Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

One thing I've just found out

If you purchase new from hattons

The first 6 months if you get a problem you can return to hattons

After that you have to return to manufacture

Don't know if people knew this or not

Edited by Shroomy

• RMweb Premium

To round off my experience, I'm still getting the Norton warning however I was confident enough that it was spurious to place an order (on Tuesday) for a pair of second hand Belgian vans which arrived with postie this morning. Pretty good going I thought.

FYI:  I'm running Norton (On Mac with Safari) but haven't had any Hatton's warning at all.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Placed my first order with Hattons yesterday afternoon, a minute later given a 'your order has been processed' message and about 9:45 this morning got a message telling me that my order had been packed and was about to enter the Royal Mail system. I chose Tracked Delivery but the Royal Mail website keeps on telling me that my reference number is invalid. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

• RMweb Gold

Placed my first order with Hattons yesterday afternoon, a minute later given a 'your order has been processed' message and about 9:45 this morning got a message telling me that my order had been packed and was about to enter the Royal Mail system. I chose Tracked Delivery but the Royal Mail website keeps on telling me that my reference number is invalid. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Hi SVRlad, tracking information for Royal Mail parcels usually becomes active a little later on in the day after it begins to make progress through their system.

I would expect it to begin tracking properly for you by around 6pm tonight.

If you have any questions or issues then please don't hesitate to contact our Helpdesk team by phone (0151 7333655) or email (info@hattons.co.uk) and they'll be more than happy to help.

Cheers,

Dave

Yes have had this before and currently have the same response with an order from another model supplier that e-mailed me that my order was 'despatched'. Tends to mean the order is packed at the supplier and has been given a 'tracked' reference that they probably have as a prepaid stock from Royal Mail. Your order cannot be recognised until the Royal Mail collect the package and process it on to their system, then the tracking number goes 'live'.

They're using these? :jester:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-mail-Fake-tracked-self-adhesive-labels-20-EXTRA-FREE-LABELS/162551994847?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170907081254%26meid%3D7eab853a18bd4d5694548a8f7ec18d0e%26pid%3D100281%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100281.m3567

Edit - in view of official, and correct, response from the company concerned...

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1

Often forgotten (and this is not Hattons specific) are a couple of terms used:

1) Order processed can mean that it has only been received from you, and an acknowledgement sent back to you. Nothing physical has yet happened.

2) Order despatched really just means they have picked the item from the shelf, and wrapped it. It is now waiting to be taken to the Post Office, or sitting there waiting for the courier to collect it. It has not (usually) actually left the premises. This can be hours later or even another day

3) If it is a tracked service, the courier won't activate tracking until they are actually handling the parcel (though sometimes the retailer could have a prepaid system which might log it onto the system.)

This is very much a generalisation, and not a criticism in any way. Just to try to make those waiting for their order to have a little patience!

Stewart 

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1

I ordered a second hand Bude from hattons. Which unfortunately must have been dropped by the post office as one smoke deflector was broken off and the other had a split in it. No quibble about a refund which was a relief. It did make me wonder what happens to items like these that they can't return to Hornby.

Hi SVRlad, tracking information for Royal Mail parcels usually becomes active a little later on in the day after it begins to make progress through their system.

I would expect it to begin tracking properly for you by around 6pm tonight.

If you have any questions or issues then please don't hesitate to contact our Helpdesk team by phone (0151 7333655) or email (info@hattons.co.uk) and they'll be more than happy to help.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave. It's my first time ordering from Hattons, just wasn't quite used to their system. :)

I ordered a second hand Bude from hattons. Which unfortunately must have been dropped by the post office as one smoke deflector was broken off and the other had a split in it. No quibble about a refund which was a relief. It did make me wonder what happens to items like these that they can't return to Hornby.

They will have a contract with Royal Mail which will presumably apply. As for the loco, it will enhance the pool of spares......

• Like 1

They put it back in Pre-owned, add the words "deflectors damaged" and raise the price another fifty quid.....

