Heljan O Gauge class 40 Now in BR Blue!

brian daniels

Just in-case you have not seen it on another Heljan thread I thought I would start a separate thread for the new Heljan class 40 that was announced at Telford this weekend. No doubt there will be pictures added of the model as it appears.

The 40 will be a disc version as that's the most numerous and it will also have the small headboard clips on the nose doors as the named ones had these and you can bet your life there will be more named green ones modeled than any other. Also if you don't want them then it's easier to remove them than having to make them and add them. The front ladder will be a separate part for you to add if so desired as will the frost grills. Although you "could" have separate ends for split and centre headcodes you will also need a different boiler roof and side access panel. No doubt the split and centre headcode might follow if the fly off the shelves but having said that we are still waiting for a centre headcode 37! And before you ask,I doubt it will go round as tight a curve as their other locos!

post-6766-0-05151500-1347298873_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the news on this excellent model. Already added to my shopping list and looking forward to it sitting next to my JLTRT version which goes around my 48'' radius curves after opening out the cutout in the floor for the motor bogies. Its tight but it does work. Same for my 45.

As my JLTRT is the disc code version as well, a centre headcode version would have been my choice but I can understand the reasoning behind Heljan's choice.

I agree Richard those more modern trucks sound excellent - they'll sell loads of them - I wonder if they come unnumbered?

By the way Brian re the 'headboard clips' I notice from photos (many on your Flickr site) that a number of 40's as well as the namers had these. The majority of locos in the range 4009X->40124 seem to have them too. Atleast it gives a few more options or are there any other differences which exclude many of the Darlington built examples? Obviously a few doors used to sometimes get swapped about too at overhaul etc....

Which ones had the ladder, from when seems to be contentious - even the most detailed book on the 40 is not clear...it's not something I remember either.

I love these locos, I used to listen to the "whistle" lying in my bed at the family home.

Best, Pete.

As one of the hard working volunteers that have restored and maintain D212 I have to say its exciting news. I just wish that someone from Heljan, would have asked permission before they laser scanned D212., obviously, this must be an oversight, and the Class Forty Appeal would like to put the records straight. It would be nice if they made gesture to the cash strapped owning group, as others who have used our assets have done.

Gary Hinson

Class forty appeal

Oh, dear..............

Those Dane's! Sneaking in the night to scan D212.....typical.

So how does the computer generated picture compare?

Best, Pete.

PS Do you have a website link, please?

Creeping in at night, not far off there.

It looks good, there has always been a question asked regarding the sloping of the bonnet tops with 40 models, so it will be interesting to see how the Danes get on.

Now, I am not going to let on, but there are one or two “post preservation” additions that would have been included in the scan, lets see whether they spot them. The other company who scanned the prototype, did converse with the owners so got there assistance in getting it right.

Wonder if they will supply it with cracked bogies, we are just about to have them de-cracked at great expense. :no:

Gary

Just in-case you have not seen it on another Heljan thread I thought I would start a separate thread for the new Heljan class 40 that was announced at Telford this weekend. No doubt there will be pictures added of the model as it appears.

Brian,

All this is very encouraging. Seeing as you've given Howes/HJ some good input on their projects, could you have a word and see if the air & ETH pipes can be updated so they represent something that is accurate, rather than the current 'vaguely air pipe' that you get with the current HJ 7mm diesels please?

Cheers

Tom

Brian,

I know this is very, very early days but since you've shown us the drawings do you know for the BR Blue versions is it likely to have 2 BR arrows on the bodyside (under each cab) or just 1 BR arrow which was always under the cab at the tops number end......or maybe they will do 2 versions as per the class 31??? - here's hoping for extra sales. I believe early BR Blue engines tended to have 2 BR allows and more later overhauls produced just the 1 arrow. Any info would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

The first pre-production class 40 has arrived :locomotive:

As usual with a first sample there are a few little things to sort out but overall it's very impressive.

It will be on Heljans stand at the Warley show next weekend if you want a closer look. If you can't get there then I will put some pictures up on here after the show.

Archived