Bachmann nrm prototype deltic - spring 2013

Brian Grey

Just ordered my prototype Deltic from Shildon. £115 early bird offer.

It's the BR version as it ran with the cream cantrail stripe and slightly different shade of blue. Saw it at the Bachmann launch today, very nice indeed.

DCC fitted and sound versions are available, also a weathered one.

Ordered one yesterday before the prices went up.

Question about the livery looking at photos of it in the Hornby mag April 2008 it does seem to have a white cantrail when on the eastern and not cream.

Ordered one yesterday before the prices went up.

Question about the livery looking at photos of it in the Hornby mag April 2008 it does seem to have a white cantrail when on the eastern and not cream.

Yes it's one of those awkward off white colours! Nice one. 

I am intrigued by the comment on facebook regarding an original proposed livery for DP1; Cream with maroon lining. I heard that for the move from Dick Kerr Works it was cream and green. Are there any published illustrations of this scheme? Allegedly English Electric house colours since the days of 1930s trams and adopted by Blackpool(expecting some argument about this!).

Has anyone kept score on how many versions and how many total models Bachmann will have produced of DP1/Deltic. It must be a fair old few compared with most "limited editions". Everyone who wants one should have the chance of course (Mine was from the third batch - with the enamel pin badge), but the ongoing popularity of this model compared to the longer availability of Truro, MR 1000 and Butler Henderson models (the GCR 8Ks sold quickly but fewer were made I think?) leaves me curious about how modellers and/or collectors think about such things and how the very rapid sales of Bachmann's SECR C class fits in. Sorry to go off topic but I find it interesting how the NRM editions (including DP1) fit within the greater scheme of things both in the overall market and individuals' shopping lists.

RP

• RMweb Premium

Got my order in today, really pleased that the NRM have re-run this icon. And as a bonus it is in the workaday livery which is even better. Cheshire cat grin all over my face!

Even at full price isn't it cheaper than the first run? 

• RMweb Gold

Got my order in today, really pleased that the NRM have re-run this icon. And as a bonus it is in the workaday livery which is even better. Cheshire cat grin all over my face!

Even at full price isn't it cheaper than the first run? 

No.....but that was 5 years ago. I think I paid around the £ 100 mark for one of the first batch (delivered). However,£120 is still damned good value some 5 years on. It has not deterred me from an order,likewise,for one of these,yesterday. I 'spotted' it at  King's Cross in Sept.'59 on a Doncaster-King's cross turn. Under those circumstances,I let sentiment rule me......well,I had no choice........again. We now have twins in the family.....or at least,expected.

• RMweb Premium

Twins Ian ? Well you need two DP1s. The only time I saw DP1 was when it made a rare foray on to GWR metals.I remember standing on the platform at Didcot with many other enthusiasts, eventually the dull roar of the Napier Deltic engine could be heard long before she came into sight on the East loop, then as fast as Deltic appeared it was gone, a fleeting glance maybe, but an impression that is vivid today as it was then.

I will sound chip mine eventually probably with a chip from DC kits and relive the day I saw Deltic

No.....but that was 5 years ago. I think I paid around the £ 100 mark for one of the first batch (delivered). However,£120 is still damned good value some 5 years on. It has not deterred me from an order,likewise,for one of these,yesterday. I 'spotted' it at  King's Cross in Sept.'59 on a Doncaster-King's cross turn. Under those circumstances,I let sentiment rule me......well,I had no choice........again. We now have twins in the family.....or at least,expected.

The last lot were £145.00 for pristine and £149.00 for weathered, so this time it's much better value.   Shildon have 2 models in the display case now.  Beautiful!

• RMweb Premium

Yes someone I know bought up the remaining stock from Shildon hoping to make a killing. Well with a bit of luck he has caught a cold on this and will have to offload them cheaply....Greed has a habit of biting back.

Has anyone kept score on how many versions and how many total models Bachmann will have produced of DP1/Deltic. It must be a fair old few compared with most "limited editions". Everyone who wants one should have the chance of course (Mine was from the third batch - with the enamel pin badge), but the ongoing popularity of this model compared to the longer availability of Truro, MR 1000 and Butler Henderson models (the GCR 8Ks sold quickly but fewer were made I think?) leaves me curious about how modellers and/or collectors think about such things and how the very rapid sales of Bachmann's SECR C class fits in. Sorry to go off topic but I find it interesting how the NRM editions (including DP1) fit within the greater scheme of things both in the overall market and individuals' shopping lists.

