Bachmann D11/2 review by Tony Wright

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

Seems strange to me that Bachmann list the loco as an LNER D11, but have failed to produce it in any actual LNER livery. I have Buttler Henderson from the NRM, and Hobbie Elliott from the Collectors Club in my display cabinet, but would really like a couple of LNER (one green and one black) liveried engines for the layout !

Seems strange to me that Bachmann list the loco as an LNER D11, but have failed to produce it in any actual LNER livery. I have Buttler Henderson from the NRM, and Hobbie Elliott from the Collectors Club in my display cabinet, but would really like a couple of LNER (one green and one black) liveried engines for the layout !

Bachmann has one in green due for release, which I think is actually a re-release;

http://www.ehattons.com/60862/Bachmann_Branchline_31_137_Class_D11_2_4_4_0_6399_Allan_Bane_in_LNER_green/StockDetail.aspx

I've got my eye on one, although there's no indication of when its due yet.

edit:

I've just double checked and it was listed in last years announcements/catalogue (in the news section here on rmweb) back in March under the "New Issues of previous models" section.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone any update on the availability of BR green versions of the D11/2 Hobbie Elliot  (or the GCR version), and likely prices for either?

I have a fondness for locos of the immediate post-war period and the optimistic colours sometimes applied.

Also do the green versions NRM or Collector's Club models have paint as well-done as the BR black versions, which is pretty good by all accounts?  The models seem to have gone off the radar somewhat, and given supply problems in 00 RTR... do we see a rare model here in the less-common liveries? I see Hattons have an LNER A2 at quite a keen price...

edit; and am pleased to say I found a BR green D11/2 on Ebay brand new and bought it at £119... an impressive model to my eyes. I am surprised by the lack of mention of it here, but perhaps not many were made?

post-7929-0-67224600-1400384271.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Could you tell me where you got your information regarding Eddie Ochiltree been the only D11/2 to carry the late crest ? I have been checking records and there are quite a few D11/2's that weren't withdrawn until late 1961. Now I might be wrong but I would have thought these locos would have been fitted with the late crest. I note Eddie Ochiltree as withdrawn in August 1959 so would expect other locos at sometime after 1957 ( when new crest was first used) having a major rebuild and repaint and new crest fitted at same time. 

Ian H

Could you tell me where you got your information regarding Eddie Ochiltree been the only D11/2 to carry the late crest ? I have been checking records and there are quite a few D11/2's that weren't withdrawn until late 1961. Now I might be wrong but I would have thought these locos would have been fitted with the late crest. I note Eddie Ochiltree as withdrawn in August 1959 so would expect other locos at sometime after 1957 ( when new crest was first used) having a major rebuild and repaint and new crest fitted at same time. 

Ian H

I must agree with Ian H with his dating as on Thursday August 23rd. 1962 I saw this example of a D11/2 in a woodyard in Bo'ness, Bonny Scotland.

62691Large_zpscdda9204.jpg

As you can see it has a large crest.

The photograph above, for which I thank Marcel Gommers for, actually predates my sighting by several months.

Also present was 62693 "Roderick Dhu" although I cannot say what size of crest, if at, it carried.

Certainly haven't seen any photographic evidence that there were any others. Many of the Directors were being placed in storage,as a prelude to eventual withdrawal,not long after the new emblem was introduced. I doubt if any were shopped after 1957..but I'm guessing.

DR

Hobbie is a Collectors Club edition. Still for sale  @ £117. Most of club editions sell out so not that popular, which might explain why the next one is now another Black LNER version.

I have just checked Bachmann webpage after reading your post and the model has changed number also from LNER green Allan Bane 6399 to black Luckie Mucklebackit 6385. Did I miss an announcement about this or did they just change and not tell anyone? I am a bit disappointed as there are not many apple green models released each year but I am still glad we are getting one in LNER livery.

Perhaps it's just me being cynical, but Bachmann often seem to delay making the popular liveries in the hope that people will buy the less popular ones amidst all the excitement of the appearance of a new RTR model.Thus we end up with versions of a loco that we didn't really want, and Bachmann sell more models. For instance, they delayed making a BR late crest K3 with straight-sided tender (except for the weathered collectors one), then they decided that sales of the K3 were disappointing, and so what would probably have been the most popular version of the model has never appeared. I wonder if Bachmann changed the LNER green to black because once people had an LNER green one, they would decide they had enough D11s?

edit; and am pleased to say I found a BR green D11/2 on Ebay brand new and bought it at £119... an impressive model to my eyes. I am surprised by the lack of mention of it here, but perhaps not many were made?

attachicon.gif31-136k_d11_3ab_r800.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

That does look rather smart.

Only problem is it would be correct for only a very limited period on a layout.

When did smoke box number plates get fitted? They seem to have been added at a later date and not when the locos were painted green

One error is that it should have the high vac pipe with support as per the photo a few posts later. Note that the hose is missing on that one.

I think it should also have the GC oval buffers at this time.

A challenge for you Rob to "correct" it.

A slight variation on the name would shock the purists.

If I got one I would be tempted to re-name her as Madge Elliot of Waverley fame.

Bernard

Thanks Bernard, I had thought of Robbie Elliot  since that's my usual everyday name, the first part at least,  :)

I recall now there was some discussion about oval buffers and vac pipes when the D11 models were first out and photos were used mostly to determine the most accurate choices.  The RCTS  on the LNER engines may help, vol.3B ? 

I'm pretty sure the smokebox number plate would have been fitted somewhat after the LNER green/British Railways hybrid finish, the 4 which were thus painted being perhaps a defiant gesture of sorts.

