3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

Generator wagon almost completed!

Although the real guard gates would be much finer, I actually think the printed versions used here are good enough, though will still print them separately for those who feel otherwise.

Overall I'm particularly pleased with how this has come out - the plethora of surface detail and the opportunity to add various decals has really brought this to life, it just needs a few cut down and replaced as I cut them too big

David

post-6666-0-22836800-1380293525_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-10200100-1380293648_thumb.jpg

Edited by bmthtrains - David
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

I had a lovely box of goodies arrive from Bernard Taylor today, so I now have bogies (and wheels from Parkside Dundas) to sell as packs for each of my models, with the necessary decal and glazing sheets included. This should make it far easier for anyone wanting to order one of my prints, as you can now get all the bits you need in none go. (It will certainly save a lot in p&p charges for everyone!).

It also means I can now wheel up all 5 wagons in the MRA set test print, so will give it a spin tomorrow and if all okay, can release it to the public (sudden mysterious Shapeways file error 'discoveries' not withstanding...)

It will make a nice break from my week at Uni which has mostly consisted of sanding a pair of car body filler disks to within an inch of their lives. I do have a nice UFO shaped spaceship as a result however.

David

• Like 3

Your going to need a bigger layout, to get a complete line replace working diorama at this rate.

Perhaps you could borrow Drem and close the Eastcoast mainline for a bank holiday possession???!!!

Edited by andygif
  • Like 1

I'm in two minds whether to start on the new layout in the new year or not, I'm finding I'm learning so many skills on my course each week that I'm almost frightened to start in case a week later I realise I could do it twice as well.

As a complete aside, this is this weeks achievement, turning this ghastly cast disk made from car body filler into this lovely little spaceship. A lot of sanding, filling and spraying (loving the gravity fed spray guns!) and the end result isn't too bad.

David

post-6666-0-56543900-1382726384_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-41167700-1382726438_thumb.jpgpost-6666-0-26997100-1382726485_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

While waiting for a final test print of the MRA wagons to arrive (I have adjusted the bogie ride height slightly), I've tentatively started on a massively complex project that is purely for my own 'want' list (I doubt there will me any demand for this due to the price so won't include this in my MIM line of prints) - the High Output Ballast Cleaning Train.

I'm going to do the actual cleaning unit first, then move onto the MFS-D/F and power wagons at a later date. Although the real unit is powered for slow movements during a track possession, I'm not going to motor this, as it will only ever be seen being towed by 66s as part of the monster HOBC set. I'm going to include a detailed cab interior, metal etches for the window guards and handrails, and design it in kit form to make painting easier. 

So far I have the CAD for the first (of four, and the only non-articulated) unit, minus its conveyor belt system. This is the next part to design, and will be printed separately. 

Much, much more to do, but its coming on nicely so far I think.

David

post-6666-0-90390400-1383501796_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-96456000-1383501809_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

With a three week architectural model project taking up almost all of my time at the moment, I've found it hard to fit in any 'hobby' modelling, but as I'm now away in London during much of December working at Foster & Partners, I decided to crack on this afternoon with the HOBC.

This is the second 'outer' unit of the train, and is now almost complete bar the converyor belts. I will probably get a print of both these units for testing in the new year, before moving onto the horrifically complicated inner vehicles.

David

post-6666-0-92963600-1385225457_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-02837300-1385225469_thumb.jpg

• Like 1