who as well as taking over from EFE as sponsors of Showbus at Duxford, are distributing short run bus models in the UK. The notable one they're doing is FRM1, the rear engine Routemaster, but at circa £60, you need to be pretty keen on it!

The fire was minor in scale and nobody was hurt. The operation has now shifted to Derby as previously mentioned in the old Trainlines shop, but still trading as Loughborough Model Centre.

• 6 years later...

It seems that their mail order problems of 2011 in Loughborough still exist in 2017 in Derby.

I recently ordered two items and after 10 days no dispatch notice, no goods.  So I emailed them an enquiry but no reply.  After waiting two weeks I phoned them and, along with an apology, I was promised they would be dispatched the following day 1st class - they weren't.  One week later I have finally had a dispatch notice, more than three weeks after placing the order and TTC Diecast taking my money.  I should add that their terms are 28 days and they haven't breached that.  However 28 days is the industry standard for mail order so it is still fair to compare their performance with other mail order businesses.

The owner (Chris?) explained that only he and his partner were responsible for running the business and no one else is employed.  I suggested that they should employ casual, part-time staff in such circumstances; I was told that doing so would mean raising their prices.  It may do so but the alternative of continuing the current poor level of service will surely alienate any customers they do have. As to their prices, they were OK although I could have purchased either of the items cheaper elsewhere but not both from the same outlet.

I'm afraid in 2017 this sort of service is just not acceptable

Archived