Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

I notice that most of Hattons pre-owned stock has suddenly disappeared from the website. Site maintenance or a coach party of cashed-up modellers?

We've temporarily hidden most of the pre-owned stock from the website as we're currently in preparations for a full stock take.

Everything will be back in it's normal place on Tuesday.

It's a huge job but it's actually quite fun. 

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think the key is an honest description of the product. If you advertise something as junk then it is the buyer who decides whether or not to buy. The price is what it is and you either think it is acceptable or you shop elsewhere. If a model is advertised as having a major fault then the buyer can make an informed decision, even a model with mazak rot can be useful to break down for spares. What is wrong is advertising something which is obviously afflicted by a major fault such as mazak rot and not making this clear. Experienced modellers will see signs but not all potential buyers will (I suspect s/h is attractive to newer modellers as a cheaper option) and a buyer should be able to expect such a problem to be noted in the description.

Edited by jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Anything which may affect fitness for purpose must be disclosed. It isn't hard to test a loco and declare it a non-runner for example. Even a cursory glance should pick up body damage, missing buffers etc. A reasonably knowledgable eye would quickly spot glue or paint faults, missing sand boxes and other detail. I would expect a listing to indicate clearly what major faults an item might have. To do less may amount to misrepresentation just as would be describing an item as "Like new" when it is no longer like new for any reason.

I am not pointing an accusing fingere here. More like flagging a potential for inconsistency based upon personal experience and the comments of others in this topic. It is of course Hattons' choice what to purchase of all the second-hand items they are offered. It is in all of our interests to then have that described as fully and fairly as is reasonable.

Totally forgot to post on here at the time, but back at the start of  September I paid a visit to Hatton's to collect some stock for my new layout that was at a show that weekend, and I have to say I was really impressed wit hte shop. We were made to feel very welcome - all 6 of us (me, my partner, parents and 2 step kids), the staff were very helpful especially when purchasing extra goodies from the warehouse - the laptop where you can check stock yourself is a nice touch.

We all got a cup of tea or coffee while shopping and the kids got a building off their test layout given to them by the shop, a Burger King and a Cookie Stand which are now on my step sons layout. We all agreed it is one of the best shops around, well worth calling in if you are in the area. I know I will next time I am.

• Like 5

We've temporarily hidden most of the pre-owned stock from the website as we're currently in preparations for a full stock take.

Cheers,

Dave

I'm glad to hear that as I had a look today, as it was payday and hoping to spend a bit of money. It was a bit of a surprise to see most of the stuff had gone missing. Sadly the money got spent elsewhere so perhaps next months payday. 

And we all know why it's a big job but quite fun...you all start playing trains with the stock don't you...come on admit it!!! :senile:  :locomotive:  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 1

Cheers,

Dave

Do give some consideration to dumping the junk first. Broken stuff being offered online at silly prices does nothing for Hattons' image - and we do want Hattons to thrive!

Thanks.

Some of us want the "junk". I've bought loads of non runners or rolling stock with small problems like a broken buffer or no wheels.

Just make sure that things are properly described and all is well.

Don't forget that for some of us that's our local model shop. Just that we now need to use postage rather than the 75 bus.

Jason

Perhaps the "junk" could be realistically priced - its not going to shift at the silly prices - and assigned to a new section, say "car boot sale" or "rummage"  Then the "good" s/h stuff could be put in a proper s/h section and not mixed up with the new merchandise.

Then we'd all know where we are!

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to put the N gauge stuff back, the preowned list is showing "OO" only.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers,

Dave

I wish I got to do stocktakes like that. In my time I've done everything from abattoirs to motor dealerships . Definitely not fun Edited by Legend

Cheers,

Dave

I'm sure this must have been said before, but if you can hide the pre-owned stuff relatively easily, how about a nice big button on the front page that says 'show only new stock'. Then during the browsing session we wouldn't have to keep cancelling the little 'show preowned' tick at the head of each section?

