Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

Hi Guy

I must express my satisfaction in the service I have recived from rails this week I order a Hornby class 7 and it was on a 48 hour delivery and it appeared today 24hours a head of time so a big thanks to rails for the top service

Thanks

Alan

Hi Guy

I must express my satisfaction in the service I have recived from rails this week I order a Hornby class 7 and it was on a 48 hour delivery and it appeared today 24hours a head of time so a big thanks to rails for the top service

Thanks

Alan

You do know this is the hattons thread not the rails of Sheffield thread?

Mark

• RMweb Gold

This has been done to death i'd say. It was Olivia's Trains where all the stuff came from and they've not shut up shop. 47436 can be found easily new still with a quick google

Maybe add “at a price” to the end of it.

I couldn’t find 47436 for less than £120, I did find 1 retailer with them and just as I was about to click, Hattons popped up with the stock of them at less than £115.. so I bought 3 of them.

I noticed they sold out again already.

47436 is a perfect candidate to renumber.

Easter Saturday I ordered three items, two had stock levels of more than 10, the other 3 items. 

When the order was still open on Thursday I mailed them to see what the issue was. Two were out of stock (The '3 items' was one.) the other in stock. 'They were having computer issues with stock level indications.' So I asked for a refund on the two out of stick, and ordered them from Rails. They arrived on Friday. On Saturday, having had no word from Hattons, I chased the item up, so finally they managed to get around to sending it and it's in DPD's hands as I write.

I've spent an eye-watering amount of money with Hattons over the years, but this was my last purchase for a long time to come. I'll keep an eye on reports about them, but really, they have lost the plot in the last few months. How they can take an order for well over £200 and simply sit on it when they find they've miss-reported stock levels is beyond me.

Probably because the've got so large that they have lost that 'hunger' to maintain their previously impeccable reputation for service. (Says a customer of some 30yrs who has spent an obscene fortune with them over that time). I will still use them but fully expect to be collateral damage once again at some point again soon. There may come a tipping point though........

• RMweb Premium

Probably because the've got so large that they have lost that 'hunger' to maintain their previously impeccable reputation for service. (Says a customer of some 30yrs who has spent an obscene fortune with them over that time). I will still use them but fully expect to be collateral damage once again at some point again soon. There may come a tipping point though........

I placed an order with them a few weeks ago. It went out a day or so after I ordered (which is fine - I went for the cheapest delivery and they make it clear there's no guarantee on same-day shipment) and turned up the next day.

However I can't think when I've had an item of rolling stock of this value (Bachmann DMU) packed so badly - it was free to rattle around inside the (over-sized) shipping box so that it could bang into the sides and the other things in there. I also ordered a truck and the box for that was badly dented - no way of knowing if it happened during transit or not but either way not ideal. 

The bubble wrap may originally have completely surrounded the contents of the shipping box but there wasn't anything like enough and it had presumably moved.

Hattons have some good bargains (which is why I bought this) but I don't see much reason to use them otherwise any more (though the ability to choose which shipping company they use is very nice).

Hi Guys

Hattons have really lost the plot when it comes to custemer service so much so I've had to ask for a full refund on a £500 order not a good day when your loosing custemers

Thanks

Alan

Hi Guys

Hattons have really lost the plot when it comes to custemer service so much so I've had to ask for a full refund on a £500 order not a good day when your loosing custemers

Thanks

Alan

If you are going to talk down Hatton's, the least you could do is explain why you had to cancel the order?

• RMweb Premium

A few weeks ago, I arranged for some items to be collected at the shop counter by a friend of mine who was visiting on business. 

The order was placed and the £4 charge that is normally levied was applied and duly refunded as the order was picked - no problem with that.

Through no fault of Hattons - he forgot to collect them.

He informed me of this about an hour after he had left them. Within a few minutes, I was on the phone to Hattons to apologise for my friend's incompetence. (He won't be reading this....)

As the order had already been booked out on their system, it took a few moments forthe Hattons guy to re-apply the postage charge (not a problem as my friend was now picking up the tab for that!) and re-arrange the delivery.

They turned up next day.

Full marks to Hattons, even though they had been inconvenienced.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

They do have some strange ideas when it comes to pricing.

Non DCC, non running Hornby 92 in EWS £48 sold as seen,

New DCC ready 92 in beastie livery £49.

