Kernow Models D6xx Update

Andy Y

The big Warship looked good running at the Peterborough show today, thanks to the guys on Hinton Parva for letting me have a close view of it and the Bulleid 1co-Co1. Both look very good and were hauling fair sized trains. I am still trying to find a reason for having a third one on an Eastern Region layout. :scratchhead:

Because you can!  :-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nothing here for over a month now so I thought it was about time for some pictures of an A1A-A1A North British product........

[/url]The JR SCMAGLEV and Railway Park. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://38752246892_e57842c110_h.jpgThe JR SCMAGLEV and Railway Park. by mailrail, on Flickr

[/url]The JR SCMAGLEV and Railway Park. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://38065114124_36ea853e0e_h.jpgThe JR SCMAGLEV and Railway Park. by mailrail, on Flickr

[ [/url]The JR SCMAGLEV and Railway Park. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://27007516049_49fb4d23d7_h.jpgThe JR SCMAGLEV and Railway Park. by mailrail, on Flickr

[/url]The JR SCMAGLEV and Railway Park. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://23918175847_4ea4d58873_h.jpgThe JR SCMAGLEV and Railway Park. by mailrail, on Flickr

[/url]The JR SCMAGLEV and Railway Park. by mailrail, on Flickr">http://37896809005_117c1a952e_h.jpgThe JR SCMAGLEV and Railway Park. by mailrail, on Flickr

Ok I know it's totally off topic but it just shows how diverse some of the motive power was coming out of the North British factory back in 1923, 34 years before the first Warships were turned out, although the Warships were built at the Queens Park Works and the plate on the electric states the Hyde Park Works but both in Glasgow. 

North British, with it's constituent companies had a history dating back to 1833 and at one time  had been the world's largest locomotive builders.

Alright history lesson over we can get back to waiting for the Kernow model!

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

Another month has gone by as we patiently wait, so here's another North British A1A Warship related picture.

Seen at the Exeter MR Exhibition on Rob Doidge's Railwayana stand an original nameplate from D604 Cossack. The story behind it is that it had been bought from Collectors Corner at Euston along with a number of other railway artifacts for display in a chain of restaurants in the USA before being returned to the UK.It was for sale for 6 or 8 grand (not sure which now) Rob kindly let me take this picture to take away with me.

post-7344-0-59377400-1515508510_thumb.jpg

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 1

No No them proper SR Hornby electric locos need doing first ................. :D

I was told at Warley that the South Western roadvan brakes would follow the D600s ........................... hopefully the Hornby's will be next ..........................

P.S. you can't fool me that ED 18 2 was built in 1923 - they hadn't invented crosshead screws then !

• 3 weeks later...

Another month has gone by as we patiently wait, so here's another North British A1A Warship related picture.

Seen at the Exeter MR Exhibition on Rob Doidge's Railwayana stand an original nameplate from D604 Cossack. The story behind it is that it had been bought from Collectors Corner at Euston along with a number of other railway artifacts for display in a chain of restaurants in the USA before being returned to the UK.It was for sale for 6 or 8 grand (not sure which now) Rob kindly let me take this picture to take away with me.

Was it for sale? If so, how much and we’re you tempted?

• 1 month later...
Guest chris.trebble

And a further two months gone by. Perhaps Kernow can provide an update on the exact state of play and estimate date of release - particularly for those who have prepaid.

And a further two months gone by. Perhaps Kernow can provide an update on the exact state of play and estimate date of release - particularly for those who have prepaid.

Why - it won't get here any the sooner?!

Forget about it, and when it does appear it'll be a nice surprise!

...... and yes - I too have pre-paid; as I have for 10203.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Kernow do provide updates. But they do not provide the sort of update which might say “There is nothing to report this week”. Their newsletter and social media feeds include news when there is something to say.

The past two months has also included the Chinese New Year shut-down during which nothing happens and following which the factories often have to recruit new labour.

Patience will pay rewards. They will be here soon enough.

Completely agree.  I always have a quick look at their weekly newsletter hoping for any news whatsoever on the D600.

When as usual there is nothing, I immediately delete  the newsletter.

On a personal level I have had seriously ill health for the past several years and I have really now given up hope of receiving a model of what was my favourite early diesel.

Keith.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/104/Warship_Limited_Editions

We have got to the EP stage.  That isn't too far from production.  Once the EP is signed off (which it might well have been) there will be at least one livery sample for each version and then, finally, we shall have our 600s.  

I ordered the model back in 2010, yes 2010 and I’m pleased I never got suckered into paying for it when the letters came out last year, I’m not a betting man but I doubt it’s closer than two years away.

Suckered ? You have some strange ways of enjoying your hobby

What has been the gestation period for other models from commissioners ?  Yes the D600 has been a long time coming but I don't think designing the CADs has been a walk in the park. Am I right in thinking Fred Phipps gauge 1 or gauge 3 modelling has played a part.

Guest chris.trebble

I ordered the model back in 2010, yes 2010 and I’m pleased I never got suckered into paying for it when the letters came out last year, I’m not a betting man but I doubt it’s closer than two years away.

I have a certain sympathy with delticfan although 'suckered' may be too strong a word. I too am immensely frustrated with lack of communication from Kernow and DJM and, having come from an environment where communication is of utmost importance, I believe both Kernow and DJM owe it to their customers to provide regular (and accurate!) updates even if these are only along the lines of 'Further progress delayed due to Chinese New Year, etc. We are now awaiting further EP (or whatever) and hope to have this available by ......... Expected delivery of finished models now expected ........'

• RMweb Gold

I remain baffled by people’s anxiety over a class of loco numbering 5. They were, as a result, very thinly spread even at the peak of their less-than-stellar career, and I am at a loss to know how anyone’s layout is much the poorer for Kernow’s model’s late appearance. Yes, they made a change from the D8xx classes, but with a ratio of 14 to 1 and indifferent reliability, they were scarce. No-one will die in a ditch as a result of waiting, nor will their layout be to any extent less authentic.

• Like 2

I have a certain sympathy with delticfan although 'suckered' may be too strong a word. I too am immensely frustrated with lack of communication from Kernow and DJM and, having come from an environment where communication is of utmost importance, I believe both Kernow and DJM owe it to their customers to provide regular (and accurate!) updates even if these are only along the lines of 'Further progress delayed due to Chinese New Year, etc. We are now awaiting further EP (or whatever) and hope to have this available by ......... Expected delivery of finished models now expected ........'

What material difference will it make to any of us if we are regularly told "Not yet"?

Surely all the efforts of the commissioners, producers and manufacturers are best directed towards getting the model out?

All this 'communicate with me' is just impatience; find something productive to do - the models will arrive when they arrive.

..... and if you don't like the sometimes protracted delays prior to the arrival of commissioned models, don't pre-order them.

Regards,

John Isherwood.