• RMweb Gold

I have just spent a marvellous weekend at Missenden Abbey learning how to weather my stock, both steam era and diesel/electric. I don't recollect seeing anything about this course anywhere on RMWeb and wonder why that might be. If anybody is keen to learn how to weather their stock then in my opinion there is no better way to find out.

The accommodation is good, the food is good and the company is excellent. I found a wealth of knowledge on all the subjects you could think of regarding railway modelling, and came away newly inspired to progress with my own layout.

Techniques used were airbrushing, weathering powders, dirty washes, designers gouache and dry brushing. Materials included enamel and acrylic paints, opaque washes and translucent filters. Equipment buying advice was extremely helpful, from the right type of airbrush to use for which method right down to what to use to support a vehicle when weathering one side.

Has anybody else been to one of these weekends? I'd be interested to see how useful any of the other subjects being taught had been to the student. I had the opportunity to walk around other groups and see what was being done, ask questions and discuss techniques and materials.

I have included photographs of a Class 37 and milk tank that I completed during the weekend and would be pleased to have people's comments on them. I think I should go on a photography course next!post-2194-0-30420600-1350316679_thumb.jpgpost-2194-0-87997700-1350316724_thumb.jpg

I am making a new web site for the Missenden Modellers which I hope to have up before long. As a consequence, I have not spent as much time on the current site as I would otherwise have done, updating it, so please be aware of this.

If you have any questions, please send me an email or PM.

I will add that Mick's weathering has come on leaps & bounds at Missenden and you should see the other items he has worked on. Well done, Mick.

David

I don't recollect seeing anything about this course anywhere on RMWeb and wonder why that might be.

If you look at the RMWeb Event Calendar for this month, you will see that Chris Langdon entered the basic details of the weekend with accompanying links. It is still being shown there as we are still in October.

Good to hear positive feedback. I have seen these courses advertised many times and have been really tempted to book one. Having read your post and seen your work, I'm going to revisit their website.

I also can't emphasise enough how friendly everyone is at Missenden. We're all there to get some modelling done in a convivial environment, no matter what the standard or scale.

This was my first Autumn weekend, after doing the last three Spring weekends. It provided a much needed burst of enthusiasm to me, after a summer when work had prevented me from doing very much modelling at all.

Whether you just want to get on with some undisturbed modelling, or whether you want to draw on the expertise of the tutors to help you with a tricky problem, or learn some new skills (the soldering demonstrations are always popular, as are weathering and tracklaying) there will be something in it for you.

I must get round to booking my Spring Course later today...

Cheers

Flymo

I am so pleased that you all enjoyed the weekend.

In addition to weekends, we will have another Summer Retreat 18th-23rd August 2013. Imagine how much youy can achieve in a week!

The Spring weekend will be 8-10th March 2013 and the Autumn Weekend will be 11-13th October 2013 (with a cutting edge new topic). See website for details.

Christopher Langdon

I too attended the weathering workshop and went from sombody who had never weathered anything or used an airbrush to the proud owner of three weathered Loco coal trucks - and left with a desire to learn and do more.

I also attended the spring 2011 workshop to get a good leg up into understanding the electronics side of MERGs CBUS kit for controlling accessories on my layouts - now I'm teaching others....

If anybody wants to get a good introduction to a new area of modelling, learn some new skills or improve some existing ones, then these courses are what you need, They are friendly, relaxed and hands on, hosted by tutors who write articles in the magazines we read or feature on the RightTrack DVDs. Another (un-advertised) benefit is that you can step into any other course to get advice, to see what others are doing or decide if that course or technology would be the one for your next visit.

Ian

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had another  excellent weekend at Missenden under Mick Bonwick's skilled guidance - paint and real Ale - what could possibly go wrong? 

Anyway Mick kindly  took some photos of some of my blue diesels and they are attached here.

First up is a Hornby 08.

post-1107-0-36725300-1508875319_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-24398000-1508875154_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-00317600-1508875212_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-04037500-1508875235_thumb.jpg

The 24 was only partly completed - more to follow hopefully.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having returned from the 2019 Spring weekend I thought I ought to post some photos from my excellent weathering classes with Mick Bonwick. A bit of a mixture but reflecting my wide interests..

Miss OBA.JPG

Miss Queen Mary.JPG

Miss SD39.JPG

Miss SR BV.JPG

Miss VTG.JPG

Miss 3F 2.JPG

Miss 3F 3.JPG

Miss 4F.JPG

Miss 07.JPG

Miss 08.JPG

Miss 16T.JPG

Miss 25.JPG