Met 1, Steam on the London Underground & related events

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

LU have also paid for the overhaul of Met No. 1, so have use of the loco until the overhaul costs have been paid for. They have also paid for vacuum brakes to be refitted to Sarah Siddons.

• 2 weeks later...

A limited amount of tickets have become available for the January trips both standard and first class. I have just managed to book 2 tickets. They are being sold on a first come first serve basis so get in quick. The booking line number is 020 7565 7298

A limited amount of tickets have become available for the January trips both standard and first class. I have just managed to book 2 tickets. They are being sold on a first come first serve basis so get in quick. The booking line number is 020 7565 7298

Just doing the maths, and assuming th trains are filled to capacit with paying passengers, and assuming 6 people per 1st compartment, and 8 per 3rd compartment, the LTM/LU will be making close to £140,000 from these 8 trips. Clearly some of the seats will be staff/managers/VIPs but that's still over 100,000 which should cover all costs of movin stock and paperwork. Just to put it in context, each steam trip hould bring in £21,600 revenue which must on a pound per mile or per hour, make it the most valuable train anywhere in the country (more than the VSOE?). Still its a one off. The chace to travel in the Cheshams through Met tunnels, with the windows open etc, is not one to be missed!

Th money they are making is incredible, still, all goes to fund the overhauls they've carried out, its mainly cos they borrowed the money for no 1 from TfL, so need to pay back quickly.

But actually if you look again, the figures become even bigger. Th stock was designed as 5 and 4 per seat (depending on class, so that makes it 8 per first class and 10 per 3rd/ I've travelled with 10 to a compartment, in them, that a fun experience! But yes, they do stand to do well, and no doubt they wil drag more money out of you when it comes to the steam on the met and open day events!

And also for the record, the milk van will also most very likely be in the formation, its has had ultrasonic and fitness to run exams at wolverton works in the last few months, much in the same way the ashbury coaches did a few weeks back. And more recently has undergone running in at the epping and ongar railway. This vehicle is even more interesting because it actually has wooden frames to it, not just the body work like the coaches.

The milkvan arrived back at acton a few days ago and there have been pictures showing it and the jubilee coach together. The ashburys should also be in the capital, if not as i type, then very soon. There is a photo of one of them being loaded onto the low-loader somewhere about.

And with a bit of luck the E class has had some lining work done on it! Its big outing is next weekend and so arts been in plain maroon!

If anyone is interested - I came across a clip from a film the BFI are restoring from a 1928 film set on the London Underground.

There's some information about the film here:

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/544121/index.html

Also on Youtube I came across a film from the 100th Anniversary of the tube.

http://youtu.be/F_ck0UqM_Z8

• Like 1

Anyone other than me think the Met is being short changed, the event being called LU150, not Met150!?

but anyway, last night, Met 1, The Milk van, Met Jubilee 353 and Sarah Siddons made the move to Lillie bridge to set up with the Bluebell Ashbury Chesham coaches, which arrived in the last few days.

The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that Met 1 has also been lined out and had its Met Railway livery applied

Mark

• Like 6

The planned composition of the 150th Anniversary Train 150 is, so I have been told:

Metropolitan Steam Locomotive No. 1

Ashbury's Coaches  (Nos 387, 412, 394 and 368 ex Chesham Shuttle)

Metropolitan Railway Jubilee Coach 353

Metropolitan Railway Milk Van No. 4

Electric Locomotive No 12 Sarah Siddons.

Photo opportunities at Moorgate from Platforms 1 & 2 will be limited. Train 150 will use Platform 4, no surprise, but there is an additional 7 car S Stock train, Train 751, that will occupy Platform 3 at Moorgate from 10:17 on Sunday through to 22:55, i.e. it will arrive before the first timetabled arrival of Train 150 into Moorgate at 10:32, and remain there until the last scheduled departure at 22:38. There will also be two battery locos, Train 777, stabled in Farringdon sidings between 10:00 and 23:33. It would appear that in the event of the failure of Train 150, the battery locos will be used to move it, and the S Stock used to collect the passengers and take them to the original destination.

The above timings apply to Sunday 13th.

There are similar arrangements for Breakdown and Relief Trains, 777 and 751 respectively, for Sunday 20th.  

Edited by GoingUnderground
  • Like 2