Ideas for a 6x2 layout?

AngryMeerkat

Good evening all,

I've nearly finished my first baseboard, which measures 6'x2' and I'm now finalising track plans. But as usual I've reached that indecisive point, and would really appreciate your input ....

First of all an overview - my current board is 6x2, however this will be extended to be 10'x2' when the need arises. This 10x2 section will be a stand alone layout for the moment, but will eventually form part of a loft layout so will need a way to 'run in' to a larger plan, probably a large circle of around 35'x35' in years to come.

What I'd like from this first section is a TMD and fuelling point, with a main line (which will eventually form part of the large circle layout) running at either the front or the back of the board. My layout will be 00 gauge and based in the 80s. My plan is not so much about 'train running' and more about the scenics, so having lots of train movements isn't of the highest importance.

My initial thoughts are something like the following (I've put links to the website just in case I'm not allowed to post the pics from there)

http://www.freetrack...ckley-Wells.php

http://www.freetrack...bling-Depot.php

I'd like the actual depot to be a 2 road building as I plan on using the card kit and weathering it, and some more sidings to store engines. If there is a way to incorporate a station on a 2 track main line onto the initial boards then perfect, however this is very much a secondary concern.

Any ideas would really be much appreciated,

Thanks, Mark

EDIT -

My proposed trackplan is as follows

Plan1image_zps4f3838a9.jpg

Could anyone with some knowledge please offer advice on the trackplan and if it would be workable please? I intend on using DCC if that helps any?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

My plan is not so much about 'train running' and more about the scenics, so having lots of train movements isn't of the highest importance.

It looks like you're using Setrack in the plan you've posted. If you're more concerned about appearance than operation, I'd suggest using larger radius Peco Streamline points, even if that means a simpler layout.

There were still quite a lot of depots and stabling points in use in the 80s, so you might well be able to find a prototype to base your layout on.

It looks like you're using Setrack in the plan you've posted. If you're more concerned about appearance than operation, I'd suggest using larger radius Peco Streamline points, even if that means a simpler layout.

There were still quite a lot of depots and stabling points in use in the 80s, so you might well be able to find a prototype to base your layout on.

I tried Setrack but I couldn't make it work at all so went back to what I know - Hornby. I know very little about track apart from gauge, but I'm doing my best to research this and get the track that looks right. The Peco track confuses me with code this and Streamline that, not great for novices like me!

I've also had a quick look to see if I can find any track plans for the only TMD I've ever visited - Allerton TMD in Liverpool. They appear hard to find though so it may have to be google maps and some imagination I think.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby track has the same geometry as Peco Setrack so they're effectively the same. The Peco Streamline range is much larger - hence the confusion! - but allows a wider variety of track layouts to be created and has useful pieces like single and double slips. Crucially, the curves in the points are less sharp than Setrack so look less toy-like (in fact they can look very good when painted and ballasted as a number of layouts on RMweb illustrate).

There are two "codes" which just refer to the height of the rails (in thousandths of an inch I believe): afaik they're otherwise identical although some of the points are available only in one code. Code 75 looks slightly better and threads on RMweb suggest there's no reason not to use it unless you're running very old models that can't easily be re-wheeled.

Points are also available with live or dead "frogs". Live looks slightly better and gives continuous electrical contact with less chance of locos stalling or stuttering. It does need a little more wiring and switching.

I don't have a plan of Allerton, but I guess it's going to be too large for your space. I think there have been threads on prototype stabling points on RMweb before, so a search of the forum might throw something up. Otherwise you could start a thread in the prototype questions section, as there's a lot of knowledge hereabouts.

• RMweb Premium

If you want some inspiration for the size of layout and era you are modelling, you could hardly do better than to look at AndrewP's layouts - in the Layout section.

Check out "Kingsmill" , "Loch Leven" and "Glen Roy" for starters.

His latest miniature, "Masons Lane" is currently on page 1 of the layouts page, with hyperlinks to all the above. I think you will be impressed and find much of use!