• RMweb Premium

Is anyone else experiencing ordering difficulties with Hatton's at the moment?

I was delighted to see some of those nice Hornby Gresley teak coaches appear on their website this Monday at a price of £35 each, so promptly rang up and ordered a rake of them. I was advised that due to the stocktaking, next day delivery wasn't available but they would be sent by normal delivery (Royal Mail). After I had placed my order, I advised a fellow club member that they had the coaches on sale, he also rang up and ordered two. We were both delighted that a few of these now rare items had become available again.

Tuesday morning, I hadn't received the usual confirmatory e-mail and stock levels on the web page were unchanged. I rang up to check that my order had been accepted - "not a problem, it's just the stock check and every order is on hold until this evening" I was advised, and they reassured me that outstanding orders would be fulfilled in the same order that they had been received, after the stock check was concluded on Tuesday, so I had no reason to be concerned.

That evening, club night, my colleague told me that he had received a confirmatory e-mail from Hatton's as usual, confirming his order was on the system ready for picking. At 8pm that same evening, I also received a confirmation of the balance of my order (one Peco point) but no mention of the rake of teak coaches. I received much ribbing from my club-mates about not being on Hatton's "preferred customer" list unlike my colleague... helpful chaps they all are :-/

So, I wondered whether Hatton's were not being straight with me. Another call at 9am Wednesday morning, another very nice person on the line reassuring me that everything was in order.... until I explained about my colleague's experience and the missing items in my order confirmation. I was advised that it would need investigating and a manager would call me back soon. Nobody rang me back during the day, so at 5pm I rang back for an update, to be told again that everything is OK and my order will be fulfilled, they are just waiting for the stock to be put back on the system following the stock-take, so the order can be picked. As a gesture of goodwill, they will give me free postage on the order!

I have since received confirmation of my order, but only listed as 'to follow' and the order might be delivered split.

I am a regular Hatton's customer and have spent thousands of pounds with them over the last few years as my retirement project progresses. Normally the service is faultless, although on one occasion I have experienced similar difficulties and in the end didn't get my order in full because after two weeks of chasing they finally admitted that the available stock had been 'over sold'. If I recall correctly, that was at a previous stock take. This current situation is spookily similar and based on previous experience, I am now experiencing deja vu and anticipate getting free delivery on an order I am unlikely to ever receive!

Please Hatton's, when you say you will investigate something and call back, please be so kind as to do so. When you say that you will process all orders in the order that they were placed, please kindly do so (Your many customers do talk to each other and the facts do emerge). And if I am not going to receive my order, as now looks highly likely, please be straight with me... don't reassure me over several phone calls, then send me a courtesy e-mail afterwards saying that it is on back-order, when we both know that your chances of getting further stock of these items are highly unlikely.

I was delighted to see some of those nice Hornby Gresley teak coaches appear on their website this Monday at a price of £35 each, so promptly rang up and ordered a rake of them. I was advised that due to the stocktaking, next day delivery wasn't available but they would be sent by normal delivery (Royal Mail). After I had placed my order, I advised a fellow club member that they had the coaches on sale, he also rang up and ordered two. We were both delighted that a few of these now rare items had become available again.

Tuesday morning, I hadn't received the usual confirmatory e-mail and stock levels on the web page were unchanged. I rang up to check that my order had been accepted - "not a problem, it's just the stock check and every order is on hold until this evening" I was advised, and they reassured me that outstanding orders would be fulfilled in the same order that they had been received, after the stock check was concluded on Tuesday, so I had no reason to be concerned.

