NCB North British shunter

Some photo`s of the Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Society`s NCB North British shunter

post-11150-0-90814600-1350419269_thumb.jpg

post-11150-0-28099100-1350419295_thumb.jpg

post-11150-0-27006400-1350419334_thumb.jpg

post-11150-0-64415000-1350419365_thumb.jpg

The engine has not turned a wheel in 17 years (it`s on our to do list - somewhere near the bottom) at our recent open day I spoke with a retired NCB fitter, who was incandecent with rage at the very idea that this engine be preserved. He spoke at great lenth at the hundreds of hours he had spent trying to keep the bloody thing working - it even broke down when it was being delivered to the Wellsley pit. Personally I liked it at the Lochty railway - it sounds just like a class 20 - same whistle from the turbocharger and a very powerfull locomotive.

I dont like the metal bars over the engine doors or the metal plates over the windows, but it`s what we have to do to keep the vandals & metal theives at bay.

Just hope something is done to it as it is the last complete 0-6-0 DH that NB built. There is another one which is ex Cardiff East Moor works but the engine was taken out when it was at the Avon Valley Railway.

Another engine which Judith Edge is planning to bring out as a kit.

That`s great news, I am building a class 06 in 7mm from a "Judith Edge" kit at the moment - did not know "Judith Edge" were planning an NBL 0-6-0 DH ( stick me down for one ). As for the real thing we have a very determined loco department ( just two pensioners ) who are busy at the moment with the "Dubbie pug" but when they tell you it`s on there list - it will happen - I am sure they will make it happen

• 2 weeks later...

"at our recent open day I spoke with a retired NCB fitter"

Which pit was he talking about? The loco worked a long time at Bowhill.

I assumed he was talking about the Wellsley pit (at Methil) but it could have been Bowhill (Cardenden), I was struck by how much he hated this loco, he seemed dissapointed to learn that it was still on this earth. Most people are pleased and surprised that some locomotive they had a personal connection to has survived into preservation, not this guy - he would have set in about it with a burner torch if he had the chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That`s great news, I am building a class 06 in 7mm from a "Judith Edge" kit at the moment - did not know "Judith Edge" were planning an NBL 0-6-0 DH ( stick me down for one ). As for the real thing we have a very determined loco department ( just two pensioners ) who are busy at the moment with the "Dubbie pug" but when they tell you it`s on there list - it will happen - I am sure they will make it happen

I've just found these photos, I didn't know where this loco was until recently. Basic design work is complete, aimed at this loco, the NCB Durham area locos and the Cardiff East Moors variety. I've just got the test etch in 4mm scale, I'll see when I build it how many variations I can include.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

I've just found these photos, I didn't know where this loco was until recently. Basic design work is complete, aimed at this loco, the NCB Durham area locos and the Cardiff East Moors variety. I've just got the test etch in 4mm scale, I'll see when I build it how many variations I can include.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

If you require any measurements taken or details photographed, PM me - happy to help I am at the KFRPS twice a week.

It would seem that both Respite & I are correct, the "North British" shunter was delivered new to Wellsley colliary, one of four of the class, it was transferred to Bowhill colliary after the Wellsley closed. The NCB donated it to the Fife Railway Preservation Society who used it on the Lochty Railway.

Michael Edge, I will get photographs of the inside of the cab on Saturday and post them on this forum, it may assist your potential customers ( me included )detailing there Judith Edge kits.

• 2 months later...

Looks virtually identical to the interior of my 330hp, same seats/sandboxes and control desk. I love that machine - c'mon KFRPS, get it sorted!

Good news, a new member has joined us an Australian diesel fitter ( from new south wales I belive ) he is looking for a project, guess what we offered him, arrangements are made to have it hauled into the shed - keep you posted as things develop

• 1 year later...

After looking through these great pictures again I have noticed that in the cab there is one of the crankcase panels, I hope that this a spare as if it is left off for some time you could be making more work for yourselves as rust will get into the MAN engine very quickly 

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is it true the KFRPS depot will be open this Sunday 31\5 with trains running?

I saw it on blog, not their website... May call in if open.

Dava

• 1 year later...

Archived