Jeff

I agree on the track. although OO on HO track is never going to look 'perfect', in close ups code 75 Peco track still looks better than code 100, and I would highly recommend using 'live' points, i.e. electrofrog. I found this very confusing when I started out, but Brian Lambert's site has a lot of great info on this. here's the points section: http://www.brian-lam...ical.htm#Points

I had to read that about five times before I understood it, but it all makes sense. :)

edit: oh yes, and Peco do large medium and small points. the large ones do take up a lot of space, but are the closest to the real thing.

Thanks for all the hints and advice gents, im taking everything in and learning as much as i can while still trying to keep the 'fun' in the hobby and not trying to make a 'perfect replica' of something.

With that in mind i've adapted a plan I saw a while ago .....

Plan3Pic_zps23009f01.jpg

It is based on Buckley Wells, which is apparently in Manchester somewhere. The prototype calls for a 4 road shed coming from a single track main line, and an exact replica would require more space than I currently have so I've removed a couple of sidings and gone for a 2 road shed. Again due to space and cost I'm having to go with Hornby track and points for this section, hopefully with some painting and weathering I can get the track looking pretty good. As the layout will be a depot the amount of dirt i'm planning on applying will mostly hide the rails and sleepers anyway.

Any advice or comments welcome.

Mark

this comment comes with all the usual "it's your layout" caveats etc, but I believe I'm correct in saying that a real main line wouldn't have those facing points on the left, they should both be trailing (like the ones on the right) if it is to be prototypical. the trains would have to reverse onto the other line, in other words.

also, as it stands now the locos in the refuelling stage would have to foul the main line in order to get back to the train shed, which I'm not sure would normally be done either. you could possibly fix this by swapping that point to the refuelling stage with the short straight immediately after which goes to the shed. you'd have to move the stage over a little towards the retaining wall/shed though.

even without those changes though, it looks like a nice little layout. I'm looking to follow this example in the future, making 'little' layouts all connected up. I think that'll be the way forward for me. :)

this comment comes with all the usual "it's your layout" caveats etc, but I believe I'm correct in saying that a real main line wouldn't have those facing points on the left, they should both be trailing (like the ones on the right) if it is to be prototypical. the trains would have to reverse onto the other line, in other words.

also, as it stands now the locos in the refuelling stage would have to foul the main line in order to get back to the train shed, which I'm not sure would normally be done either. you could possibly fix this by swapping that point to the refuelling stage with the short straight immediately after which goes to the shed. you'd have to move the stage over a little towards the retaining wall/shed though.

even without those changes though, it looks like a nice little layout. I'm looking to follow this example in the future, making 'little' layouts all connected up. I think that'll be the way forward for me. :)

Thanks for the comments. The original track plan was a single track main with a loop on the outside, I've just extended this loop to become a second main line. And unfortunately I've just returned with £95 worth of track and points, none of which I can swap to change the points to how you suggest (D'oh!!). I could leave that end of the track 'open' and swap the points when funds allow? Ideally if its not a major problem I'd like to get away with it as it is?

I've also just had a play round with the fuel siding as you suggested. Using standard single straight as the size, even with the point swapped my Class 25 still fouls the main line, only just but enough to cause a collision with anything on the main. If I move the fuel siding any further towards the top/rear of the layout I lose too much siding length so an engine wouldn't fit there, even with the slight curve removed. Would it look too bad if an engine coming out of the fuel siding fouled the main line by about 2mm, knowing the engine will only move straight into the shed area and will never sit at that junction?

This is a massive learning curve for me so thanks for your input

Mark

I'm only new into this hobby myself, so I would defer to the experts on prototypical practice, but one think I know for sure is that is is all about having fun and (probably) having a nice distraction from life's chores. to that end, I wouldn't worry about the crossover points. you could always change them later, as you say. the entrance to the depot would only be an issue if you had to time movements with an express on the way through the station, for example (maybe in the future?). but there are loads of things that are not prototypical with any model railway. hardly anyone models catch points (that I've seen), for example.

it's all about finding what level of compromise you are willing to accept with a railway. we all have to compromise somewhere, after all. some people are happy to settle with a Hornby oval and a tunnel, and some people are not happy until they've built all their own track and detailed the interior of their coaches. none of them are wrong. :)

by the way, I like your screen name. :D

Hi A.M.,

- Some playing around with your latest plan...