That evening, club night, my colleague told me that he had received a confirmatory e-mail from Hatton's as usual, confirming his order was on the system ready for picking. At 8pm that same evening, I also received a confirmation of the balance of my order (one Peco point) but no mention of the rake of teak coaches. I received much ribbing from my club-mates about not being on Hatton's "preferred customer" list unlike my colleague... helpful chaps they all are :-/

So, I wondered whether Hatton's were not being straight with me. Another call at 9am Wednesday morning, another very nice person on the line reassuring me that everything was in order.... until I explained about my colleague's experience and the missing items in my order confirmation. I was advised that it would need investigating and a manager would call me back soon. Nobody rang me back during the day, so at 5pm I rang back for an update, to be told again that everything is OK and my order will be fulfilled, they are just waiting for the stock to be put back on the system following the stock-take, so the order can be picked. As a gesture of goodwill, they will give me free postage on the order!

I have since received confirmation of my order, but only listed as 'to follow' and the order might be delivered split.

I am a regular Hatton's customer and have spent thousands of pounds with them over the last few years as my retirement project progresses. Normally the service is faultless, although on one occasion I have experienced similar difficulties and in the end didn't get my order in full because after two weeks of chasing they finally admitted that the available stock had been 'over sold'. If I recall correctly, that was at a previous stock take. This current situation is spookily similar and based on previous experience, I am now experiencing deja vu and anticipate getting free delivery on an order I am unlikely to ever receive!

Please Hatton's, when you say you will investigate something and call back, please be so kind as to do so. When you say that you will process all orders in the order that they were placed, please kindly do so (Your many customers do talk to each other and the facts do emerge). And if I am not going to receive my order, as now looks highly likely, please be straight with me... don't reassure me over several phone calls, then send me a courtesy e-mail afterwards saying that it is on back-order, when we both know that your chances of getting further stock of these items are highly unlikely.

Yes.  Your experience is the same as mine.  Ordered on Monday, phoned to check on Wednesday morning and told "It's OK" but I still haven't seen anything nor is my order showing on the website.  Definitely not up to Hatton's normal standards.

Peterfgf

Is this an issue related to the stock taking, I wonder?  I noticed a couple of days ago in the "new arrivals" a number of older models now in stock.  One example was Hornby's Penrice Castle of which 10 were supposed to be in stock.  I mulled over a purchase for twenty four hours and when I went back to order, the item had disappeared from the website!  Hattons website is normally so reliable that I wonder if there has been a systems issue.  Perhaps Hatton's Dave could comment?

Mmm where have all the pre- owned locos disappeared to ?. Or is the post stock take web site still catching up or had a hiccup...which is unusual for hattons !

Interesting that 00 gauge weathered westerns are still in the pre order stage...which I suspect is nearer the truth than another well known box shifter who lists them as an available bargain...but all sold out but could be ordered.!

Yes.  Your experience is the same as mine.  Ordered on Monday, phoned to check on Wednesday morning and told "It's OK" but I still haven't seen anything nor is my order showing on the website.  Definitely not up to Hatton's normal standards.

Peterfgf

Quite agree. Hattons used to be a bastion of reliability, ethics and trust in this industry. I 'm now not so sure. Like many here I have spend many thousands with them over as many decades. In the last two years I have watched their once impeccable and consistent standard of practices practices erode, bit by bit, very gradually. It is now common for orders to take a week to dispatch, and their pre-owned section is regularly and routinely oversold. I have lost count of the number of refunds issued for this reason in the last year.

Currently, no sign of dispatch for an order placed on 21/9, well before their stocktake.

All of this is a shame, as for me it blights their record of excellence for many years. Others may feel differently. I can only speak as I find.

I find hattons somewhat inconsistent. You can place an order in the morning and it goes that day, a couple of months later and it can take 3 days to be dispatched. That's been the case in the last few years. Certainly this weeks order however hasn't gone well.

