3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

I cant believe that neither GF or Dapol have even mooted doing a rail crane. I'd be up for a pair of 75 C&S cranes, wallet willing of course.

Might even buy the kirov just for a laugh and paint it yellow, ok its out of my era, but i'm applying rule 1.   Beside i've already got most of the other N Gauge cranes already.

Tried to get whiteboar fell in another tread interested in trying his R&R 45 toner in N, dont think they were very interested the OO version looks great tho.

I would be careful with the side tipping MRA as Dapol already do it in 00 so may have it in their plans to produce it in N.

Otherwise all of the other models look like a good idea. Especially the Cowen Sheldon 75 ton crane. Would like to buy one of those when it is done!

Just waiting for there to be a Kirow crane sized hole in my credit card and I will be buying the wagon and crane set!

Alistair

Thanks Aistair,

The joy of 3D printing though means that the risk of doing a design that might end up in RTR form is quite low - the only costs I incur are my own time and any prototype prints, so if someone then brings out a RTR offering of one of the models, although it kills future sales, Im not left with unsold stock etc.

Interestingly, although I've invested around £2000 this year in developing the models, the economics really only stack up as a cottage industry 'on the side' - If I added in a cost for my time, at say £10 an hour, I would probably be adding on something horrific like £6000 to the total, so I would never break even if I included that.

David

Hello David,

The future plans sound good, is the 75t Crane the telescopic one? If so I think the new Peter Tatlow book will be invaluable to you.

The IQA is looking good too, you have made my common mistake though, and put the product name as the render file name which makes it easier to guess.

Keep up the good work,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

There seem to be 2 similar wagons, the IQA (which is what I am modelling) that comes from France, and the KVA (which Simon's link points to).  As with all nuclear wagons, there is scant information available on them, and I've not been able to find any photographs from the top, so the ridged surface is purely my invention, no idea what it looks like from above!

As the aforementioned DRS Mk2 coaches are going on sale this month, I was going to get a pair anyway, so decided I'd like a nice wagon to go with them...

David

I put the second one up for the others to see the difference really.... but glad you liked the first.

I've got the 00 MJJ wagon kit to "shrink" for N, as the 12 wheeler version, in my todo pile.

Struck trying to get the standalone flask done first. (small children and broken laptops are not helping!)

Back to the TRT, and here are the two sets of wagons together. Given you realistically need 2 sets of the sleeper wagons, that adds another 6 wagons to the length.

I'm going to need a bigger layout...

David

post-6666-0-43393600-1375968361_thumb.jpg

This wasn't on the list :(

Might need a pair of these now.

Alistair

Ah but that's the problem with a list - I get a few spare hours and something else appears!

David

• Like 5

Oooh David,

This has to be the best thread on here, love the Work you have done so far.

Deffo put me down for the nuclear wagon.

Will you be doing a QKA pocket wagon in the future as these seem to like hens teeth in our scale?

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

Great work on the TRT - looks fantastic and it's sheer size emphasis one of the benefits of N.

As for the flask wagon, it looks great but I can't quite make out how you have pivoted the two end chassis (with the bogie pivots on) from the main body of the wagon.  The clearance - especially toward the centre of the wagon - looks very tight!

cheers

Ben A.

First thought would be that if you mount the second bogie on a piece of thin metal strip pivoted off the bogie at the join (ie off the same mount and the bar able to rotate separately ditto the second bogie)  then it ought to go around anything. Might look a bit odd on a 9" curve but it ought to traverse it fine.

Forgive the crude drawing, but I think you are describing the second option here Alan?

Having not experimented much with this kind of set up, is there any benefit to either version? Does one give better movement than the other?

David

post-6666-0-59871000-1376003406_thumb.jpg

Edited by bmthtrains - David