Make your BMRA 2018 award nominations here.

Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

• Please log in to reply
2162 replies to this topic

#2151 'CHARD

'CHARD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,115 posts
  • LocationA pre-eminent architectural neoavant-garde railway campus of the 1960s opened by Barbara Castle while she had a Scottish closure proposal in her handbag.

Posted Today, 11:57

Pop

Pop into the timeline the Hattons Class 66 announcements - almost certainly part of the issue - and that might add further flavour...

'POP!!!' indeed!

The Ts + Cs are explicit, although - it must be pointed out - this is all supposition, of course!

Despite the impact it's obviously had, and having, I think it's hard not to feel some (a lot of) sympathy for the blue team, in the circumstances.  These terms are signed up to for a very good reason, and if there's a substantive breach, then expect consequences.  This is business, and the two parties aren't playing at it - this is their lifeblood, not a hobby. 

Edited by 'CHARD, Today, 14:23 .

• Agree x 3

#2152 Chamby

Chamby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted Today, 12:34

Pop 

Pop into the timeline the Hattons Class 66 announcements - almost certainly part of the issue - and that might add further flavour...

Hornby have a Class 66 too, don’t forget, but for now they seem to be still supplying Hattons.

#2153 woodenhead

woodenhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted Today, 12:44

Hornby have a Class 66 too, don’t forget, but for now they seem to be still supplying Hattons.

Not quite the same - it's a RailRoad model but Hornby have referenced third party threats in their latest financial statement.

Bachmann also have seen competition from SLW, Accurascale plus their factory relocation issues so not surprising if they are reacting.

#2154 amdaley

amdaley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ireland

Posted Today, 12:51

Not quite the same - it's a RailRoad model but Hornby have referenced third party threats in their latest financial statement.

Bachmann also have seen competition from SLW, Accurascale plus their factory relocation issues so not surprising if they are reacting.

I think Hornby would use any excuse at this stage  :scratchhead:

Third party threats have always been there for every manufacturer.

#2155 mdvle

mdvle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted Today, 14:06

If the model sells out, how does that hurt Bachmann?

It hurts Bachmann in a more subtle, and more future way.  It damages the brand - the customer ordered Bachmann product through an authorized Bachmann retailer and Bachmann then refused to provide said retailer with the product, depriving the customer from the ability to purchase the item.

Said customer then not only complains about Hattons, but also about Bachmann to all their friends/family.  In the future, second thoughts are had about ordering Bachmann announcements as "why order what Bachmann won't supply".

At the end of the day the customer doesn't care who is at fault, because the the longer both stay quiet the longer they both become at fault by depriving the customer the ability to make an informed decision, particularly those customers who aren't connected to the online rumour mills and thus have the ability to make alternate arrangements "just in case"

#2156 woodenhead

woodenhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted Today, 14:11

It hurts Bachmann in a more subtle, and more future way.  It damages the brand - the customer ordered Bachmann product through an authorized Bachmann retailer and Bachmann then refused to provide said retailer with the product, depriving the customer from the ability to purchase the item.

Said customer then not only complains about Hattons, but also about Bachmann to all their friends/family.  In the future, second thoughts are had about ordering Bachmann announcements as "why order what Bachmann won't supply".

At the end of the day the customer doesn't care who is at fault, because the the longer both stay quiet the longer they both become at fault by depriving the customer the ability to make an informed decision, particularly those customers who aren't connected to the online rumour mills and thus have the ability to make alternate arrangements "just in case"

We all know what the issue is and it's pretty obvious, no harm is being done to the Bachmann brand here and people are still going to purchase their products for the same price elsewhere.

This isn't like when Hornby under delivered product and pre-orders were not fulfilled leaving customers high and dry.

