Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

I wonder who the retailer was... Suddenly a lot of stock to take into stock. DO we know of any recent bigger shops that may have closed or expunged stock in this volume.  Not much for me, but still a good amount of stock to put back on the market. If anyone is interested.  Not affiliated, just interested :angel:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=270

Cheers

Lots of it too, not some little shop.

Of course it's difficult to always tell what is new new and old new, I take it we weren't expecting a big pile of Class 73s.

or the big pile of 68's in Chiltern livery that will be very much a slow seller.  Tis an interesting pile for sure.

Interesting on the old t'interweb the only shop that comes up with a Dapol Green SYE  club special class 73 is Olivia's and they advertise seemingly having everything in stock.

Perhaps this is more interchange between Hattons and Olivia's which mainly seems go in the direction of Hattons to sell on.

Interesting on the old t'interweb the only shop that comes up with a Dapol Green SYE club special class 73 is Olivia's and they advertise seemingly having everything in stock.

Perhaps this is more interchange between Hattons and Olivia's which mainly seems go in the direction of Hattons to sell on.

Looking at the thread in the bargainhuntersmk2, it would seem that they have taken some LE stock from over the pennines. I wonder whether the rest is part of hoarding stock for later that never quite worked out.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125236-bargain-hunters-mark-2/page-39&do=findComment&comment=3093974

Hopefully this is still the correct thread as well...

Edited by GEOEng03

• RMweb Gold

This issue is not specific to Hattons/Heljan. 

It seems to be par for the course for models these days that parts that are supposed to be fixed are loose in the box (or missing)

Put them on with too little adhesive, they fall off.

But - put them on with too much glue - they don't fall off, but have blobs of adhesive or glue marks. 

Don't put them on and leave them to the customers to apply - then complaints about unfitted parts abound.

The manufacturers/commisioners are damned if they do or damned if they don't.

Cheers,

Mick

The alternative is to mould it on.. but then their dammed for not enough detail...

Of course it's difficult to always tell what is new new and old new, I take it we weren't expecting a big pile of Class 73s.

Lots of Olivia Limited Editions at £99.....one First Purple 'Charlotte' on its way to me.

I mean, how could I resist :)

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Some of the prices are, well...interesting...

K1's 62015 £125

King 6000 KGV £140

31439 £109

34006 £130

4472 (NRM R3336) £144

there's definitely some older models here from 2014 onwards, and in many are in quantities > 10.

I was tempted at a Glastonbury Abbey at £104, until i saw on ebay they are selling for less than £100.

It looks like some of may be ex Modelzone stock.

Modelzone went in 2013... Things like Duke of Gloucester / P2 2001 were released years afterwards.

Hornby ended it's concessions around a year or so ago, this could be that stock, but bargain giveaway it is not... This could be new guy at Hornby's way of staying true to his word about no bulk discounting, but still releasing the old stock... it might even point to the future as regards slow selling older stock.

Edited by adb968008

Don't forget that WHSmith took over the Modelzone brand and kept trading so that may be why there is some newer stock.  Just a thought as one of the items is a Modelzone Ltd Edition (East Coast HST).

Some of the prices are, well...interesting...

K1's 62015 £125

King 6000 KGV £140

31439 £109

34006 £130

4472 (NRM R3336) £144

there's definitely some older models here from 2014 onwards, and in many are in quantities > 10.

I was tempted at a Glastonbury Abbey at £104, until i saw on ebay they are selling for less than £100.

Modelzone went in 2013... Things like Duke of Gloucester / P2 2001 were released years afterwards.

Hornby ended it's concessions around a year or so ago, this could be that stock, but bargain giveaway it is not... This could be new guy at Hornby's way of staying true to his word about no bulk discounting, but still releasing the old stock... it might even point to the future as regards slow selling older stock.

Yep, but I just don't see it selling at these prices. As you say, much of it can be had in mint used (or even 'new'!) condition on ebay for about 60-70% of these prices. 

Will be interesting to see if Hornby's resistance to bulk discounting will ever give way, in any form, as some this stock such as the Kings, K1's, D16's etc isn't shifting, despite it being 3 years old or more.

I can't remember the last time I bought a brand new loco (that wasn't a commission) at the time of release for RRP - probably the Hornby Castle Wellington in 2015. Locos just simply cost too much now from new. 

CoY

• Like 1

It is an interesting mix of stock to suddenly have 10+ of. The LE's do show that it looks to have been sourced from one place, wonder who has taken the hit over the exorbitant prices that each may have been listed for original and probably why they are still at or close to RRP, if it is a straight purchase or a % of profit from each sale to Hattons. 

Not much for me at those prices as well, but could be tempted by a GBRf 73... Anyway, just a view and probably wrong...

Re the point on RRP, the number of instances of bargains has reduced markedly in recent times, which does suggest that the new team at Hornby are moving away from this. The fact that RRP for 2018 releases looks to have dropped a bit over 2017 (Colas 67 and the VT 87 being case in point). I know only a few percent, but better for it to be cheaper and more consistent I think!  I know think about what I want, rather than impulse buy, saves being in trouble with the wife as much!

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

I’m still sticking by my theory of it being concession returns.

Concessions ended Feb 2017. Confession stock was Sale or Return.

Modelzone popped in 2013.. The P2, DoG, K1 etc etc didn’t appear on shelves until years later (Sandra Kan went pop, mass delays etc).

There’s a lot of stock to be 1 off loaded from 1 retailer, and for that retailer to be still going, but a nationwide chain of concessions (Bentalls, Fenwicks etc etc) to me would fit better.., in timeline and quantities.

Of course it could be a combination and two different sources merged in a single opportunity to the market at the same time... who knows, we don’t.

Put differently, if it isn’t, and concession stuff was SOR.. then where is it?

Edited by adb968008

I’m still sticking by my theory of it being concession returns.

Concessions ended Feb 2017. Confession stock was Sale or Return.

Modelzone popped in 2013.. The P2, DoG, K1 etc etc didn’t appear on shelves until years later (Sandra Kan went pop, mass delays etc).

There’s a lot of stock to be 1 off loaded from 1 retailer, and for that retailer to be still going, but a nationwide chain of concessions (Bentalls, Fenwicks etc etc) to me would fit better.., in timeline and quantities

Put differently, if it isn’t, and concession stuff was SOR.. then where is it?

I am led to believe that we bought the vast majority of Bentalls concession stock over twelve months ago.

Edited by Widnes Model Centre