Bachmann D11/2 review by Tony Wright

Andy Y

My debit card has been processed today for the Bachmann 31-137 Class D11 6385 'Luckie Mucklebackit' today. Looking forward to seeing the LNER black example now... :)

Luckie Mucklebackit and Hayston of Bucklaw on their way to me as well, although must say I'm mildly irritated the former isn't LNER green.

Luckie Mucklebackit and Hayston of Bucklaw on their way to me as well, although must say I'm mildly irritated the former isn't LNER green.

Why is it I have a inkling that Bachmann may just announce another D11 next year in LNER green...? I've only just bought the Model Rail Marne model...!! At the end of the day though I know where you're coming from the LNER Green livery... I sometimes wonder if the £40.74 difference is really worth it...?

Why is it I have a inkling that Bachmann may just announce another D11 next year in LNER green...? I've only just bought the Model Rail Marne model...!! At the end of the day though I know where you're coming from the LNER Green livery... I sometimes wonder if the £40.74 difference is really worth it...?

To be quite honest I'm yet to be convinced that the planned D11/2 in LNER green production slot wasn't sacrificed in favour of a potentially more commerically lucrative Ltd Ed D11 version for Model Rail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi I'm a new member of RMweb.

I've just purchased a Bachmann D11/2. This comes with a wide range of detailing parts. Not all of them are explained in the instructions. Even the ones that are shown it is not clear how they fit. For example the gaurd irons. Is a spot of superglue needed, or am I missing something? Ditto the rather superb three link coupling?

The loco has vac pipes fitted but also has additional ones to fit that hang down.

As a mainly 009 modeller, I'm used to kits and scratch building. I don't often buy RTR so not sure what is normal.

This is a superbly detailed model and very good value too. The only fault is the rather vague instructional diagram.

Bob

Thanks

I have some 18inch curves on hidden sections, so I will check clearances. I will be taking the front coupling off and replacing with the three link.

Do the various shovels and irons go in a particular place, or should I just use my initiative? And what are the other parts?

It runs beautifully and looks the part on the front of a set of Gresley coaches.

Bob

• 2 years later...

Has anyone replaced the motor?  From day one my loco has noticeably slowed down on very minor gradients and on the entrance into curves.  This phenomena becomes worse as the load increases effectively limiting it to a four coach load.  The phenomena decreases as the speed increases, i.e. the voltage (HP) increases.  I have lived with this problem since I purchased the loco because it is rather nice and I have renamed it as BR Butler Henderson for sentimental reasons.  However, due to some changes this problem is no longer acceptable.  I am using a four controller Guagemaster panel unit that does not have feedback, but I have tried running with a feedback unit with only a very minor improvement. I have a very vague memory saying that it was supposed to be a 5 pole motor but some or all the early ones came out with a 3 pole motor.  As I understand it a 5 pole would have more torque.  Hence my question.  FYI I am running DC

Has anyone replaced the motor?  From day one my loco has noticeably slowed down on very minor gradients and on the entrance into curves.  This phenomena becomes worse as the load increases effectively limiting it to a four coach load.  The phenomena decreases as the speed increases, i.e. the voltage (HP) increases.  I have lived with this problem since I purchased the loco because it is rather nice and I have renamed it as BR Butler Henderson for sentimental reasons.  However, due to some changes this problem is no longer acceptable.  I am using a four controller Guagemaster panel unit that does not have feedback, but I have tried running with a feedback unit with only a very minor improvement. I have a very vague memory saying that it was supposed to be a 5 pole motor but some or all the early ones came out with a 3 pole motor.  As I understand it a 5 pole would have more torque.  Hence my question.  FYI I am running DC

I expect it's fairly straightforward getting a replacement motor from Bachmann. Have you tried running the chassis without the body attached to establish whether there is a problem with binding somewhere? If you haven't already I would take a good look at the chassis, pickups and gears whilst the body is off, perhaps there's a build up of old grease around the gears?

Regards,

Nick

Archived