3D Printed N Gauge Pendolino and On Track Plant

With the Pendolino finished, I'm having a go at a second model - this time a Harsco Rail Grinder.

I chose this as its angular shape would provide a different challenge from the hideous curves on the Pendolino, but also because it has a lot of relief detail on it. It was supposed to be a project to keep me busy for a while, but the first stages of the CAD drawings seem to have only taken me 2 hours this evening!

post-6666-0-64365400-1358632705_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-32596300-1358632708_thumb.jpg

I've ordered 2 Kato power chassis from Japan (as they were only £16 each, it was actually cheaper to simply build identical twin-powered units rather than design and print a dummy chassis to match), and once these have arrived, I can properly fit the design around them. The design so far stops at the top of the bogies, as the actual grinding equipment needs to fit around the bogies on the chassis. 

This is as far as I can get without the chassis being here, but in the meantime I am going to work on the decal designs, and the interior detail - behind the lower window you can see into the cab it appears, though this I'm not 100% certain on this, it might just be a window into a camera bay - anyone know?

David

And I'm also having a go at scaling up my Hobbytrain Tamper. Being 1:160 scale, it is quite undersized, and this will be a great test of my cad plotting skills, as I have to measure the current model exactly, then scale it up to 1:144.

This will probably be unpowered (I could add a motor bogie though), as I will need several of these as scenic items for a new project...

David

post-6666-0-96803700-1358682862_thumb.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Hi David

looks good. Whats the potential in doing these to 4mm scale and scaling down for your own needs? I only ask because theres a bigger market in 4mil and you might get a better return should you decide to publish them (or whatever the 3d printing terminology is.

Cheers

Jim

And I'm also having a go at scaling up my Hobbytrain Tamper. Being 1:160 scale, it is quite undersized, and this will be a great test of my cad plotting skills, as I have to measure the current model exactly, then scale it up to 1:144.

Hello David.

I would not recommend doing that really. You are making a model from an existing model, if there are any errors then chances are you are just going to make them worse. Arent there any drawings available that you can at least get the basic dimensions from?

Missy.

Hi Missy, I'm not too concerned about any errors in the model, it's more a test for me to input something to a high level of accuracy (as in accurate to the model, not necessarily the original, as you say).

That said, if anyone has plans I wouldn't say no, but not been able to find any.

Jim, the grinder should certainly fit in the machines on 4mm certainly, so I will bare that in mind. The reason 3d printing is taking off in n I think is purely due to the maximum size generally being too small for OO rolling stock.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

That Rail Grinder looks superb!  Well done!

Just a couple of thoughts:  The spotlights on the cab roof corners look like they might be susceptible to snapping off in transit; might it be worth printing them separately and allowing the modeller to fix them?

Also, would it be worth adding some small guide indentations in the roof where the various handrails go, this would make it easier to drill the holes out to accept suitable bent wire...

Fanstastic work though, and it's great to see you pushing forward in this way.  I can see that I will be ordering one of the rail grinders myself!

cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben,

I need to set up the shapeways shop for the Pendolino, so thanks for reminding me!

I've removed the lights as you suggest, and will print them as separate parts. I am tempting fate and have now included the rear view mirrors in the design, but these too I think will need to be separately printed.

Not sure what I'll use for the handrails yet - I will have a rummage in the bits box. Will certainly need to get some horns and windscreen wipers - these would have to be etched I think, far too tiny to be printable at the current resolutions available in 3D printing.

This is as far as I can go before the chassis arrives. While I am waiting I will push on with the Tamper

David

post-6666-0-57403000-1358712294_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The basic tamper shape is coming on now after another hour's work tonight.

This is going to be a scenic item, unpowered, and I need several of these, so I'm essentially freed from the problem of fitting a power bogie or chassis into it. This will certainly make the tamping gear easier to model, though I think they are going to be a challenge no matter what...

David

post-6666-0-47017100-1358723208_thumb.jpg

For anyone who was interested in using the Pendolino bodyshells, I have now put them available to the public on shapeways under the shop name bmthtrains.

I will stress these are scratchbuilding aids, hopefully as anyone following this thread will realise. They aren't 100% accurate as are drawn from photographs, but will produce a model as good as (and even better I expect to see given I'm new at this!) the finished item detailed on here.

A couple of notes:

• The shells have window gaps, but the finished item looks better using vinyl to represent the glazing. Using vinyls also means you can correct my error of making only 1 driving car design, when the two are actually different, one having an extra window bay.
  • The  driving car needs a bit of filling and smoothing as the print comes out a bit rough on the complex nose.
  • I can supply the decal designs I've used if anyone wants them - just contact me on here

David

• Like 2

Right, another hour's work this evening, and the Tamper is ready for a test print. There are separate bogie plates that will fit into the underside of the bodyshell. 

I've also been working on a few scenic items, and have completed a set (comes in three parts) for a GSM-R communication transmitter. With the Grinder also well advanced and waiting for the chassis for further alterations, I'm creating a list of other things to work on as I'm getting quite fast at this!

So far on the list are a few more types of on track plant, portacabins, signals and other lineside equipment.

David

post-6666-0-42937100-1358809424_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-59253300-1358809227_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-78369900-1358809234.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That GSM unit looks very useful. You're getting to be a dab hand at this. Can we start a wish list yet? :P

Edited by ian

Ian, I'm aways open to inspiration :)

Ben, yes windows are a bit tricky when you need flush or ribbon glazing. You can bring a wall down to 0.3mm thickness, which is fine for older stock or locos, but as with the 390, vinyl is a better solution. I tried laser cutting clear plastic, but the edges cloud where the laser burns, so until we get purely transparent 3d printable material, finding other ways of representing windows is something to think about .

David

Plasser have some interesting basic plans on their website, such as this 08-16 series:

post-6666-0-13964600-1358872796_thumb.jpg

Problem is, and this seems to be common for most types of on track plant, the open access to the rear of each cab sits just where any motor needs to sit!

I can think of two ways round this if I want powered versions - a) model the cab door open or invent a side door that isn't really there, or b ) leave the tamper unpowered but put the motor in a trailing truck, a bit beefier than this:

post-6666-0-83526000-1358872945.jpg

I'm wondering which would be the best way to go

David

• RMweb Gold

Hello David

One less thing to worry about:  The bogies on the Plasser vehicle you mention above appear to be, or certainly look very similar to, the Gloucester GPS bogies that are available.

I would have thought motorising with a Kato shorty chassis, using only one bogie, should be do-able.  It is how I motorised my old N-thusiast/TPM tamper.

From a kit point of view, for these items of OTP I wonder whether the best solution might involve mixed media:  3D printing for the basic "shape" including all the detail parts, but an etched overlay for the cabs (to offer almost flush glazing) and the main bodyside panels to circumvent issues around print ridges, and etched fine details such as windscreen wipers, handrails, footsteps etc.

cheers

Ben A.

I agree that it could be motorised, I would look at making a cardon shaft from a motor housed in the main bulk of the vehicle. It is not too difficult and the cost of the Kato chassis these days makes attempting this type of exercise affordable.

Alternatively you could explain this problem to whoever makes the prototype to ensure that they modify the real thing to be easier to model...