Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Hattons

• Please log in to reply
1643 replies to this topic

#1626 Stanley Melrose

Stanley Melrose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 20:05

More years ago than I can compute, my Dad took me and my (TrixTwin collection of) model railways to Hattons then based in that originally grubby little shop in Smithdown Road and exchanged it for some Graham Farish stock and track.  While I had happily raced the Trix 0-4-0 loco around the track laid out on the dining room table so that it would  leap off the track at the end of the straight sections and on to the (carpeted) floor so I could replace it and start the process again, the Graham Farish Prarie rarely, if ever, started without a prod (because of the two pole motor).  The layout my father started with Peco Individulay was never finished but it did start me on a hobby for a lifetime.

God Bless Norman for starting Hattons in the first place because model railways has given me a lifetime of alternating frustration and pleasure - a bit like the other loves of my life . . .

Stan

• Like x 3
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Agree x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#1627 Colin_McLeod

Colin_McLeod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland.

Posted 08 December 2017 - 20:11

Yes indeed. A big thank you to Norman Hatton for starting up the shop and to his family for keeping it going.
  • Agree x 3
  • Like x 2

#1628 Stevelewis

Stevelewis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • LocationBUCKLEY NR MOLD North Wales

Posted 08 December 2017 - 20:59

Yes indeed. A big thank you to Norman Hatton for starting up the shop and to his family for keeping it going.

I first  visited  Hattons in  the  60s, later in  the  70s & 80s  part  of  my  sales territory for  my long  time  employment  with  a  Major Health  Care  company  would  include Liverpool,  so when in  the  City  I  would  always  visit  Hattons  ( No Sat Nav  or  Spy in  the Cab devices in  those  days  you  really were   your OWN Boss),  I  often  got  into  conversation  with  Norman   mainly  the  conversation  would be  about  0  gauge, which  I was  into  big  time in  those  days, I got  the  impression  that  he  really  admired  some  of  the  0 Gauge models  which he  came  into contact  with  ( Mostly kit built by  experts)

One  of  my  big  regrets  was  not  buying at  least  one  of  the Wrenn Streamlined Coronation class locos  which  were  being  cleared out  at  £25  ( some  years later  these were selling  for  high 3 figure  prices!)  some  visits  though did result  in  me  spending  more  than  a  weeks  salary in  the  shop!

They  always  say  that  a  Salesman  is  the  easiest  person  to  sell to  and  Norman  was  definitely  a  Salesman

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#1629 SRman

SRman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:15

I agree with Phil, above, but would add that for those of us living and ordering from overseas, Hattons often have rather cheaper postal rates than the others. I also shop with Rails, as a satisfied customer of theirs too, and find that frequently the prices from Rails are very slightly cheaper than Hattons' but then Hattons more than makes up the difference with the lower postage costs, or at least those to Australia.

• Agree x 3
  • Informative/Useful x 1
  • Like x 1

#1630 sandwich station

sandwich station

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:38

I think Thebigshot is referring to the price for all 3

Rails Bundle: £139.50 https://railsofsheff...irdcage-coaches
Hattons: £50.96 X3 = £152.88

I to thought that he might be referring to that as well, except his post was about 8 days before that was announced as an advent calendar special. Or is it not quite as special as we are led to believe!

#1631 hughbwilson

hughbwilson

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:18

Once again good service when buying pre - owned models from afar.  Many thanks.

• Like x 1

#1632 leopardml2341

leopardml2341

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,324 posts
  • LocationWillington S. Derbyshire (Yorkshire expat)

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:42

It's dead simple really, if one doesn't like the pricing/the business model/the (insert personal gripe) just don't place your business there.

What point is there in griping here, telling the business directly might be a better bet and likely be taken more seriously.

If a customer like myself has always had good service from Hattons, or other outlet, some of the content vented here is hardly likely to change my perception.

Edited by leopardml2341, 09 December 2017 - 08:42 .

• Agree x 5
  • Like x 1

#1633 Coryton

Coryton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:45

It's dead simple really, if one doesn't like the pricing/the business model/the (insert personal gripe) just don't place your business there.

What point is there in griping here, telling the business directly might be a better bet and likely be taken more seriously.

If a customer like myself has always had good service from Hattons, or other outlet, some of the content vented here is hardly likely to change my perception.

There clearly have been problems at Hattons, quite likely now resolved.

I actually think it's quite useful for people to share their experience here. That way people who had one bad experience know it wasn't just that they were extremely unlucky, and people who haven't used them for a while have been warned that they might not get the speedy delivery they have been used to (even if it was never promised).

Complaining directly doesn't do that. And just because someone posts here doesn't mean they haven't also complained. And in any case we know that Hattons reads this forum...

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#1634 Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:46

I to thought that he might be referring to that as well, except his post was about 8 days before that was announced as an advent calendar special. Or is it not quite as special as we are led to believe!

The bundle was £139.50 before the advent calendar special of £134.50.

