Heljan O Gauge class 40 Now in BR Blue!

brian daniels

This 40 is heavy so I should think would pull a good size train.

I had it running today at the Bourne End running day on my blue and grey MkI's and it looked and ran superb. A better test though will be round my garden layout that is a bit up and down in places!

The Western is due for release next Autumn so I think the 40 will be a fair bit after that. You have plenty of time to save up!

Their releases do seem to be about one per year so 2014 would be about right.

Was hoping the Western would be a bit earlier, about June on time for my Birthday.

31 in December in time for Christmas. They are lining up with appropriate dates for me.

I was trying to get to Bourne End yesterday - wish I'd made it now! - that is quick for the Whistler - can't wait to see it - hopefully if there are not too many issues - so it'll speed along the production line. The class 31 does seem to have taken ages to come out in the end!

Well it went like a train round the test track yesterday :yahoo: , shame you could not make it. I was a bit concerned with the gap between the body and bogie, or lack of it! It does look very nice in the bogie to body fitting department. I have just tried it round my undulating garden layout and it ran round that ok too, so I think we can tick off the running gear as ok.

Now where's that A4 sheet of paper with all the alterations on it?

Only joking, it's a B4 sheet :paint:

For us East Anglian types, the class 40 (or EE type 4 as I recall them) will be a essential part of the scene. After the Brush 2, this was the "pride" of the line though it stole that accolade from my beloved Brits. Now what can one do to persuade Heljan to replicate the class 15 in 7mm (did it sell much in 4mm?) and then a Peak and we will have it all! I am having to face the installation of a fuel point into my overcrowded loco servicing area. By the way, I heard a JLRT Class 40 fitted with the Howes sound chip the other day. It was magic!

Regards

Martin Long

Well here it is for all those that could not make Warley. The list is not that long for the corrections needed!

The ladder, discs and rad grill will be separate parts for the customer to fit if required. Unlike this one where they are all glued on :nono:

post-6766-0-39386200-1353787581.jpg

post-6766-0-73135900-1353787584.jpg

post-6766-0-43615300-1353787586.jpg

post-6766-0-06924100-1353787589.jpg

post-6766-0-80119400-1353787590.jpg

The detail is quite crisp when you get close in.

post-6766-0-43947000-1353787594_thumb.jpg

Who knows why the closed discs ended up with holes in them :jester: They are on the "to do" list!

post-6766-0-42605100-1353787596.jpg

post-6766-0-59943300-1353787598.jpg

One thing I asked for was to make the pipework on the bulkheads stand out more so I could paint it, and they have :locomotive:

post-6766-0-89642900-1353787600.jpg

This was the tightest spot on my layout and it just cruised round it. I am not saying it will go round 4' 6" curves but it surprised me.

Guest jim s-w

Does the short list of corrections include the windscreens and curve of the roof Brian? Both look a fair bit out to me.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

looks very good, now these did not run into Paddington in the early 60's did they?????

Not the early '60s AFAIK but there were reportedly one or two appearances a bit later on. They were occasionally running to Reading on freight by c.1965 but were not very popular there due to their propensity to derail in West Junction yard.

And although it is of very poor quality the pic below - of almost brand new D202 - is at an angle which makes for an interesting comparison with some of Brian's above -

post-6859-0-83871400-1353844994_thumb.jpg

Have to say that looks mightily impressive, ta for sharing the smudges Brian.... it looks 'heavy' in the same way the real machines do from all angles. I'm not really in the market for one of these but I hope it deserves to do very well over the counter!

Brian,

Good to chat to you at the NEC today - I've got the spare PC working now so can reply at last! Nice to see the class 40 photos without having to bend down to almost ground level at the show to see them on Heljan's stand! Overall I think it looks good but would echo the comments about the curved top of the roofline being possibly too severe - I also think the cab windows slope back too steeply when viewed side on - I didn't notice it at the show (but as I say was difficult to view) so presume it's nothing to do with any wide angle lens etc on your camera - maybe you can confirm/give your thoughts - if they are wrong I presume these things will be difficult to fix once they've got this far unfortunately! Fingers crossed it's just a wide angle/camera issue! Atleast the front cab windows have their rubber window seals nicely moulded on already!

Whilst looking in a bit more detail - one other thing minor(ish) I've noticed - if anyone is doing a v.late 70's/80's model with the disc headcodes removed.....the area behind the disc is not the correct shape. I'm looking at the top disc - on the real thing it is pretty much all curved and I think slightly smaller whereas the model displays a sort of arched window on it's side (with 2 x 90deg corners!) - hopefully this can be adjusted. They've actually managed to more correctly curve the ones housing the red tail lights! but all 6 of them should be all the same size.

I'm so glad the ladders,discs & grille will be all add ons - espec. the ladder - I was worried for a few minutes there before reading your comment - that would have ruined any br blue ones!

Overall looking very nice though...

• 2 weeks later...

Bryan (Howes' sound guru) sent me a nice snap of the 40 over the other day caught in natural light. Very appealing (aside from someone deciding to drill holes through both halves of the headcode discs) and it certainly captures the bulk of the loco well especially from such a low angle.

HJ40.jpg

That will be F1 then Nidge. Now where's that sound chip?

It's got yellow ends, an off white stripe and a grey roof at the moment and a black underframe. Also brush painting the red bufferbeams and other coloured bits around them. So should not be long now.

Oh and trying to sort out other Heljan projects and finish the Ferry Van and go to work and look on here occasionally :jester: When is the 30 hour day coming?

Thankfully I have a week off work now so one problem sorted :declare:

Nice picture isn't it by the way.

Archived