Backdating a Mainline/Hornby Dean Goods

Coming on nicely, though to be a real pedant there are a few points: you've got the long smokebox of a superheated boiler! Superheaters weren't fitted until after 1911 and after the fitting of a Belpaire firebox - some were scrapped without ever having had one - and the regulator gear lubricating pipe didn't get a cover until the 1920s. Toughest call of all is the tender which probably should still have coal rails rather than solid fenders if you want to use the pre-1906 livery. And maybe a thinner, taller chimney...

Thanks!

Feel free to point out the faults, I'm a big boy. Maybe I can correct one or two of them. The smokebox stays, but the pipe cover could be fixed and I might be able to find another chimney. My alibi for the tender is a picture of No. 98, Churchward's prototype 4-6-0 with a similar tender sporting the solid fenders and the old livery.

I have a couple of Edwardian-era Dean Goods on my to-do pile, one like this with an S4 boiler and one with an early B4 belpaire job. For the former I've got a Finney kit stached away, for the latter a Dapol body (with mods) on a High Level chassis. One of these years...

Yours has caught the look, I must say (despite the nit-picking)!

Hi Stepfan,

The loco is looking very fetching in its GWR livery. The new chimney is much more antique in appearance now, so I'm glad you changed it. I shall be interested to see how you line this loco, as the GWR livery of the period was quite complex. (Oh dear, SR electric modeller straying into areas he knows little about!)

All the best,

Colin

I have a couple of Edwardian-era Dean Goods on my to-do pile, one like this with an S4 boiler and one with an early B4 belpaire job. For the former I've got a Finney kit stached away, for the latter a Dapol body (with mods) on a High Level chassis. One of these years...

Yours has caught the look, I must say (despite the nit-picking)!

There's enough parts in the Finney kit to produce the B4 belpaire version too. Someone has made 2 before. I think it's in the MRJ compendium. Peter

Hi Stepfan,

The loco is looking very fetching in its GWR livery. The new chimney is much more antique in appearance now, so I'm glad you changed it. I shall be interested to see how you line this loco, as the GWR livery of the period was quite complex. (Oh dear, SR electric modeller straying into areas he knows little about!)

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin!

I will use the Modelmaster-lining since I feel comfortable with this type of transfer. It should be pretty straightforward to line the loco. The only tricky area will be the cab-sides, the curves have a different radius from the ones supplied.

Regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Lovely job sir! The more I see of your work, the more I realise what a shame it is that these beautiful locomotives have never been updated in RTR form. Given their immense longevity, surely a modern Dean Goods with moulds designed to allow all of the multitude of variants (certainly not beyond the wit of man and probably a popular choice as a small line tender engine one would have thought) would be a really good idea. Perhaps, this would fit into the Bachmann range alongside the City and Dukedog? They could backdate their lovely panniers too...

Mind you, if that had happened, we might not have the benifit and entertainment of your brilliant thread -keep it up!

All the best,

Castle

I started off in EM with the aim of modelling early 1900s GWR 40 years ago, but somehow most of my locos and stock ended up being 30 years too modern! I'm starting to get inspired to actually achieve my aim at long last!

Hi Stefan,

Lovely job sir! The more I see of your work, the more I realise what a shame it is that these beautiful locomotives have never been updated in RTR form. Given their immense longevity, surely a modern Dean Goods with moulds designed to allow all of the multitude of variants (certainly not beyond the wit of man and probably a popular choice as a small line tender engine one would have thought) would be a really good idea. Perhaps, this would fit into the Bachmann range alongside the City and Dukedog? They could backdate their lovely panniers too...

Mind you, if that had happened, we might not have the benifit and entertainment of your brilliant thread -keep it up!

All the best,

Castle

Thanks Castle!

I was thinking pretty much the same thing; Finescale wheels and break gear, an improved tender drive and maybe some small alterations of the tooling like chimney and tender top, would make a model that would sell quite nicely!

Regards,

Stefan

I started off in EM with the aim of modelling early 1900s GWR 40 years ago, but somehow most of my locos and stock ended up being 30 years too modern! I'm starting to get inspired to actually achieve my aim at long last!

Thanks for your kind words, John!

You have inspired me to re-shuffle my plans. I will make an attempt to backdate the Airfix 61xx next!

Regards,

Stefan

Thanks for your kind words, John!

You have inspired me to re-shuffle my plans. I will make an attempt to backdate the Airfix 61xx next!

Regards,

Stefan

I didn't say I would actually DO anything, but I'm glad I'm helping to inspire you!

Archived