Logic?

You're not quite comparing like for like.

If they were the same livery (and possibly number) , then that's a different matter.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

You're not quite comparing like for like.

If they were the same livery (and possibly number) , then that's a different matter.

Cheers,

Mick

That was not my aim, mearly noted that they seem to think a older non DCC 92 that is second hand is worth the same as a brand new DCC version. Livery aside.

• RMweb Premium

That was not my aim, mearly noted that they seem to think a older non DCC 92 that is second hand is worth the same as a brand new DCC version. Livery aside.

Quite possibly so, but some liveries are more desirable than others and can justify a supposedly higher price.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Quite possibly so, but some liveries are more desirable than others and can justify a supposedly higher price.

Cheers,

Mick

So Hattons believe, especially as the EWS is a non runner.

I would think that by now any regular reader of this forum and any regular reader of their web site would be aware that the prices for new goods and the prices for  second hand goods are not connected in any way shape or form. You either buy or do not by, simples.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

I would think that by now any regular reader of this forum and any regular reader of their web site would be aware that the prices for new goods and the prices for  second hand goods are not connected in any way shape or form. You either buy or do not by, simples.

Bernard

A bit harsh - by regular do you mean someone like yourself, who has been here for 10 years, or the person you were replying to, who has been here for 1 year?

Not connected in any way shape or form? I would have thought they are connected by virtue of the fact they are all model trains, which sets the overall market parameters. It is quite common for Hattons to have a pre-owned example for a few quid less than the identical brand new version. If prices are unconnected, why is this, some kind of accident?

Yeah I know it's all simples - actually why bother having a thread on Hatton's at all.

A bit harsh - by regular do you mean someone like yourself, who has been here for 10 years, or the person you were replying to, who has been here for 1 year?

Not connected in any way shape or form? I would have thought they are connected by virtue of the fact they are all model trains, which sets the overall market parameters. It is quite common for Hattons to have a pre-owned example for a few quid less than the identical brand new version. If prices are unconnected, why is this, some kind of accident?

Yeah I know it's all simples - actually why bother having a thread on Hatton's at all.

At the risk of incurring whatever, let me try to restate what I think Bernard meant so this thread can get on with matters of substance, viz Hatton's commercial performance rather than impenetrable pricing policies.

There is ample evidence that H's pre-owned prices bear no SIMPLE relationship to any new equivalent, whether or not it relates to an identical model, an earlier release of same or close equivalent. Much hot air, electrons and energy has been wasted, arguably, debating how many Angels will fit on a Pinhead. So perhaps if debate should reappear, from now on define it as an AFOP (Angel fitting on Pinhead) 

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't particularly want to talk about Hattons second-hand prices, but it is a legitimate topic in a thread entitled Hattons, and somewhat more interesting to me than the size of box they send out.

I found Bernard's post dismssive and somewhat patronising, and it also contained the trigger phrase 'simples' which I find infuriating. It really is time people stopped talking and thinking like a Meerkat.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I received an email from Hattons at 15:51 to say that Katie has been packed and passed to Royal Mail so I should have my loco in two working days! The container ship must have arrived earlier than expected!

• RMweb Premium

I don't particularly want to talk about Hattons second-hand prices, but it is a legitimate topic in a thread entitled Hattons, and somewhat more interesting to me than the size of box they send out.

I found Bernard's post dismssive and somewhat patronising, and it also contained the trigger phrase 'simples' which I find infuriating. It really is time people stopped talking and thinking like a Meerkat.

I’m slowly finding there are some members who think that only they can have valid opinions, and others views are not relevant. I appreciate both your comments but fear that because we are not chipped to follow what others believe and have our own free minds with our own opinions we go against the grain, a big no no judging by some, not all, responses. Personally, if some one wishes to disagree then fair cop, but I encourage then to be open and accepting that not everyone will agree and we are all entitled to our own opinions. At the risk of further backlash we are Living in the modern world, not nazi Germany or the such where you will follow suit.

Now moving on, got a great deal on a royal 67, let’s see how long I wait for it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

excellent service from Hattons and DHL pre-ordered the highlander DCC train pack which was sent out on the 9th april and i picked it up at the local DHL at auckland airport NZ on the 12th april

well done Hattons

• Like 1