The sketch below is a tweak on your original, uses all your track (would need an extra point) and hopefully avoids fouling the mainline for the refuelling. However, it does mean that only half of the top shed road can be used for stabling.

post-12195-0-12959600-1348954302_thumb.png

I threw in some suggestions for the 'open' areas. The footbridge to the left may offer a ‘disguised’ left-hand exit and help to 'frame' the scene plus link the backscene to the foreground. The station would fit a DMU, or a loco-hauled (47? 40?) 5 or 6 coach train if you pretend that the platform continues past the left edge of the layout.

This version shows a move of the shed which would mean more room on the shed roads.

post-12195-0-43606500-1348954338_thumb.png

Cheers, Steve.

(and thanks to Mr Beast for guidance on posting the images).

• RMweb Gold

Mark,

As it stands the engine release road at the end of the platform is very short, 6" max according to your drawing grid.

It might be a little short for larger locos, or most bogie diesels.

I appreciate it will eventually extend, but as a stand alone you might find it a little restrictive.

Again look at Glen Roy's engine release as an example.

Regards

Richard

Hi A.M.,

- Some playing around with your latest plan...

The sketch below is a tweak on your original, uses all your track (would need an extra point) and hopefully avoids fouling the mainline for the refuelling. However, it does mean that only half of the top shed road can be used for stabling.

post-12195-0-12959600-1348954302_thumb.png

I threw in some suggestions for the 'open' areas. The footbridge to the left may offer a ‘disguised’ left-hand exit and help to 'frame' the scene plus link the backscene to the foreground. The station would fit a DMU, or a loco-hauled (47? 40?) 5 or 6 coach train if you pretend that the platform continues past the left edge of the layout.

This version shows a move of the shed which would mean more room on the shed roads.

post-12195-0-43606500-1348954338_thumb.png

Cheers, Steve.

(and thanks to Mr Beast for guidance on posting the images).

Steve, thanks for the ideas. I'm really liking the second layout plan with the depot moved allowing the rear siding to be storage and fuel point access as well as fixing the main line blocking issue. I'm going to have a play round with the track today and see how it works, but I think it's the right way to go.

I'm a little unsure of the scenic sections though (station and under the bridge). The station I think could work, and would solve that end section 'ending' if I used a mirror as the back scene (an idea I got from a small layout on this website, I will credit the originator when I find the layout again!). The Tarmac section under the bridge is the bit I'm not sure on, as the bridge and back scene were going to be elevated sections making the depot/station area appear to be in a slight depression. I will need to try and work out how that Tarmac area would be accessed, but I'm hoping to incorporate it as a small cameo section.

Thanks again for the great ideas.

Mark

Mark,

As it stands the engine release road at the end of the platform is very short, 6" max according to your drawing grid.

It might be a little short for larger locos, or most bogie diesels.

I appreciate it will eventually extend, but as a stand alone you might find it a little restrictive.

Again look at Glen Roy's engine release as an example.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for pointing this out Richard, when doing the plans I didn't really think of the main line being used for running at all. Since reading your comment I have pulled the points at the left end of the main line in towards the centre more, which only just gives me enough room to get a 37 through the points. I have also checked the points at the right hand end, and allowed a bit more room here as the points will be slightly hidden under the bridge so engine control will be vital!!

I've spent some time looking at all the pictures of Glen Roy, a fantastic example of what can be achieved in a small space and a quality I hope to replicate with my attempt.

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I'm really liking the second layout plan with the depot moved allowing the rear siding to be storage and fuel point access as well as fixing the main line blocking issue.

