Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

It's dead simple really, if one doesn't like the pricing/the business model/the (insert personal gripe) just don't place your business there.

What point is there in griping here, telling the business directly might be a better bet and likely be taken more seriously.

If a customer like myself has always had good service from Hattons, or other outlet, some of the content vented here is hardly likely to change my perception.

There clearly have been problems at Hattons, quite likely now resolved.

I actually think it's quite useful for people to share their experience here. That way people who had one bad experience know it wasn't just that they were extremely unlucky, and people who haven't used them for a while have been warned that they might not get the speedy delivery they have been used to (even if it was never promised).

Complaining directly doesn't do that. And just because someone posts here doesn't mean they haven't also complained. And in any case we know that Hattons reads this forum...

• Like 1

I to thought that he might be referring to that as well, except his post was about 8 days before that was announced as an advent calendar special. Or is it not quite as special as we are led to believe!

The bundle was £139.50 before the advent calendar special of £134.50.

There clearly have been problems at Hattons, quite likely now resolved.

I actually think it's quite useful for people to share their experience here. That way people who had one bad experience know it wasn't just that they were extremely unlucky, and people who haven't used them for a while have been warned that they might not get the speedy delivery they have been used to (even if it was never promised).

Complaining directly doesn't do that. And just because someone posts here doesn't mean they haven't also complained. And in any case we know that Hattons reads this forum...

But unfortunately that is not what is happening on here. We have a bunch of internet keyboard warriors trying to big note themselves, intent on making sweeping generalisations that ultimately do not to stand up under scrutiny. 

A tragic waste of bandwith.

Edited by bingley hall

An R4228 Hornby Gresley Coach Pack, was the cheapest anywhere seen in the last 12 months, so was duly purchased and arrived here to Country West Oz in 5 working days using standard airmail delivery.

Was listed as used, but is virtually mint, nothing broken or missing and Hatton's postal rates to Oz are dirt cheap too.

Pretty Happy customer here. :D

• Like 3

Not everything is running smoothly at Hattons yet,tried to purchase a Bachmann 158 from their used list only to get an email the next day saying that they thought they had the item but when they tried to pick it,it was not actually there.

Not everything is running smoothly at Hattons yet,tried to purchase a Bachmann 158 from their used list only to get an email the next day saying that they thought they had the item but when they tried to pick it,it was not actually there.

Gotta agree after placing an order Monday and not seeing the order phoned yesterday no order placed so placed it over the phone thought I would just check today to be told there was an IT glitch by Anthony. Trying to get some reassurance that this would be sorted Anthony got quite rude needless to say that hattons wil be seeing as little of my business as I can get away with in the future

Sorry hattons you blew it

• RMweb Gold

The second hand list seems to be a bit hit-and-miss - pricing especially. 

Last year, I had asked for emails when they got back in stock R4748, the Hornby ex-LSWR rebuilt coach. Since then, Hornby have produced R4748A, and I have purchased one of these instead for £38.

Yesterday I got an email saying that R4748 was back in stock - over to the website to see that its a second hand version they have, for which they want £40! Still more than 10 in stock of R4748A at £38!

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

As Richard mentioned a few weeks ago, we had a film crew visit us to create some videos about what goes on behind the scenes at Hatton's.

We're now able to share the first video from that visit.

You can see the video below:

Hopefully it gives you a good feel for what goes on here.

We'd love to hear what you all think.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Gotta agree after placing an order Monday and not seeing the order phoned yesterday no order placed so placed it over the phone thought I would just check today to be told there was an IT glitch by Anthony. Trying to get some reassurance that this would be sorted Anthony got quite rude needless to say that hattons wil be seeing as little of my business as I can get away with in the future

Hello Shroomy,

I apologise for the issue on this order. I've spoken to my colleagues and I believe this has now been resolved for you.

If you need anything else from us then please feel free to get back in touch.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 1

Afternoon all,

As Richard mentioned a few weeks ago, we had a film crew visit us to create some videos about what goes on behind the scenes at Hatton's.

We're now able to share the first video from that visit.

You can see the video below:

Hopefully it gives you a good feel for what goes on here.

We'd love to hear what you all think.

Cheers,

Dave

Now we know what happened to the string...........................

Seriously though, a great video and after 60 years dealing with Hattons, first as a resident in Liverpool and now somewhat farther away, they are just part of my life.

Looking forward to the P class ( and don't think I'll be waiting 6 years for it!)

Merry Christmas to everyone at Hattons and thank you.................

Something has been awry at Hatton's recently. As I posted elsewhere, they emailed me to say that the DCC-fitted Dapol streamlined railcar #8 production had been cancelled, hence my order was cancelled by Hattons.  No sooner than I had ordered the (non-fitted) version from elsewhere they came into stock at Hattons.  My previous order had been for couplers, and I had requested that they be sent with another order, but they were sent separately.  

