Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

That's the whole point - Hattons don't send me marketing emails, and they've only ever contacted me about orders I've made, so sending me an email that arrives at 00.40 on the date when new legislation takes effect saying that they need my consent to continue to contact me seems a misinterpretation of the law on their part!

I received the emails much earlier so it could have been delayed in the ether or an automated system was batch-sending and took a time to get through what would have been tens of thousands of recipients. It's not worth trying to make an issue of.

What`s the big deal ?????????????????????????????????????

If it's that much of an issue, don't give them consent. :)

It made me smile, it didn't bother me, it was posted out of amusement. Usual perils of people reading different motives into postings. I'm very happy to continue my 35 year relationship with Hattons  :declare:

• Like 3

But surely we have signed up to the weekly e-mail (if we are interested that is). So they have to check we still want to do that.

Also as past customers we would be on their database so that is another reason.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I don't know, I don't live around there and have just had the one experience!

Perhaps a local person can help?

John.

Sorry to go slightly off topic but I highlighted the situation with the toll bridge a while back in this thread as I had no knowledge of the toll payment method until I happened to have the tv on in the background and north west tonight was on explaining the situation, I even sent a group email to everyone in work with a link to the Mersey toll website as we seem to be getting more work in the Liverpool area and very few people were aware of it, my main concern was as we have pool vans that are registered to a leasing company how are we supposed to pay in advance if we are coming away from Liverpool with a van you may have only picked up 20 minutes previous therefore not knowing the Reg number until you collect it from site, then should I go on line to pay the toll afterwards would it let me pay it if the car isn’t registered to me? These are questions I had that I couldn’t find answers for on the Mersey gateway website

And as a pool van driver should i inadvertently get a penalty notice where does the fine go to, the leasing company or my employer who then have to find who was in the van etc allnof which takes time and the fine racks up?

I’ve advised my drivers that should they need to drive into Liverpool from the south or north wales etc to go (M56), M6, M62 and in that way, it’s longer but a lot less hassle

I don’t consider myself ‘local’ to the bridge even though it’s only about 20 mile form me but as crewe is one of those is it in the north west, is it the midlands places we tend to get central TV, ITV midlands, signal 1 radio which never ran any promos about the bridge toll whereas the likes of the north west TV and radio city, wire FM did, I believe there has been local uproar about the whole handling of the situation with ‘halton’ residents having issues getting vehicles registered for free use of the bridge or getting penalty notices on registered cars

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to have to say this, but I was in the area last week and decided to visit Hatton's place. Coming from the Ellesmere Port direction the satnav pointed us to the old Runcorn Bridge. Having prepaid the toll of £2, approached the bridge to find it.......closed! It was on Sunday, and maybe that's normal. It did mean a detour over the new bridge which added a few extra miles to Hatton's but we did finally arrive. Have to say the shop was a disappointment, very little on show and not a large range. Now I appreciate they're main thrust is mail order and I suspect if I was looking for something specific the staff could have looked it up on their computer and got it from the warehouse, but for someone who just wants to browse, it was a disappointment.

When I was in last month, I was told they are revamping the display area so are running stocks down.

They are going to have to go some now as Rails have certainly set the bar for a cracking showroom!!!

Will be interesting to see what Hattons actually come up with.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Just a short note of my recent experiences with buying from Hatton's via the website. I've started buying more rolling stock and some railway items from their pre-owned section, I'm on a very tight budget so have to buy much older stuff from the likes of Mainline, Airfix GMR and Hornby stuff from the 80's & 90's. A few months back I bought several Ian Kirk Maunsell and Bulleid coach kits, there were several more to get but they all disappeared so I presume someone else discovered them as well....DAMN & BLAST!!! But I was really impressed by the quick delivery and the easy to use website for ordering and they were also far less money than people on Ebay were offereing, so decided to order more when funds became available.