On Sunday evening I placed an order, went to check the website on Tuesday as although I'd had the order received email, I hadn't had the order processed/awaiting picking one. Looked at my orders, no sign of it so I emailed them. Received a reply saying we're doing a stock check, we'll get it sent as soon as possible and a few minutes later I got the order processed/awaiting picking email. This morning I still hadn't received a dispatch conformation, so I sent them an email at 11:41. In that email I explained part of the order was for some items I wanted to use this weekend, and therefore if it wasn't going to be here by tomorrow to cancel the order. I got a reply at 13:38 saying sorry for the delay, it's been dispatched today and as its coming via DPD it won't be here until Monday. Even allowing for the stock check on Monday and Tuesday that's over 48 hours to get it dispatched. I've checked the website and the order has now gone and disappeared again from my account, so it seems they're having issues there. I've ended up ordering the points I need for this weekend from track shack (It's meant an extra postage charge but with the 3 points I've ordered I can get my two loops completed for my layout that I've been working on for the last 6-2 months, so quite a milestone which I'm keen to get done this weekend). I placed that order just after 2pm, I'm confident that order will be here by around lunchtime tomorrow with the postie, that's quite a difference in performance.

• RMweb Gold
Hi all,

I’d like to apologise for the delays and issues that have come up over the past week.

The stocktake involved us counting over 500,000 individual items between last weekend and Tuesday this week.

Although we had intended everything to be up and running by the time the stocktake was over, there were some technical issues that arose which have meant our despatch operation has not got back up to speed as quickly as we would have liked.

Rest assured, we are working as quickly as we are able to get all parcels out as soon as possible and will be contacting any customers, where necessary, to resolve any issues with orders.

I know this is not up to our usual levels of service and speed of despatch but we will continue to work to meet and exceed these standards going forward.

Cheers,

Dave

I thought it was too good to be true.  I've just received this email from Hattons:

Good Morning,

I am getting in touch today regarding your most recent order with us.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the delay in fulfilling your order. Following on from our recent stock take, we have become aware of a number of items being offered as ‘In Stock’ inadvertently and we are currently working through these to fulfill them.

There are a small number of orders that we will unfortunately not be able to satisfy and we will be contacting these customers as soon as possible to advise.

Once again I am truly sorry for the delays in processing this order and assure you that we are taking steps to ensure this does not happen again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Richard Davies

Managing Director

Peterfgf

I thought it was too good to be true.  I've just received this email from Hattons:

Good Morning,

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the delay in fulfilling your order. Following on from our recent stock take, we have become aware of a number of items being offered as ‘In Stock’ inadvertently and we are currently working through these to fulfill them.

There are a small number of orders that we will unfortunately not be able to satisfy and we will be contacting these customers as soon as possible to advise.

Once again I am truly sorry for the delays in processing this order and assure you that we are taking steps to ensure this does not happen again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Richard Davies

Managing Director

Peterfgf

Me too. My order was placed Friday before last.  I received the usual "order confirmed" email pretty much instantaneously but am still waiting notification that the order has been picked/packed despite all items on my order being shown as more than 10 in stock on the website at time of order.  I have chased the order on Hattons' chat medium on the website and I am aware of the stock take issues.

Fingers crossed.

Good Morning,

Kind Regards,

Richard Davies

Managing Director

Peterfgf

Me too. My order was placed Friday before last.  I received the usual "order confirmed" email pretty much instantaneously but am still waiting notification that the order has been picked/packed despite all items on my order being shown as more than 10 in stock on the website at time of order.  I have chased the order on Hattons' chat medium on the website and I am aware of the stock take issues.

Fingers crossed.

That stock take must be an awful long one  :mosking:

In September 2016 I spotted a preowned item on their site which I immediately ordered only to be told several days later that the item wasn't in stock at all.

I have also received an email advising me that a preowned LNER locomotive that I had ordered was unfortunately not in stock.

It was unfortunate all right because I hadn't ordered any such loco.

I have no idea what has happened at Hattons to turn a company which was first for service & punctuality into a complete hit & miss company.

As they say "If it aint broken then don't fix it"  

Or should that read " If it aint broken keep at it until it is"

Edited by amdaley