Dapol Western breaks cover at Steam Swindon

Andy Y

Western_2.jpg

Dapol have shown the final pre-production final livery sample of D1000 'Western Enterprise' at the Swindon Railway Festival at Steam. RMweb members have been closer to the ongoing development of this model over the last couple of years than any model to date and the end result includes many details and amendments that have been raised with supporting evidence from various members whilst Dave Jones of Dapol actively listened and worked to further improve the product. As it's now getting close to release it's great to see what can be achieved with co-operation forming a small part of the development process.

The pictures bode well for those lucky enough to have ordered one and for the buyers of other editions either on general or limited release.

Contrary to my earlier comment on selling out D1000 is still available for pre-order by email gdavies@swindon.gov.uk with your name, email address, address and contact number. Payment will be requested at the time of delivery in a few weeks.

The all important subtle shapes, curves and features have been superbly captured and this model features Shawplan's etched number, name and works plates and an exquisite cycling lion symbol which you'll run a finger over and go "Ooh, ahh!". The latest sample shows the panel lifting eyes which have holes so fine as to be barely discernible with the naked eye.

Western_1.jpg

Western_3.jpg

Western_4.jpg

Some 51 years after the loco was introduced and 48 years after Trix announced their model we finally have a Western which really looks the part!

For the N Gauge modeller the latest EP sample of the N gauge Western is also on show.

W1n.jpg

The N gauge Class 22 was also shown at the N Gauge Show last weekend.

D63xx-N1.jpg

D63xx-N2.jpg

And it's big brother in OO disc-headcode form will also be on show at Swindon as a livery sample.

D63xx-split_headcode-2.jpg

And as extra GW bonuses for you here's a snap of the decorated Pannier samples and the 28xx!

Pannier_1.jpg

28xx-1.jpg

And finally a paint sample of the 122 Bubble Car

Class_122-N.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That Western does look cracking, is the roof the main area of weakness on the Heljan model? Class 22 doesn't half look bad either, I can just see one now slowly rumbling over Walkham Viaduct with a short freight. :P

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold

What a wonderful way to start the weekend. Thanks for posting Andy.

Congrats to the Dapol team, you have a real winner on your hands. This has been a case study on how to develop a RTR model.

Shame I chose not to order a Steam LE, but I have to be strict and stick to a budget for the impending Kernow versions.

Neil

Guest oldlugger

Yes the class 52 looks spot on, especially in side profile; Dapol have got the relationship between bogie and body just right, and the front end/roof profile looks excellent. The under fuel tank pipe work is a nice touch too. With a set of P4 wheels this will be a lovely model and I could see one of these making its way onto SMH at some stage.

Simon

With a set of P4 wheels this will be a lovely model and I could see one of these making its way onto

I looked at the bogies from a perspective of P4 considerations and whilst I have no practical experience it certainly looked as though there's room to do what's needed with some minor adaptation on brakes and gear. At the other extreme the bogie/valance clearance for those with tighter curves shouldn't be an issue; it's down to a mm of clearance but the swing is there.

Guest oldlugger

I looked at the bogies from a perspective of P4 considerations and whilst I have no practical experience it certainly looked as though there's room to do what's needed with some minor adaptation on brakes and gear. At the other extreme the bogie/valance clearance for those with tighter curves shouldn't be an issue; it's down to a mm of clearance but the swing is there.

Thanks for the heads up Andy; that's good news indeed!

Cheers

Simon

The 2884 class were never fitted with parallel chimneys as far as I am aware. (The 28xxs did in the first 20 or so years, but they were fatter than the ones shown on the Dapol.)

28/38xx didn't have LHS lubricator covers in GW/BR days - they are purely a preservationist thing for locos fitted with '5-glass lubricators'.

Not at all convinced about the cab - either the side windows are not high enough or the cab roof radius is too large.

B*gg*r me sideways with a splintered brake stick that Thousand looks the business and no mistake...! Well done Dave and team... that's it then, this is the clincher for me as far as 4mm goes, no more Deltics and Bachmann kettles, no more meandering off into wild dreams about modelling Doncaster or York when T-Rex were on Top Of The Pops, the future is Western shaped with high cheek bones, a proper roof cowling and a low sexy gait into the bargain.

Oh, and Dave... if you do scale this beauty up to 7mm, put me down for one of those as well. Now then, where's me tin of 'Laira banger blue' gone, I know it's round here somewhere....

Yours etc,

Nidge, on the blocks at platform 1, Paddington Station, News At Ten :good:

Edit : only just noticed the 4mm 22 with discs through the tears of joy...!

Edit #2 : just noticed D1000's name and numberplates don't line up! They should be at the same level, only D1036 had it's numberplates higher up! I'll shut up now... honest.

Edit #2 : just noticed D1000's name and numberplates don't line up! They should be at the same level, only D1036 had it's numberplates higher up! I'll shut up now... honest.

Dave will admit to a minor mishandling on those giving the error. :)

Ah, if truth be told the model came from China without plates fitted, unlike the previous deco model supplied to steam.

I, for my sins and nervous disposition and shaky hands glued the plates onto the side by hand and cross eyed method.

Guilty as charged m'lud.

Production ones are fitted by template at the correct scale 6ft 7" from rail top.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

D1000 looks even more delicious 'in the flesh' and talking to Dapol Dave today at Swindon he's also very happy with the box - and I don't blame him for saying that as it too looks absolutely smashing, a really good design and a true compliment to what will be in it. The body shells displayed on Dapol's stand were even better at showing the standard of detail design and tool making which has gone into the loco - it looks really good.

The disc headcode front end on the D63XX also looks very good - there were 4 fully liveried examples on the Dapol stand and all looked really impressive.

I am not happy as there is only going to 400 done D1000. NO fair Dapol Dave :nono: :cry: :cry: As I would really like one in that livery.

Terry :swoon: :shout:

I missed the boat too Terry but it's possible Steam could do other variations of the livery in due course. It's not dave's fault as that's the quantity that Steam committed to. I'm sure they could have sold more on the back of the quality of the product on release but they did invest a substantial amount for that 400.

I take back all my doubts that I had in earlier post on one of the threads, about the 'new' Dapol and its early releases, wondering/doubting what we were to get in the future when new models were commissioned, by others, and their own range was steadily announced. No comment is neccessary I think; just a listing (not complete I know):

Sentinel

D6300

Beattie well tank

D1000

etc.

A force to be reckoned with indeed.

Thanks to DapolDave and the team.

Stewart

Archived