• Agree x 4

#2157 Ian Hargrave

Ian Hargrave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,873 posts

Posted Today, 14:57

Sorry that’s fanciful by a country mile.We have I think two other prominent retailers who commission Bachmann on an ongoing basis.No such lack of faith here,I can assure you.Bachmann have always historically had a good working relationship with the retail trade.Many on this forum constantly bemoan all manufacturers of whatever ilk.....but they still buy the product at the end of the day from whomsoever they can get what they consider a good deal.

On this occasion if you preordered or are dependent upon Hattons slick logistics as our overseas members are,then most regrettably you have been disadvantaged.UK residents fortunately have alternative sources.One consideration needs all our attention and that is a
trend of preordering all but certain specifically sourced models such as retailers commissions.i.e those you know you won’t get unless you do sign on the bottom line.

As has been posted already,there have been shortfalls in supply before and Hattons and others have fallen foul of it.

To repeat once more.Bachmann look after their customers and make reparation when things go wrong.as they sometimes do.
  • Like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#2158 Stevelewis

Stevelewis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  • LocationBUCKLEY NR MOLD North Wales

Posted Today, 15:01

My peronal  way  of  purchasing  new  releases  is  to  wait  until  the  item  is  avaiable  and  then  buy it!

Many retailers  send  email info these days  when deliveries are  received  ,

I have never  preordered  anything  over  many  years  of  buying  model railways  and  have  never 'missed out' on anything 

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#2159 Robin Brasher

Robin Brasher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted Today, 15:37

I missed out on the Hornby pull-push sets in a big way by not pre-ordering. I saw one at Morris at Lancing so I thought I would wait until I got back to Swanage to buy one there to support the Railway. The Swanage Station shop had not received any and they had sold out at Hattons. It was about 18 months before I got one and they were 'must have' models for my Swanage layout. I think Hornby had only produced 1,000 whereas about 2,000 people wanted them. Subsequently I have pre-ordered models from Hattons and Rails but I only needed to for the SECR C class. I got caught up badly in the Hattons price guarantee saga and ended up having to pay a lot more than expected for the LBSR E4 which is now in Hattons' sale of the century and a number of other items. I stopped dealing with Hattons for about a year after that as I had been a loyal customer since the 1960s and I was disappointed with their service.

Usually the supply exceeds demand but if it is a 'must have' model I think it is still worth pre-ordering the model. I did well with the SECR C class for about £60 and with Sandringham for about the same amount.

#2160 Robin Brasher

Robin Brasher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted Today, 16:06

I am surprised that Hattons is offering Bachmann's 31-921 H2 Atlantic for £139 in Hattons' 12 deals of Christmas. I thought Hattons had sold out of its pre-order for this model.

I don't know why Hattons needs to discount this model as my nearest model railway shop has sold out of this model at the full price and it has only been out for a few weeks.

It looks like they have had a fresh supply of this model from Bachmann.

• Informative/Useful x 1

#2161 meatloaf

meatloaf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted Today, 16:26

I am surprised that Hattons is offering Bachmann's 31-921 H2 Atlantic for £139 in Hattons' 12 deals of Christmas. I thought Hattons had sold out of its pre-order for this model.

I don't know why Hattons needs to discount this model as my nearest model railway shop has sold out of this model at the full price and it has only been out for a few weeks.

Could have come from olivias

#2162 jf2682

jf2682

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted Today, 16:32

I popped in yesterday as I was in the area to pick up my Christmas present. This was Bachmann's GC liveried Director "Mons", a gorgeous model and good value at £123 in the sale. Collected a BR(WR) green liveried Heljan "Falcon" at the same time. Both these are new stock at prices one might pay on ebay for something pre-owned, perhaps even a bit less.

I'm very pleased having tested and examined them this morning, both absolutely perfect.

John.

It would be a Christmas present just to be able to pop in to Hatton's! ( I live in Canada...) or is it Hattons?

Edited by jf2682, Today, 16:33 .

#2163 woodenhead

woodenhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted Today, 16:43

They came into stock on the 10th October - it is the Southern and LBCSR that are sold out on pre-order.