RP

The OO scale locomotives produced for the NRM  (now commissioned by Locomotion, Shildon) are not “limited editions” in the traditional sense but “Exclusive Editions”. The only limited edition versions have been those in the Platinum range. As such  “Exclusive Editions” do not have certificates and the words were carefully chosen to ensure that there was no confusion with the limited edition market.[/size]

Whilst Bachmann can produce other versions of the City Class 4-4-0 (but not ‘City of Truro’) and the other locomotives of which there were more than one example, the prototype DP1 locomotive remains “exclusive” to the NRM as it was a one off unique locomotive. The 22 production ‘Deltics’ (later Class 55) were of course different to the prototype.

The latest "Exclusive Edition" of the Deltic prototype is an all new livery and it is the first time it has been issued in its mainline livery and condition. You will note the lighter shade of blue, different coloured roof and painted cantrail. Previous releases have all been in "as preserved" condition in which of course it never ran. This new livery therefore gives modellers and collectors the opportunity of having the authentic late 1950's locomotive in their train formations. In addition this is the first time that DP1 has been issued with DCC fitted and also with sound. The locomotive has been very competitively priced and I understand that there have already been a lot of orders placed for the early bird offers, so continuing interest is obviously still high. 

I trust that this clarifies the position.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe plc

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought, more to do with the prototype loco than the model.

Why does the Museum livery differ from that carried by the loco during its active life, and when was it changed? I am guessing pre-NRM but it would be nice to know for certain. 

Surely an authentic livery should be at least an important part of the preservation 'package' as retaining the damaged condition of the engine(s) rather than carrying out repairs?

John

Thanks for the information Andy but it appears that I may have been slightly misunderstood. I was not questioning the NRM's decision to make so many models available as if I feel sorry for collector investors; I am simply interested in the relative popularity of DP1 when compared to other models and particularly the "specials" from whatever source.

RP

Just a thought, more to do with the prototype loco than the model.

Why does the Museum livery differ from that carried by the loco during its active life, and when was it changed? I am guessing pre-NRM but it would be nice to know for certain. 

Surely an authentic livery should be at least an important part of the preservation 'package' as retaining the damaged condition of the engine(s) rather than carrying out repairs?

John

The loco was repainted in 1961 just prior to entering the Science Museum.

Thanks for the information Andy but it appears that I may have been slightly misunderstood. I was not questioning the NRM's decision to make so many models available as if I feel sorry for collector investors; I am simply interested in the relative popularity of DP1 when compared to other models and particularly the "specials" from whatever source.

RP

Most 'limited edition' runs (from Bachmann) are of 504 pieces so I'd say DP1 has done comparatively well.

....I heard that for the move from Dick Kerr Works it was cream and green. Are there any published illustrations of this scheme? ....

I've certainly never seen one. I did see a photo of it under construction / nearing completion, but since it was black and white, there was no way of knowing whether it had been painted. I don't suppose there would be a way of using digital technology to accurately "colourise" a b/w photo?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

DC analogue only now in stock according to Locomotion models website. DCC fitted arrives end of month. 'Early Bird' offers open until 11 August.The roar of twin Napier marine diesels can faintly be heard. 'Everybody loves the sound of a train in the distance......' Happy day!

DC analogue only now in stock according to Locomotion models website. DCC fitted arrives end of month. 'Early Bird' offers open until 11 August.The roar of twin Napier marine diesels can faintly be heard. 'Everybody loves the sound of a train in the distance......' Happy day!

DCC Ready, Weathered and Sound in stock . 

I've certainly never seen one. I did see a photo of it under construction / nearing completion, but since it was black and white, there was no way of knowing whether it had been painted.

Early and late colour pics here to compare http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/dp1.htm

As new at the works, with a cantrail stripe and crimson paint above the fuel tanks. Then in service at KX where these features are absent, and thus it looks very like the preserved condition. I reckon the livery variant being released now may well be appropriate to LMR service, but the 'as preserved' earlier model better represents its last two years working on ER.

Archived