Coldgunners O gauge thread

Coldgunner

Home now. Track winging its way to me, as is the Ivor the Engine DVD. I need to check out things like additional rolling stock etc. Can anyone give me some advice? I have a soldering iron and same straightforward solder, but I've seen video's with a fairly runny kind that would probably be more suitable, can anyone point me in the right direction? I'll be picking up tools as and when I need them.

I chose this the be getting on with, as well as the correct wheelset from slaters.

http://www.justliket...-kit-p-174.html

Jan%2007%2008%20299.JPG

Looking at this image, it seemed to fit the bill for an item of rolling stock, as well as being good to try out.

ivor-the-engine_1.jpg

http://wharferj.word...vor-the-engine/

... just remember I'm not after total accuracy, but realism.

This thread reminds me to get on and finish mine - only mine's a model of the "full size" one, which differs from the TV version in a few places, most notably that the front scrollwork forms a downwards curve rather than an upwards one (a frown rather than a smile!) to avoid the smokebox door, and the side tanks are dummies (they actually hinge upwards to enable access to the motion!)..

I've converted mine from a Dapol Pug (only lining and aforementioned scrollwork to do) - the "real thing" is converted from a Peckett 0-4-0ST and is currently on the Cholsey and Wallingford alongside Northern Gas Board No1 which is an "unconverted" Peckett!

I'm certain he did, I'm watching through the series, making mental notes, especially when referring back to my original project outline.

A few points I wish to make though:-

- Ivor will eventually be part of a larger collection of genuine prototypes, and I want him to fit in in such a way.

- Sound is a dead cert, and the result of that desire is DCC from the outset. I've done some preliminary work on this, having obtained and tried to clean up sound samples. Especially to allow the sound to 'loop' well.

- I can make Bluebells wagon relatively easily, just having a tipper wagon without a tipper.

- I'll also need to make Bluebell, but I'll be looking for just a regular Donkey figure for the wagon.

- Smoke, if I can fit a unit then I'll do it, depending on how much room the motor leave and dcc equipment leaves.

- Jones the Steam, Dai Station etc will be fairly represented, I'll have a look at perhaps kitbashing something out of pre-assembled figures.

There isn't a layout unfortunately, although I'd like to attempt the shed and water tower. I'm talking way down the line with that though. I'm using this project to build upon my limited skills to be able to start building O gauge pacifics.

For your wagon, you could use your liquid cement and make a good job, but I prefer a liquid solvent that you brush on with a small paint brush. It makes a really good join and you don't have to worry about getting glue everywhere.. as much.

Once you've completed your wagon, I would use Halfords grey primer and lightly spray all over. For the wagon you are doing, this would make an excellent base colour leaving you to paint in the black and weather. If using humbrol, get a pipette and drop a few drops of well mixed paint on to a pallet (I use the foil from chinese take aways) and thin with humbrol thinners about 50/50 and brush paint the chassis. It will need two or more coats over a day or two to make sure the paint is dry, but you'll have a brushstroke free finish and any that you do see will be minimal.

Shot of my progress, some bits are missing on the rigging as it didn't seem to fit, so I left them off rather than try to force it. Had to chop the axles a tad, and still have to fit the buffers and paint it. Not a bad effort if I do say so myself, the detail on these is incredible compared to 4mm and 2mm offerings. I also think my wheels are a bit far apart, but it doesn't matter too much.

8159171052_70aea19e38_c.jpg

DSCF3892 edit by Coldgunner, on Flickr

Anyone know of a good supplier of 1-2mm drill bits? Managed to split one of the buffer 'housings'. Fortunatley there is two sets withing the kit. Can anyone recommend a good BR 20t brake van kit?

Off to Warley in a couple of weeks too, hopefully I can pick up a new kit there.

Guest Isambarduk

"Anyone know of a good supplier of 1-2mm drill bits?"

I use The Drill Service www.drill-service.co.uk; they are not the cheapest in the world but their drills are very good and well worth the little extra because they are sharp and they stay that way. They have a huge selection but for our purpose a 'jobber' is all that is needed

(see www.drill-service.co.uk/Product.asp?Parent=020080240000&Tool=394)

Drills in the range 1mm to 2mm cost about 50p to 80p and, if you make up a bit of an order, there is no postage within the UK for orders over £10.

David

Fitted the buffer 'housings' and I've rebuilt most of the undercarriage. I broke one part, but fortunately it wasn't load bearing or vital to smooth running. Not entirely convinced the buffer housing will let themselves be drilled without splitting. Two choices, attempt to drill the holes (well, widen) or chop the buffers down to a few mm, and fix them on directly.

No pictures to show today, but a little update is in order I think.

The idea of developing Ivor out of the connessieur kit has been shelved in light of developments, although I may still build one of these kits before I build Ivor as a test bed for my developing skills. My wagon is half painted, standard brush applied model paint seems to give a nice "rough" texture on the frames. I think the body will be masked then sprayed, with detail brush painted. I'm still in two minds as to 'branding' it or not, we'll see.

Hopefully my trip to Warley will yield some goodies, thinking about tackling the shed in a sort of diarama, still undecided about that, but the water tower looks like fun to model.

The project continues.

Had a nice chat at Warley with Pete, it was a pleasure to meet him and observe some of his work. Marvellous stuff! JLTRT NE van kit on the way too. Along with the Dapol GW 7 plank I picked up on Saturday, I've got a nice little rake going on. Next items on the agenda is a BR 20T brake van and a hopper.

Will post pics as soon as I've got something to show, I just want to demostrate that this project is alive and well!

Archived