N Gauge Society Goes West with its 5th Ready-to-Run Model

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

Full announcement here.

http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=202&cntnt01returnid=171

In many ways a sensible move. Personally I would probably prefer the Hawksworth BG as I have built a few of the similar K40 Collett BGs from the TPM conversion kit. Oh well, I am sure there are people who have done the same with Alan's kit.

I guess my biggest hope was that it would lead to a fuller range of Hawksworth stock from Dapol in time. The K41/42 is roughly contemporary with Dapol's existing Collett stock. While it is good that they will compliment them, it is a shame that it is less likely to lead to a full new range.

Ah, but who's to say the cancellation will have an effect on our plans to do them or not? :dontknow:

cheers

Dave

Full announcement here.

http://www.ngaugesoc...t01returnid=171

In many ways a sensible move. Personally I would probably prefer the Hawksworth BG as I have built a few of the similar K40 Collett BGs from the TPM conversion kit. Oh well, I am sure there are people who have done the same with Alan's kit.

I guess my biggest hope was that it would lead to a fuller range of Hawksworth stock from Dapol in time. The K41/42 is roughly contemporary with Dapol's existing Collett stock. While it is good that they will compliment them, it is a shame that it is less likely to lead to a full new range.

Ah, but who's to say the cancellation will have an effect on our plans to do them or not? :dontknow:

Sometimes I almost think you just enjoy winding us up.

Almost. ;)

For what it is worth, I would definitely love to see some N gauge Hawksworths at some point.

• RMweb Premium

cheers

Dave

Can you concentrate on the existing backlog first?! ;)

(ie Mk3 buffets, TGS, TF in I/C Executive, Maunsells, IOA, MJA, HIA, JNA, class 27, 33, 50, 52, 59, 142, BoB, Schools etc).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Ah Chris, cynical eh? Lol but I will say that I am looking at Hawksworth coaches for the Dapol range to hopefully enhance our rolling stock range.

Whether they arrive or get officially announced is another thing.

As for 27's? They went to the magazines for review today, the buffets are 3-4 weeks away, and the rest are in the 2012-2013 catalogue.

Cheers

Dave

As for 27's? They went to the magazines for review today, the buffets are 3-4 weeks away, and the rest are in the 2012-2013 catalogue.

Not quite sure whether in the catalogue counts as a result. On my track is where I prefer them. :-)

But if you are in thinking mode, can we please please have some suburbans of some sort - LNER or LMS. Look how the Hornby ones fly off the shelves in 4mm scale. Whereas their Hawksworths ended up being sold off at big discounts.

Chris

Whereas their Hawksworths ended up being sold off at big discounts.

Lots of shops, particularly the large ones will sell at up to 25% off RRP. I think a big discount is just a reflection of the fact that Hornby priced the Hawksworths as premium coaches. I am sure Dapol know the state of the N gauge market. I suspect that N gauge Hawksworths priced around the same level as their Mk3 coaches would sell well.

Having said that, some pre-nationalisation suburban stock would be very welcome. The early 30s collett suburban stock built for the services out of Paddington might be a good place to start as I believe they are to the same basic dimensions as the B-sets. You could probably create a decent range with a 3rd, composite and brake 3rd bodyshell on the existing B-set chassis. I would have to double-check my copy of Russell to be sure but it seems like a good way to break into the suburban market for just the cost of the bodyshells rather than an entire coach tooling.

The N gauge society website has announced that they are no longer going to produce the Hawksworth BG but the Collett one instead. An eminently sensible decision in my opinion and good news for Alan at Etched Pixels.

Jerry

Its a nice choice but the Hawksworth roof reworking is now back of the queue and I've started the Thompson and other roof profiles I need so it'll take time unless I can find someone who will run them manual/semi-auto and is competent (unfortunately it seems that competent, sane and doing manual/semi-auto plastic moulding with old tools are mutually exclusive so far - can't think why 8) ).

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

From a personal perspective, I'm happy to see that this is going down the Collett route because I could certainly use one or two myself.

At the risk of teaching people to suck eggs... the pressed steel bogies on the BGs (both Collett and Hawksworth) are not the same as those on passenger carrying vehicles. They have shorter springs and smaller footsteps.

Hoping that the NGS vehicle will have the correct bogies... but if not then etches may be an alternative.

Lots of shops, particularly the large ones will sell at up to 25% off RRP. I think a big discount is just a reflection of the fact that Hornby priced the Hawksworths as premium coaches. I am sure Dapol know the state of the N gauge market. I suspect that N gauge Hawksworths priced around the same level as their Mk3 coaches would sell well.

The Hornby Hawksworths were priced at the same level as the Gresley suburbans. At the moment you can easily purchase the Hawksworths at around 15.00 pounds each on ebay, you will struggle to find a Gresley at all to buy. Of course it could be down to getting the production levels wrong. But it seems to me obvious that a Gresley suburban prototype produced in much greater numbers over a far longer period will sell better than a coach which in reality mostly only appeared in BR days and hardly lasted beyond the mid 60s.

Chris

But it seems to me obvious that a Gresley suburban prototype produced in much greater numbers over a far longer period will sell better than a coach which in reality mostly only appeared in BR days and hardly lasted beyond the mid 60s.

Ah but people do not buy models in proportion to the number of the prototype that existed.The Gresleys are good if you wish to model the LNER suburban services around the big cities. The Hawksworth coaches could appear anywhere from Paddington to Penzance. Also they served on crack expresses and were later cascaded down to secondary and even branchline workings making them very flexible. While not especially long lived, their 20-year lifespan sits squarely in the ever-popular transition era.

As a western modeller I freely admit my bias of course but it is worth remembering that numbers alone do not tell the whole story (although sales figures might).

The other thing to remember is that the gresley suburbans are brand new while the hawksworths have been out for a couple of years which partly explains the state of the 2nd hand market on eBay.

The Gresleys are good if you wish to model the LNER suburban services around the big cities.

Or many of the rural branch lines, which I suspect are more popular as modelling subjects than the suburban lines. Thompson and Gresley non-corridor stock was used a lot on the lines around Whitby for example.

Andy

Archived