• RMweb Gold

The second hand list seems to be a bit hit-and-miss - pricing especially. 

Last year, I had asked for emails when they got back in stock R4748, the Hornby ex-LSWR rebuilt coach. Since then, Hornby have produced R4748A, and I have purchased one of these instead for £38.

Yesterday I got an email saying that R4748 was back in stock - over to the website to see that its a second hand version they have, for which they want £40! Still more than 10 in stock of R4748A at £38!

If you think that's odd, there was a s/h Hornby Black Motor on the other day for about £30 more than they are currently charging for new ones..........

John

• RMweb Gold

If you think that's odd, there was a s/h Hornby Black Motor on the other day for about £30 more than they are currently charging for new ones..........

John

Bizarrely not an uncommon occurrence.Its "rationale" escapes me. Maybe a secret commercial formula unique to Hattons ?

• RMweb Gold

Yes, if it sells - big win, if it doesn't drop the price a little - pretty much what happens with new items.

But surely not when identical items are new stock on other parts of their website. And do the prices of these second hand items actually drop... .? Call me old fashioned if you like but I'd say that was pretty cynical.

It's no skin off their nose though is it, one day it will be the only one in stock and then wham they have a sale.

As with anything, let the buyer beware - is that more costly second hand unique enough to pay the difference or can i buy the brand new one.  When it's the same running number etc then why would you buy it now, but in a few months maybe.  Also it may reflect the price they paid for it plus mark up against what they paid Hornby for the new stock plus mark up.

I had my eye on some pre owned Maunsells and in the end i purchased from Monks Bar and Ebay where I got better prices by £12 overall for the two coaches I wanted.

But surely not when identical items are new stock on other parts of their website. And do the prices of these second hand items actually drop... .? Call me old fashioned if you like but I'd say that was pretty cynical.

Why should there be any connection between the new and used sections of the website?

I would have thought that any good business would set prices after checking on current trends in the market place.

Rather than cynical I would call it fortunate that Hattons sell both new and second hand items.

If I want to purchase any item I check availability, price and the reputation of the supplier and place one or multiple orders accordingly.

Hattons do tend to get a lot of my business as they more often than not meet my requirements.

There is obviously a strong second hand market so good luck to them. If folks don't do their homework it is not Hattons fault.

Bernard

• Like 1

Seems like the new person is doing 2nd hand again, yesterday they uploaded a Dapol A4 60017 Silver Fox as new for £108 - but as new has a chimney missing and what appears to be bobbles on the tender for £108, shock horror it was gone by last night so I thought maybe someone has bought it. Imagine my surprise when it came up today with the damage listed but now at £110 http://www.hattons.co.uk/334521/Dapol_ND128B_SD01_A4_class_steam_locomotive_and_tender_60017_Silver_Fox_in_BR_lined_green_with_ear/StockDetail.aspx

Can't imagine the damage makes it worth more

I've had nothing but good service from Hattons. Period.    

Since I sell as well as buy perhaps I have a different perspective, but I admire the work they put in, and they are unfailingly polite and very fast to reply to questions or requests.

By contrast the Rails Ebay store banned me from bidding. Why? Because they sent a £100+ model loose n a large carton, no padding, received damage which I chose to fix rather than return, and I committed the sin of giving them bad feedback on that sale, and wouldn't change my feedback to good in exchange for a £10 credit on my next purchase. This was three years ago, I am still banned.  Rails normal retail is brilliant, so no problems there.

Just my twopennyworth.

• Like 1

they have cancelled my pre order for Farish class 40141 not enough stock to fill all orders

I have had good service from Hattons over the years, but recently have had an order cancelled by them due to a misunderstanding with the manufacturer. Within a day or so they had stock. I presently have the SECR Birdcage set on preorder, but it now shows 'sold out on preorder' on my order history and the coaches have disappeared from their Web site.  Rail and Kernow have good stocks however.  I guess that I need to take a deep breath and wait, hoping all's well. I'll contact them if nothing happens soon.

• Like 1

I have had good service from Hattons over the years, but recently have had an order cancelled by them due to a misunderstanding with the manufacturer. Within a day or so they had stock. I presently have the SECR Birdcage set on preorder, but it now shows 'sold out on preorder' on my order history and the coaches have disappeared from their Web site.  Rail and Kernow have good stocks however.  I guess that I need to take a deep breath and wait, hoping all's well. I'll contact them if nothing happens soon.

I received my SE&CR dark lake birdcage brake composite lavatory coach yesterday from Hattons. They have not yet received the other SE&CR birdcage coaches yet. I have noticed that Rails often get their stock in before Hattons. The SE&CR coaches have not yet arrived at the Swanage Station shop either. I think it is best to wait to see what happens.