So just purchased a Replica Pannier tank in GWR shirt button livery without couplings and in a replacement box for £25, Perfectly reasonable I thought, I haven;t been able to test it though to find out how it runs so I could be eating my words!!! But it arrived very quickly and as described on the website. I also ordered a Ratio Midland 1st class suburban coach kit described as like new...now the box was a little worn but that isn't a bother and I would expect it but what I didn't expect were parts to be missing from the kit. Both coach body sides were missing as were the wheels so an email sent off to Hatton's who replied within the day with details for returning the item or exchanging. I chose to return the item for a refund, I had an email on Saturday saying that they had organised that so impressed by how quickly they sorted out the problem. A bit disappointed though that no one did the simple task of opening the box and checking the contents before listing the item on the website, I appreciate that when they are given a large collection to dispose of not everything can be gone into detail but a simple opening of the box doesn't take long...took me about 15 seconds to notice the problem.

But still satisfied to buy from Hatton's again and again.

Just a short note of my recent experiences with buying from Hatton's via the website. I've started buying more rolling stock and some railway items from their pre-owned section, I'm on a very tight budget so have to buy much older stuff from the likes of Mainline, Airfix GMR and Hornby stuff from the 80's & 90's. A few months back I bought several Ian Kirk Maunsell and Bulleid coach kits, there were several more to get but they all disappeared so I presume someone else discovered them as well....DAMN & BLAST!!! But I was really impressed by the quick delivery and the easy to use website for ordering and they were also far less money than people on Ebay were offereing, so decided to order more when funds became available.

So just purchased a Replica Pannier tank in GWR shirt button livery without couplings and in a replacement box for £25, Perfectly reasonable I thought, I haven;t been able to test it though to find out how it runs so I could be eating my words!!! But it arrived very quickly and as described on the website. I also ordered a Ratio Midland 1st class suburban coach kit described as like new...now the box was a little worn but that isn't a bother and I would expect it but what I didn't expect were parts to be missing from the kit. Both coach body sides were missing as were the wheels so an email sent off to Hatton's who replied within the day with details for returning the item or exchanging. I chose to return the item for a refund, I had an email on Saturday saying that they had organised that so impressed by how quickly they sorted out the problem. A bit disappointed though that no one did the simple task of opening the box and checking the contents before listing the item on the website, I appreciate that when they are given a large collection to dispose of not everything can be gone into detail but a simple opening of the box doesn't take long...took me about 15 seconds to notice the problem.

But still satisfied to buy from Hatton's again and again.

The Maunsells may well have been me. I bought half a dozen of them. I didn't need the Bullieds as I think I've got enough of the shorties.

Worth keeping an eye on them as there were some last week as well.

Jason

The Maunsells may well have been me. I bought half a dozen of them. I didn't need the Bullieds as I think I've got enough of the shorties.

Worth keeping an eye on them as there were some last week as well.

Jason

You rotten swine...I was hoping no one else had noticed my dirty little secret!!!

Thinking back on it the Maunsell full third low windows I bought one of them had a missing part...one of the body sides but I did have 2 interior corridor panels so I bought a replacement from Phoenix. Also a bit annoying that Hattons hadn't checked that as well. I'm keeping my eye on the Hatton's site for the last Bulleid's they have and also the push pull set but that will have to wait for now

I have generally nothing but praise for hattons service...but they do at times trip up on pre-owned items...if anyone is looking at the MTK class 73 currently their site, do get them to double check what is in the box...as I took delivery of what may be the same item a couple weeks ago when is was advertised as including the motor....there was an empty box that should have contained the motor, no body parts or cabs ...only some wheels, bogie frames buffers and glazing....if it is the same item it's now advertised has motor not included.

I can't fault hattons in their return acceptance of my order and a postage refund and it hasn't put me off using them again.

One pre-owned item advertised on their website - sent a question about it on Wednesday evening, received a reply early on Thursday morning. Basis the reply, ordered the item. I'm told that it arrived at home this morning, via RM 48 service. Superb :)

• Like 1

Just noted that Hattons will be charging GST on Australian orders 10% fom 1 July. I think this means they have significant sales to Oz (>AUD75,000). Presumably smaller suppliers Will not be affected.