I will certainly be looking for pics of BR D11s in my various books, especially any LNER green or BR/LNER green versions, and look forward to begriming the model somewhat, or even re-naming it (in a virtual manner). I am also wondering if all the engines kept long front wheel guards to the end, rather than any short bogie-mounted types.  I don't recall seeing any colour pics of the real LNER/BR green D11/2s... but there are a few of other 4-4-0s like D16s and D47s etc so I will get the general appearance 'in service'.

Cheers,

Rob

edit   from the D11/2 thread started by Andy Y

According to RCTS Green Book Part 3B, the following D11/2's were fitted with Group Standard round buffers, from the late 1940's:-
62685, 62687, 62690 & 62693.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53401-Bachmann-announce-d112/page-9

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if this is any help, taken by Dad at Stirling in June 1948.

post-5613-0-81844600-1400534899_thumb.jpg

Stirling D11 62671 Bailie Mac Wheeble pass Stirling to Edinburgh June 1948 heavy rain late afternoon JVol6016

I do know that this image has been on RMWeb before in another thread, I hope no one will mind it appearing here as well..

David

Well I certainly DON'T mind, lovely, and the exact atmosphere needed.  Shows the hoses and smokebox perfectly, and is a great photo.

Are they Gresleys or Thompsons? I have both in teak and most in BR red and I'm wondering which will look most like those in the pic.

So, oval buffers, hoses as shown, moderate grime/weathering, dark grey carriage roofs and I think teak carriages?  looks like brake 3rd, 3rd, composite, brake 3rd...

I have just checked Bachmann webpage after reading your post and the model has changed number also from LNER green Allan Bane 6399 to black Luckie Mucklebackit 6385. Did I miss an announcement about this or did they just change and not tell anyone? I am a bit disappointed as there are not many apple green models released each year but I am still glad we are getting one in LNER livery.

I mentioned this a while back elsewhere on this forum (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69149-Bachmann-announcements-20134/page-39&do=findComment&comment=1390851). They just seem to have changed the information on the website, retailers took quite a while to reflect the changes so I don't think they made any annoucements about it.

I was informed of the livery change from Allan Bane 3 weeks ago by Rails of Sheffield where I have it on pre-order. I would have preferred the apple green version, but at least we will finally have an LNER liveried D11. I know black liveries are cheaper / less complicated, but if they've done Hobbie Elliott for the Collectors Club, applying LNER instead of British Railways livery to another batch would not need that much extra investment. Hobbie is a superb model and the only reason I can think of for it's continued availability is the limited time the livery was carried. Did anyone see the weathered one for sale at Ally Pally in March ? Beautiful. And only £120 if memory serves. 

• RMweb Gold

Well I certainly DON'T mind, lovely, and the exact atmosphere needed.  Shows the hoses and smokebox perfectly, and is a great photo.

Are they Gresleys or Thompsons? I have both in teak and most in BR red and I'm wondering which will look most like those in the pic.

So, oval buffers, hoses as shown, moderate grime/weathering, dark grey carriage roofs and I think teak carriages?  looks like brake 3rd, 3rd, composite, brake 3rd...

Hi, robmcg, the carriages are the Gresley types. However he BT's are three compartments rather than the the four of the lovely Hornby models( of which I've accumulated too many).

Yes you've got the formation correct, a typical four carriage set for those services.

Look forward to seeing your picture.

All the best,

Market65.

Thanks Market65,

I am confused (nothing new about that) when looking at post-WW2 pics of LNER coaching stock. Were suburban carriages like the Gresleys and Thompsons always teak or were some a reddish-maroon colour even before the BR days? Does the waistband lining on the photo above of the D11 suggest teak? Or could they have been red/maroon?

Sorry to be so dumb.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi, robmcg, glad to have been of some help. The general state regarding LNER carriage liveries at the start of the B.R. era was that the carriages would still have been carrying either teak or that rather dull brown. The new 'red' i.e. crimson livery was only gradually painted on by the new state-owned system, with some non-gangwayed stock remaining in pre-B.R. finish until being scrapped in the late '50's.

I think that the waistband lining that you are refering to is the 'step' between the two panels of teak (regardless of livery), i.e. the bottom panel, which is beautifully captured by Hornby, is projecting outwards further than the panelling above the waist-level. In different lighting conditions it is easy to mistake it for lining-out!

So, the carriages willl still be in either teak or that dull brown (a bit like chocolate brown I have always thought). I hope that this is of some further help to you.

All the best,

Market65.

I would agree on the chocolate brown as an overall impression.

A weekly trip via Liverpool Street , even as a very young child, sticks in my mind.

Several points to be considered.

At this time almost every thing was dirty, including the air.

Preparation prior to painting was almost certainly not to the previous standard, in part due to a lack of labour.

Accuracy of paint mixing probably left a lot to be desired. 

Colour film of the period was rather off in colour balance, particularly the red shades.

Not that many people had cameras better than a Box Brownie in 1948 and even fewer would have used colour.

Suburban stock in the East London area was pretty grotty, I doubt if Glesga and Embra maintained what they had in any better cosmetic condition.

Better

I am confused (nothing new about that) when looking at post-WW2 pics of LNER coaching stock. Were suburban carriages like the Gresleys and Thompsons always teak or were some a reddish-maroon colour even before the BR days? Does the waistband lining on the photo above of the D11 suggest teak? Or could they have been red/maroon?...

Rob,

Did you find yourself a copy of 'The Big Four in Colour 1935 -50'? You can actually see what you are asking about in there, in colour photos.

Archived