#1635 bingley hall

bingley hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:07

There clearly have been problems at Hattons, quite likely now resolved.

I actually think it's quite useful for people to share their experience here. That way people who had one bad experience know it wasn't just that they were extremely unlucky, and people who haven't used them for a while have been warned that they might not get the speedy delivery they have been used to (even if it was never promised).

Complaining directly doesn't do that. And just because someone posts here doesn't mean they haven't also complained. And in any case we know that Hattons reads this forum...

But unfortunately that is not what is happening on here. We have a bunch of internet keyboard warriors trying to big note themselves, intent on making sweeping generalisations that ultimately do not to stand up under scrutiny. 

A tragic waste of bandwith.

Edited by bingley hall, 11 December 2017 - 02:08 .

• Agree x 6

#1636 The Blue Streak

The Blue Streak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:17

An R4228 Hornby Gresley Coach Pack, was the cheapest anywhere seen in the last 12 months, so was duly purchased and arrived here to Country West Oz in 5 working days using standard airmail delivery.

Was listed as used, but is virtually mint, nothing broken or missing and Hatton's postal rates to Oz are dirt cheap too.

Pretty Happy customer here. :D

• Like x 3

#1637 Nelson Jackson

Nelson Jackson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted Yesterday, 17:32

This here was announced and I'm personally very happy! I wonder what paints will be stocked?
http://www.hattons.c...ail.aspx?id=226
  • Informative/Useful x 1
  • Like x 1

#1638 55007A

55007A

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:07

Not everything is running smoothly at Hattons yet,tried to purchase a Bachmann 158 from their used list only to get an email the next day saying that they thought they had the item but when they tried to pick it,it was not actually there.

#1639 Shroomy

Shroomy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPlaxtol

Posted Today, 09:49

Not everything is running smoothly at Hattons yet,tried to purchase a Bachmann 158 from their used list only to get an email the next day saying that they thought they had the item but when they tried to pick it,it was not actually there.

Gotta agree after placing an order Monday and not seeing the order phoned yesterday no order placed so placed it over the phone thought I would just check today to be told there was an IT glitch by Anthony. Trying to get some reassurance that this would be sorted Anthony got quite rude needless to say that hattons wil be seeing as little of my business as I can get away with in the future
Sorry hattons you blew it

#1640 jf2682

jf2682

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted Today, 11:22

Superlative service always, without exception.  I live in Canada, and their quality of packing and choice of delivery company top notch.

#1641 JohnR

JohnR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted Today, 12:28

The second hand list seems to be a bit hit-and-miss - pricing especially. 

Last year, I had asked for emails when they got back in stock R4748, the Hornby ex-LSWR rebuilt coach. Since then, Hornby have produced R4748A, and I have purchased one of these instead for £38.

Yesterday I got an email saying that R4748 was back in stock - over to the website to see that its a second hand version they have, for which they want £40! Still more than 10 in stock of R4748A at £38!

#1642 Hatton's Dave

Hatton's Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationHatton's Model Railways, 17 Montague Road, Widnes, WA8 8FZ

Posted Today, 15:08

Afternoon all,

As Richard mentioned a few weeks ago, we had a film crew visit us to create some videos about what goes on behind the scenes at Hatton's.

We're now able to share the first video from that visit.

You can see the video below:

Hopefully it gives you a good feel for what goes on here.

We'd love to hear what you all think.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hatton's Dave, Today, 15:21 .

• Like x 2
  • Thanks x 1

#1643 Hatton's Dave

Hatton's Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationHatton's Model Railways, 17 Montague Road, Widnes, WA8 8FZ

Posted Today, 15:10

Gotta agree after placing an order Monday and not seeing the order phoned yesterday no order placed so placed it over the phone thought I would just check today to be told there was an IT glitch by Anthony. Trying to get some reassurance that this would be sorted Anthony got quite rude needless to say that hattons wil be seeing as little of my business as I can get away with in the future
Sorry hattons you blew it

Hello Shroomy,

I apologise for the issue on this order. I've spoken to my colleagues and I believe this has now been resolved for you.

If you need anything else from us then please feel free to get back in touch.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hatton's Dave, Today, 15:41 .

• Thanks x 1

#1644 Caddy

Caddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationQueensland

Posted Today, 19:38

Afternoon all,

As Richard mentioned a few weeks ago, we had a film crew visit us to create some videos about what goes on behind the scenes at Hatton's.

We're now able to share the first video from that visit.

You can see the video below:

Hopefully it gives you a good feel for what goes on here.

We'd love to hear what you all think.

Cheers,

Dave

Now we know what happened to the string...........................

Seriously though, a great video and after 60 years dealing with Hattons, first as a resident in Liverpool and now somewhat farther away, they are just part of my life.

Looking forward to the P class ( and don't think I'll be waiting 6 years for it!)

Merry Christmas to everyone at Hattons and thank you.................