Regards

Just noted that Hattons will be charging GST on Australian orders 10% fom 1 July. I think this means they have significant sales to Oz (>AUD75,000). Presumably smaller suppliers Will not be affected.

Regards

In theory all suppliers who sell to Aus customers should collect 10% GST from the 1st July on products worth up to $1000. Over a $1000 is the same as before. 

Hmmm. I was going by this: https://www.ato.gov.au/business/international-tax-for-business/gst-on-low-value-imported-goods/registration/

"your GST turnover from sales that are connected with Australia and made in the course of your enterprise, meets or exceeds the registration turnover threshold of A$75,000 (or A$150,000, if you are a non-profit body)"

But I am no tax expert. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Duple, 

Your right as the price we seem to be charged is generally well inexcess of the retail price when converted from Pound to AUD. The other issue which has been covered at length it is difficult to get  exactly what you want here as the local shops are at the whim of the wholesaler who choose which models and liveries they will order. So if you liked say green BR diesels they may only bring in Blue... the only way is to order from the UK to get exactly what you want! 

Andy, sometimes people beat you too it. May be it was the Finney LNER tender that I was after by the time I had added to the basket, said go to buy, it was already sold. :(

Anyhow it wasn't meant to be.... therefore I could go and buy a full price version from the if I really wanted one. I already have enough kits to build so all is good..

Andy, sometimes people beat you too it. May be it was the Finney LNER tender that I was after by the time I had added to the basket, said go to buy, it was already sold. :(

Point taken, but I purchased it by 'phone, so you would have thought (hoped) that they themselves should have known the availability status at that time?

Point taken, but I purchased it by 'phone, so you would have thought (hoped) that they themselves should have known the availability status at that time?

In a huge warehouse with dozens of pickers?

The person selling you the item on the phone would just have the same information that you have that the item is in stock. Whilst he/she is selling it someone else has probably completed the deal.

Similar thing happened to me earlier as I was looking at a MSL Class 76. By the time I was logging in it had gone.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

I went to the shop for a Woodland Scenics 'Rusty Rail' track painter but they had none in stock. Whilst looking I found one in the 'Steel Rail' box and took it to the counter. The staff member could not process my purchase as he said they did not have any and the one I had found had actually already been sold but the order had not been fulfilled as the item could not be found.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 1

Gosh, they seem to be going from bad to worse. I emailed Hattons a while back to quote me for a loco I had surplus, but wasn't impressed with the offer so didn't do anything about it. The following week, one of their lot rang me asking if I was still interested in selling (possibly because the item was literally as new, discontinued, and they have no stock of it). They raised the offer a bit, I agreed to sell, they emailed the label and I trotted off to the local Collect +. All well and good so far.

In due course it's delivered to Hattons at 1453 hr last Friday. Having heard not a peep, I rang this morning to ask somebody to kindly prevail upon the pre-owned lot to let me know what's what. Having still not heard from them 6 hours later, I ring again, only to be told that they have indeed got it, but nobody's been near it yet to check it over. Apparently that's "because we get so much stock coming into the shop" ...

I'm currently waiting for the promised call back.

ETA - And a mere 19 minutes later, I get the phone call to say item checked, all good, I am now in credit by the agreed amount. Well, I guess I should be grateful ...

Edited by spikey

• RMweb Premium

I went to the shop for a Woodland Scenics 'Rusty Rail' track painter but they had none in stock. Whilst looking I found one in the 'Steel Rail' box and took it to the counter. The staff member could not process my purchase as he said they did not have any and the one I had found had actually already been sold but the order had not been fulfilled as the item could not be found.

so a classic case of “The computer says no...”.

Makes you wonder how many of the problems people are having are still computer reconciliation issues rather than down to physical stock availability.