One thing I've just found out

If you purchase new from hattons

The first 6 months if you get a problem you can return to hattons

After that you have to return to manufacture

Don't know if people knew this or not

Hattons may want you to do this, but under consumer law (Consumer Rights Act) your contract is with the retailer - Hattons. If something goes wrong in the first six months you are entitled to a full refund, after this a repair can be done or a partial refund given. Really you should return the item to Hattons - it is up to them (and their expense) to get it repaired themselves or send it back the the manufacturer. The limit of this is 6 years - but the fault has to have been there from the manufacturing process - I guess most model trains are going to break due to 'wear and tear' which is not covered.

• RMweb Premium

Hattons may want you to do this, but under consumer law (Consumer Rights Act) your contract is with the retailer - Hattons. If something goes wrong in the first six months you are entitled to a full refund, after this a repair can be done or a partial refund given. Really you should return the item to Hattons - it is up to them (and their expense) to get it repaired themselves or send it back the the manufacturer. The limit of this is 6 years - but the fault has to have been there from the manufacturing process - I guess most model trains are going to break due to 'wear and tear' which is not covered.

After 6 months, isn't the onus also on the purchaser to demonstrate that the fault was due to the manufacturer?

Difficult in many cases, but perhaps not in the case of Mazak rot.

They will have a contract with Royal Mail which will presumably apply. As for the loco, it will enhance the pool of spares......

It’s a shame it got broken because it was in good condition. Bude has extra long smoke deflectors so I dare say it might be a job to get hold of parts for them to fix it

• RMweb Gold

I agree, I moved last years pre-orders to Derails and repeated again this year.

Prices are generally competitive to Rails and beat Hattons.

Whilst i put a deposit down in advance on each Loco, I also get a nice little QA card in the box telling me it's been checked before it's sent.

When it comes to rolling stock I usually wait until they are "in stock" and combine, otherwise I end up paying £4 in postage for each coach/wagon as it's arrives.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Maybe hattons Dave will clarify the situation so everybody knows where they stand

• RMweb Premium

Hattons hasn't been the cheapest for quite a few years.

Rails seem to be slightly cheaper with new stuff. The slightly older stuff, it pays to compare prices once they start discounting. Hattons are cheaper for some items, Rails for others.

They put it back in Pre-owned, add the words "deflectors damaged" and raise the price another fifty quid.....

And there it is this morning!

"Damage to deflectors" (which will be next to impossible to obtain as they are non-standard length) - and yours for £120.

Or you can have one with deflectors (but not actually working) at a cool £140.

Or you could buy both, swop deflectors and have a model which runs at a mere £260.

Feeling sad about our hobby and the way some of our once most trusted suppliers are headed.  :cry:

I did sell some of my models to Hattons early last year although they were in better condition than this one. My collection is getting a tiny bit out of hand.

I tried a local auction and they were not interested. Then I took the tried to sell them at the members stand at a weekend model railway exhibition. Next I tried a toy fair. Still no success.

Finally I tried Rails and Hattons. Hattons offered a better price although it was far lower than the prices in Ramsays catalogue. I found their service very good. They supplied a prepaid label for their courier and sent a bank transfer to me as soon as they had received the models

• Like 3

I did sell some of my models to Hattons early last year although they were in better condition than this one. My collection is getting a tiny bit out of hand.

I tried a local auction and they were not interested. Then I took the tried to sell them at the members stand at a weekend model railway exhibition. Next I tried a toy fair. Still no success.

Finally I tried Rails and Hattons. Hattons offered a better price although it was far lower than the prices in Ramsays catalogue. I found their service very good. They supplied a prepaid label for their courier and sent a bank transfer to me as soon as they had received the models

Ebay is still far the best place to sell them, even with their charges and the economic downturn.

You can check what similar items have been selling for with the Completed Listings facility, then set a starting price you'd be happy to sell for in line with that - or just take a chance to let it rip with a 99p start.

While everywhere else seems dead, the OO-gauge section on eBay is still producing some astonishingly good selling prices if the item is in reasonably good nick to start with.