A couple of tweaks to Steve O's second plan, again assuming everything continues to the left. I've added a second platform to suggest a bleak unstaffed through station on a secondary line (the 70s style bus shelter suggested by Steve would work really well). Access to the station is via a path up the bank rising towards the bridge on the right with steps for the last few feet to give the local young mums with buggies some exercise. No ticket facilities - pay on the train.

There's no facing crossover, but the trailing crossover means you can still terminate a DMU when the layout is worked with just the right hand fiddle yard.

I've also added a shunt neck for the loco depot: there needs to be some sort of trap to protect the running line anyway, so it might as well be operationally useful. It might be worth reducing the fuelling point to a single siding as I think two might begin to crowd the scene.

Edit: perhaps Knottingley Depot might provide some scenic inspiration?

post-6813-0-43962900-1349021758_thumb.gif

Never underestimate the power of CHECKING things. Check, check, and check!!

Got my trackplan all set out on the board, did all the basic electrics, checked power to the track, drilled all the holes for the point motors. All that is perfect, no problems at all.

I then start building my engine shed, again it's going great. Hold on a minute, that entrance looks rather small compared to the 2 tracks that will be going inside it ...... OH ######!!! Although the 2 tracks coming off the same point will go into it perfectly, 2 tracks coming from 2 separate points DO NOT fit quite so well!! Luckily I've used flexitrack for the sidings so I should just be able to unpin the 2 tracks and move them slightly closer together.

Amateurs mistake I know, and one I will not be repeating any time soon!! Other than that the layout is progressing well. I did try to start a blog but I seem unable to do that, I presume I need a certain number of posts before I'm allowed?

Simon, I wish I had seen your update sooner! I won't be able to add the extra siding, but I am planning to incorporate your ideas with the station as this will help 'end' the layout at the front.

Thanks, Mark

• RMweb Premium

Simon, I wish I had seen your update sooner! I won't be able to add the extra siding, but I am planning to incorporate your ideas with the station as this will help 'end' the layout at the front.

That's a pity, as engines shunting out of your shed will come very close to fouling the main line. On the prototype a trap point would be placed about where I've put the additional points to prevent that happening, and when the route wasn't set out of the yard it would either lead to a short siding and buffers or just dump the errant loco on the ballast. If need be, the siding could be extended to make a shunt neck for the yard as in my update.

Could you not swap the now redundant right hand points from the deleted facing crossover for a shiny new left hander and squeeze in the trap? I still think a single fuel siding is enough too, so that's another one to throw into the deal. At that rate you're looking at hand-built with platinum rails :mosking:

BTW, a facing crossover might well exist here, but it would be off-scene to the right of the bridge to give access to the yard.

Hopefully this post is going to contain some pictures and an update on where I'm up to with the layout .......

post-16914-0-85375100-1349455014_thumb.jpgpost-16914-0-57471900-1349455032_thumb.jpg

This shows the track laid and the position of the shed. Just a couple of things I'm curious about though. Now that the plan has been amended to have 2 platforms, is the main line track to close to the front of the board, or would a half-depth platform give the right effect? My plan for the back scene is to have a raised section with retaining walls leading into the bridge at the right end of the layout.

When it comes to points and signalling, what signals would I need and where would I put them? And can I link them to points so that the direction of the points dictates the colour of the signal? I'm not planning to use DCC for the points and lighting, keeping it simple here.

The track may also change in the near future, FlyingPig is making me think more about the real world and I'm going this way instead of just what's in my head!

Look forward to your comments

Mark

The track goes down!

Nice.

Cheers Steve, the moment has come! So far the track has been up and down about 5 times, trying different things and checking holes and spaces. I finally think I'm happy with it now.

Today has become another great day of progress - I now have all my point motors and switches, and a station platform for the shed side of the main line. This is turning into a nice little project now, really enjoying it.

However as this is no longer really a thread asking for track plan advice I suppose I should start a new 'progress' thread in the layout section?

Archived